• Yes, but only to play!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm not into it...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Robin

Wario's ironical daughter!
Diamond City Insider
Hey, it's me again, with my crazy ideas!

Since I started collecting Pokémon Cards and Magic, and after I played Smash for the first time, I always wanted to see a card game featuring video game characters, items, scenarios and other stuff.

Last night, I couldn't sleep, so I took the time to think about that idea. I made a set of rules, that can be perfected, in order to play with said cards. I will share my idea about game rules after I see what kind of feedback I get from this.

I also got the idea from Boo's Mansion. They had a similar idea, and I loved those tiny pixel art cards they had.

Aside from the game, the cards are collectibles. There are rare, uncommon and common cards. These cards would feature everything that I can remember from pretty much all video games out there, any console.
As collectible, they come in sets. I have here 3 cards from the NES set:

VGTCG NES 1 Mario.png VGTCG NES 2 Link.png VGTCG NES 3 Samus Aran.png

(From left to right, top to bottom)
There's the name of the character,
life points,
simple image (iconic illustration from the game),
type of card (in both cases they are "Main Character" cards, I'll explain that in the rules),
rarity (Green circle = common, Red circle = uncommon, Star = rare),
habilities and attacks (like Pokémon and Magic),
company logo (of course),
game where this card was created from, with release date! :p

The front of the cards will also have the style of the console they're from, which is basically the set. In this case, it's obviously the NES, but imagine purple cards for the GameCube, white with blue circles for the Wii, etc...

So, to explain a bit more, Mario has 3 life points and a Jump attack, which deals 2 hearts of damage. However, Link can't attack like Mario. You need to attach a "Sword" Item card to place him on the table (Stage). Also, by using the sword to attack, Link deals 1 heart of damage plus the sword damage count (if he uses the sword to attack). You would be able to select the weapon you want to attack with, as in, Link has to come into play with a sword, but he can be given a hammer at anytime to attack.

The idea was to make this collection available on a website, like a gallery, in homage to our favorite games. My initial idea was also to play the game on my channel, and each encounter or item I would get, I would make a card appear on the video and I would add the card to the overall collection on that "supposed" website.

Wow... why do I have such complicated ideas... Let me know if you want me to detail the rules or if it's just too boring and you think I should stop here! xD

EDIT:
Oh, and btw, this idea sounds perfect with this music:

Last edited:
Well, I figured I'd share the rules for the game part of the TCG. Maybe it will be more interesting, then.

Introduction

VG TCG (Name TBD) is a card game, in which players use their favorite elements from classic video game franchises, and duel against another player. The objective of the game is take the opponents lives away. The first to do so will win the game.
The idea is to promote competitive card playing with and easy to understand gameplay, but still to bring a challenge for more advanced players.

Terminology

In order to reflect the Video Game aspect, VG TCG uses some specific words to describe itself. Other words that are common to other games will also be listed here for reference:

Player: person playing the game;
Stage: the game area, where players place their cards to play;
Buff / Debuff: Effects that help or impair the player/card;
Deck: the deck of cards;
Extra-Lives: Number of tries of each player. Once the extra-life count reaches zero, the game ends;
Despawn stack: commonly known as the discard pile, it's the place where all used cards are stacked. They can be brought back under specific circumstances;
Game Over stack: consists of a Despawn stack, however, cards that land there cannot be brought back in the game;
Party: Group of cards that are placed in the game, ready to replace the main card when needed;
Inventory: the player's hand. A set of cards that the player uses to play. These are drawn from the Deck;
Battle: moment in the game when two cards face each other. Details in the basics.

Basics

There is a set of basic rules players must follow in order to set up the game.

1 - The game is two players. No more, no less. More players can be added in the future if the rules work with more than two player setups.
2 - A Deck of cards has a max limit of one hundred (100) cards and a minimum of ten. When there's no more cards in the Deck, the Despawn stack is shuffled and used as a new Deck. In case there is no cards in the Deck nor the Despawn stack, the game continues, but the player will not be able to draw new cards.
3 - Each player has five lives, at the begining of the game. This number can be changed for a game upon agreement.
4 - The Stage is organized as follow:

In front of the Player, one row of Party member cards, in which you can add up to five cards.
On the right of the Party row lies the Deck.
In front of the Deck, the Despawn stack, and after it, goes the Game Over stack.
At the front of the Party row, from left to right, there's a row with a designated area for Buff cards, the main card and a scene card area.
In the very front of the Stage, from left to right, there's a row with a designated area for Debuff cards and a designated area for Event/Trap/Obstacle cards.

Stage.png

Of course, there should be, at most, only the Party, Main, Scene and Deck at the start of a game.

5 - Players battle using Character cards. These can be Goom Cards or Main Character cards. The first card to be placed on the Stage is the Main. It is the only card that can enter a Battle. Up to five other cards of the same type can be placed in the Party.

6 - Scene cards increase the damage of certain cards, depending on the description. Only one Scene card can be placed on the Stage. Picture the Scene card as the "skin" of your part of the Stage. It is possible to switch the Scene card after meeting certain conditions.

7 - At the start of a game, both Players shuffle their Decks and draw ten cards. Of these ten cards, choose three to put back in the Deck. Reshuffle the Deck. The remaining seven cards are now the Player's Inventory.

8 - Flip a coin to decide who goes first. On the first turn of each Player, no attacks are allowed.

9 - There is no need to place any card in the Stage, however, the chances of survival are close to none!

10 - Item cards can be attached to Character cards while placing them on the Stage or after the Character is already placed. Ex: The Player can place "Mario" on the Stage, and then attach a "Hammer" item card to him, or attach the "Hammer" item card while placing "Mario" on Stage. Some Character cards require the Player to have an Item attached to the former while placing the card, like "Link" requires a "Sword" Item card. Other Characters might be the opposite, in which the Player can't attach item cards before the turn has passed. Ex: "Samus Aran" has to be on the Stage for, at least, one turn before the Player can attach any Item card.

11 - Entering a "Battle" ends the turn. If both Players have a Main ready to Battle, they will enter "Battle" mode. First, the Players need to select their Main Character's move or item. Then, both Players flip a coin. If heads, the attack will be evaded, however, if tails, then the Player's Main will take the hit. Ex: Player A uses Mario, and Player B uses Link. Player A gets a heads, and Player B gets a tails, then Mario's "Jump" attack deals two hearts of Damage to Link, leaving him with only one heart (considering Link hasn't taken damage before).

12 - If the opponent Player doesn't have a Main card to Battle, then they will lose a "Life". Starting with five lives, if the counter reaches zero lives. Don't worry, the Extra-Life counter can be incremented using Cards that give set number of lives. Ex: The "1UP Mushroom" card adds one life to the Player's Extra-Life counter. If a Main Character card's hearts reach zero or less, the card is despawned, and the Player won't lose a life for it.

13 - The turn ends with either a Battle, taking a Life from the opponent or passing the turn.

14 - At the start of each turn, the Player draws a card from the Deck.

Reactions: Rei
Very interesting! Though I only like card games just to collect them. =P But it's an awesome idea.

I'd prefer to collect them too! But I know people like competitive card games too, so...

EDIT: I can't focus very well, I might have made tons of mistakes or forgotten something, somewhere...

I'd prefer to collect them too! But I know people like competitive card games too, so...

EDIT: I can't focus very well, I might have made tons of mistakes or forgotten something, somewhere...

Yeah I understand the feeling. =P And I agree with the first part as well,whenever I show off my pokemon cards everyone wants to battle me,and I'm just decline. XD Though it's a tiny bit complicated for me to get,however I did just wake up...so if say something that doesn't make sense that's why. But it's a very intresting concept! I like it,though I don't know how you're going to actually make them. I guess it's not a big deal at the moment.

Yeah I understand the feeling. =P And I agree with the first part as well,whenever I show off my pokemon cards everyone wants to battle me,and I'm just decline. XD Though it's a tiny bit complicated for me to get,however I did just wake up...so if say something that doesn't make sense that's why. But it's a very intresting concept! I like it,though I don't know how you're going to actually make them. I guess it's not a big deal at the moment.

Oh, well, maybe I'll try making them virtual cards. As I said, I wanted them to be on a website. Probably having a section to play the game.

And even if it's not going to be true, at least the idea is here, right? :p

Reactions: Rei
Oh, well, maybe I'll try making them virtual cards. As I said, I wanted them to be on a website. Probably having a section to play the game.

And even if it's not going to be true, at least the idea is here, right? :p

Oh,I didn't see that you were going to use a website for it! And the idea is there!

Back