Virtual Boy Wario Land (A. K. A. Wario Land 1½), your opinions?

Tiger21820

Master of Fire & Ice & Wario Land 3: Master Quest!
What are your opinions on Wario Land 1½ on the ill-fated Virtual Boy? Do you think it is the best Virtual Boy game?

This is also my 345th post! Can we get a 678 here? lol

Last edited:
I think it's a great game, but that my be hard to say since I've never played the game. In fact, I have never even seen a Virtual Boy IRL, haha.
But regardless of how good it actually is, it's save to say that VB Wario Land is by far the best game for the system, which isn't that much of a feat, given that there have only been 22 games released for the Virtual Boy, and most of these have a reputation for being quite bad.

I LOVE The Concept it has; having Wario Traversing between the Foreground & the Background;

Something that while Isn't in any Wario Land game since VB Wario Land; IS In Kirby: Triple Deluxe & Kirby: Planet Robobot; and is in the upcoming Spiritual Successor of Wario Land; Antonblast; which was successfully funded on Kickstarter

I LOVE The Concept it has; having Wario Traversing between the Foreground & the Background;

Something that while Isn't in any Wario Land game since VB Wario Land; IS In Kirby: Triple Deluxe & Kirby: Planet Robobot; and is in the upcoming Spiritual Successor of Wario Land; Antonblast; which was successfully funded on Kickstarter

Yeah the concept is great. Reminds me of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, which are arguably close to what a VB Wario Land successor might play like now.

Yeah the concept is great. Reminds me of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, which are arguably close to what a VB Wario Land successor might play like now.

Yeah indeed, VB Wario Land is what first came to mind when I played DKC Returns, except of course that a VB Wario Land successor would probably be much less reliant on DKC-esque level gimmicks and stage-destroying actions. (Don't get me wrong, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great game, but chaotic AF; Wario Land games can be somewhat chaotic and hectic as well, but have a more sophisticated and puzzling gameplay which I honestly prefer more.)

In terms of controls and physics it's the best in the series. I feel fast and strong and in control as Wario more so than the other games. The sound effects for charging and hitting enemies goes a long way in this regard too. The short length makes it very replayable. I never played on an actual virtual boy but I think that's very appropriate for the system. Even if it's too short the difficulty curve around it's length is just right.

If I have to say anything bad about the game is that it's bosses remind of of Wario Land 1's in that only the final boss puts up a real fight. Sure the first boss's head weapon can get you if you never played the game before. (I guess so can that ghost dog in WL1). But it's just two fights where you watch them come on from the back ground and stomp the head after a heavily telegraphed appearance. Good use of the games gimmick yes but these are Mario bosses at heart

In terms of controls and physics it's the best in the series. I feel fast and strong and in control as Wario more so than the other games. The sound effects for charging and hitting enemies goes a long way in this regard too. The short length makes it very replayable. I never played on an actual virtual boy but I think that's very appropriate for the system. Even if it's too short the difficulty curve around it's length is just right.

If I have to say anything bad about the game is that it's bosses remind of of Wario Land 1's in that only the final boss puts up a real fight. Sure the first boss's head weapon can get you if you never played the game before. (I guess so can that ghost dog in WL1). But it's just two fights where you watch them come on from the back ground and stomp the head after a heavily telegraphed appearance. Good use of the games gimmick yes but these are Mario bosses at heart
Tbh i think that vb wario land bosses were a downgrade compared to wl1 because it lacks the multiple ways to attack aprooach of the previous game

Back