Wario and Waluigi Originally Meant To Be Brothers?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Saw this on Reddit, so I'm curious how accurate it is. Apparently one of the designers at Camelot responded on Instagram about what went into Waluigi's design and what the original concept for him was:

But sadly the relevant account is private now, so not sure if I can verify it:

So... anyone here know if this is real/accurate? Or have archives of what was on Yuzumpo's Instagram profile beforehand?

I was following his account at the time. He was answering questions and posting behind the scenes stuff that made me think, "Is Nintendo is going be okay with this?" I only remember personally reading him answer a question about giving Yoshi a sidekick.

It seems real, because Mario Wiki was tweeting/screenshotting this stuff out at the time when he was answering questions:
2HmY6Ix.png

Last edited:
The idea of Waluigi being some guy Wario sometimes calls up for certain things is still funnier to me imo. Him being Wario's brother doesn't really do anything for me.

I guess the appeal of them being brothers really hinges on what their backstory is supposed to be, which Nintendo has sadly never provided.

Like, if they are just random wannabes who copied Mario and Luigi's style, then it works best if they are unrelated.

On the other hand, if they are supposed to be some sort of bizarro dimension alternate counterparts, it would probably make more sense for them to be brothers.

Or if they are just some sort of magical creation of Kamek or whoever, then I guess them being brothers would depend on one's point of view.

But without knowing what they're even supposed to be in the first place, the question of them being brothers feels kind of empty.

Last edited:
I guess the appeal of them being brothers really hinges on what their backstory is supposed to be, which Nintendo has sadly never provided.

Like, if they are just random wannabes who copied Mario and Luigi's style, then it works best if they are unrelated.

On the other hand, if they are supposed to be some sort of bizarro dimension alternate counterparts, it would probably make more sense for them to be brothers.

Or if they are just some sort of magical creation of Kamek or whoever, then I guess them being brothers would depend on one's point of view.

But without knowing what they're even supposed to be in the first place, the question of them being brothers feels kind of empty.

This is a good point. Would it be super interesting to ask someone on staff what the original intentions were here. Treating them like business partners implies the former, but who knows, they could be bizarro dimension counterparts as well.

Back