Wario in Smash Ultimate and lack thereof

Nintengasm

Hocus Pocus!
The Smash Bros. Ultimate demo at E3 had 30 Assist Trophies out of the game's full 50. Ashley was nowhere to be seen, nor were Kat and Ana. So they're either in the remaining 20, playable characters, or gone entirely. I'm guessing they're all in the remaining 20 Assists we haven't seen.

As much as I hate to say it, I have a feeling Ashley might actually make it in. She's a very cutesy, marketable character who I'm sure is very popular with Japanese audiences, and Sakurai is clearly already interested by virtue of the fact that Ashley made it as full-on Assist Trophy, with original assets and all. She was a moderately popular character in the Ballot, so that also helps, since this Smash appears to be built around fan-service.

I don't think she'll be in the base roster, but I can begrudgingly see Ashley DLC being a possibility further down the road. Why else wouldn't her Assist Trophy show up in Wario's little trailer? I suppose it's possible that it hasn't been implemented into the game yet, but I'm still skeptical.

Really hope Kat and Ana are still there, it would suck majorly if they were gone.

As for Ashley, I'm honestly at a point where it wouldn't bother me if Ashley got in. Certain events of the past years have murdered any fondness that I used to have for her, but knowing that WarioWare proper is coming back makes me more open to the idea of her making it on the roster.

I'd take any other Wario character over her, but she at least would be a deserved second rep for the Wario series and could have a fun moveset, if they put some decent thought into it.

As much as I hate to say it, I have a feeling Ashley might actually make it in.

Why would it bother you so much that a video game character makes it into a video game? It's as if you would want people to feel bad for wanting her in it (which I know weren't your words in the slightest, but it's how I would take it.)

Why would it bother you so much that a video game character makes it into a video game? It's as if you would want people to feel bad for wanting her in it (which I know weren't your words in the slightest, but it's how I would take it.)
I don't personally care but here are some reasons I can think of.

-Adverse effect on the Wario series and WarioWare due to increased exposure.
-The Smash fanbase potentially developing a certain opinion on Ashley that might not be palatable.
-Sakurai messing her up( though I can't think of how he could actually do that since Ashley is a bit of a blank slate)
-Her taking up a slot that could go to a different character that you would prefer (depending if you have anyone you'd actually prefer to see)

Though to prove I'm not being trying to be biased here's every opinion flipped around.

-The Wario and WarioWare series is improved with more Ashley because you feel Ashley really has a lot more potential than the other characters.
-The Smash fanbase loves Ashley and produces a lot of stuff that makes Ashley seem even better.
-Sakurai fleshes out Ashley in a compelling way.
-There isn't anyone else you'd prefer to see over Ashley.

Well hey, Wario Land fans can appreciate him having the shoulder bash now. :woahalt:
You know as well as I do that it's never enough for some people. I've seen a lot of people that think Wario should act like he did in 90s American advertising: a villain. They outright ignore that he's always been "gross funny man" in Japanese media.

You know as well as I do that it's never enough for some people. I've seen a lot of people that think Wario should act like he did in 90s American advertising: a villain. They outright ignore that he's always been "gross funny man" in Japanese media.

Except, he's never been mainly gross up until Sakurai made him that way. No one said Wario should be a villain either, they just want him to be the cool anti-hero. You do not know your Wario if you accept him as "Wacky Fart Guy" lol.

Except, he's never been mainly gross up until Sakurai made him that way. No one said Wario should be a villain either, they just want him to be the cool anti-hero. You do not know your Wario if you accept him as "Wacky Fart Guy" lol.

Someone's never paid attention to instruction books, which not only show spiraled crap, but talk about Wario's opinion with smells, bathing, etc. Wario World's Japanese commercial had random piles of crap in the background and came with golden crap stickers in Japan. Plenty of people have said they missed his villain persona from ads, maybe not here, but in other places like 4chan's /v/, I see it very often. I know my Wario.

As far as I know, Wario's had gross-out humor since as far back as WL4. Take a look at his interview from the Japanese site, one of the questions is about how he poos and he answers it in... excruciating detail.

Toilet humor has been a part of Wario for a while, most prevalent in Japan but we didn't really see it clearly here until Brawl came out. That said, it's the one thing I'm not all that fond of when it comes to the franchise.

I don't have a problem with the gross-out stuff when it's used to emphasize how Wario gives zero shits about what other people think. Which is how he is in both the Wario Land and WarioWare games. Wario is greedy. He is a self-absorbed asshole. He is gross. He is a strong and heavy bruiser who loves to throw his muscles and his weight around.

The main problem with Wario in Smash Bros is really that it eliminates all the defining aspects of Wario except for the grossness, and then just replaces them with lolrandomwackiness instead. Wario in Smash (especially in Brawl, what with the weird janky animations he had for no apparent reason) is more of a characterization of WarioWare itself than of Wario.

Someone's never paid attention to instruction books, which not only show spiraled crap, but talk about Wario's opinion with smells, bathing, etc. Wario World's Japanese commercial had random piles of crap in the background and came with golden crap stickers in Japan. Plenty of people have said they missed his villain persona from ads, maybe not here, but in other places like 4chan's /v/, I see it very often. I know my Wario.
EXCEPT, I said that he's never been MAINLY gross. I've seen the instruction booklets (RIP by the way) and I'm completely fine with them, because they don't really affect him that much in the games. Sakurai just flanderized him so badly that he became "Wacky Fart Guy".

As fir the Wario as a villain thing, I'll admit I'm wrong there, I didn't know that anyone would want him to act as a villain in Smash (though him being an anti-hero is perferrable). I've just seen people who've said they want a cool Wario that represents the platformers. Not a fart joke.

The main problem with Wario in Smash Bros is really that it eliminates all the defining aspects of Wario except for the grossness, and then just replaces them with lolrandomwackiness instead. Wario in Smash (especially in Brawl, what with the weird janky animations he had for no apparent reason) is more of a characterization of WarioWare itself than of Wario.
Except final smash and bike are, you know... the only moves to actually represent ware series! Most of his moves are based on Wario World, as I know. And fart... Just came outta nowere. Have you seen Wario farting in Land? World? Ware? (Okay, he kinda did in Microgame from Smooth Moves, but who on right mind would make the whole move referencing to this stupid microgame, which makes zero sence, just as other microgames?)
Also, fart off this stupid down special move, if you are still making changes to Wario, Sakurai.

Except final smash and bike are, you know... the only moves to actually represent ware series! Most of his moves are based on Wario World, as I know. And fart... Just came outta nowere. Have you seen Wario farting in Land? World? Ware? (Okay, he kinda did in Microgame from Smooth Moves, but who on right mind would make the whole move referencing to this stupid microgame, which makes zero sence, just as other microgames?)
Also, fart off this stupid down special move, if you are still making changes to Wario, Sakurai.
Super Mario Strikers had Wario use his Farts for one of his specials in the game I believe. Honestly I don't mind all the Warioware, Wario World and Wario Land references as it all fits what makes Wario, "Wario" in the first place. He eats garlic for Christ sake and other gross undigestable stuff, of course he'd fart often. All the characterization even though lacking is pretty true to Wario's character as a whole and now we got his Shoulder Bash so I have no complaints.

Super Mario Strikers had Wario use his Farts for one of his specials in the game I believe. Honestly I don't mind all the Warioware, Wario World and Wario Land references as it all fits what makes Wario, "Wario" in the first place. He eats garlic for Christ sake and other gross undigestable stuff, of course he'd fart often. All the characterization even though lacking is pretty true to Wario's character as a whole and now we got his Shoulder Bash so I have no complaints.

Back