It's finally Village::here

Sorry if the song choice doesn't live up to whatever amount of hype you may have had for whatever CMV was going to be, but let's face it, there is literally no living up to the original. Period. So I figured 'may as well suck it up and pick something'. Fast-forward by a little less than a month, and here we are. You can read the description on the SC page for the full project notes, JAWF.

Crescent Moon Village but it has been ramsacked by a jazz hipster. :wah:

But not really. I like it, even if I can barely recognise the original.

Crescent Moon Village but it has been ramsacked by a jazz hipster. :wah:

But not really. I like it, even if I can barely recognise the original.

For the record, the guitar solo in the original CMV is easily right up there with the piano solo in Lower Brinstar when it comes to truly legendary video game music moments; one of the only other things I can think of that can even begin to compare with those two in terms of memorability is this segment from the Special Edition remake of Earthworm Jim's skydiving theme:

So, quick question about this:

Has any progress been made on aspects of the game other than the soundtrack? The soundtrack sounds great and all, but seeing the levels in action is rather nice too.

Still, that Crescent Moon Village take is pretty cool. It's got a very different vibe to the original, but it works well for what it's going for.

So, quick question about this:

Has any progress been made on aspects of the game other than the soundtrack? The soundtrack sounds great and all, but seeing the levels in action is rather nice too.

Still, that Crescent Moon Village take is pretty cool. It's got a very different vibe to the original, but it works well for what it's going for.
Unfortunately no. We are having an extremely hard time trying to come up with levels. For what I can at LEAST do is draw up a blueprint for a few ideas my own. There hasn't been a new groundbreaking version for the program in well over a few months, due to their schedules relating to their colleges and what not. However, I did notice that ssp has started making new levels again, so it is a start?????? As for textures are still to be unknown. Due to the limitations of being able to edit entities, blocks, & others, I haven't gotten as much out of Kleyman, except for a few.

Yeah and the OST is pretty much set, as I believe I don't need any music creators. Replacements are still possible however, since Wario Land 4 2 is still not officially released yet.

So yes, I am desperately looking for brand new ideas, in regards to levels, while keeping their theme. I even have consideration of scrapping the idea since there are so much restrictions I put on in regards to theme. If I were to scrap the idea, the OST too would need desperate reworks and what level can fit for which.

So yeah that is the update so far. To nobody's surprise, I haven't even touched the editor due to it's high risk of corruption and frequent crashing. I just simply can't trust it for big projects yet. But there hasn't been any updates in a long time, so Wario Land 4 2 also hasn't had any updates in regards to new ideas.

Yeah and the OST is pretty much set, as I believe I don't need any music creators. Replacements are still possible however, since Wario Land 4 2 is still not officially released yet.
Yeah, as far as the soundtrack is concerned the only major track I have yet to complete is the Boss Battle theme, which I plan to get back to work on soon.
If I were to scrap the idea, the OST too would need desperate reworks and what level can fit for which.
Not necessarily. For example, stages like Wildfire Fields, even if the ability to add Fire Wario-type challenges were rendered impossible, the Pointer Sisters' Fire still works relatively fabulously as a Wildflower Fields replacement track. Arabian Corridor would probably only need to be slowed down to fit the original vibe. Golden Diva would be a bit more involved, I think, but still re-workable, easy. Hotel Horror still works, 40 Below Fridge still works, Fury Rock definitely still works for obvious reasons, uhhh Hurry Up still works (as a matter of fact, I'm working on updating the in-game version right now).
Monsoon Jungle, that may need work, but only if the stage itself can't be somehow made to be a bit more "vertical" with its level design (because for some reason Wario jumping, going directly against the current of rain really matches Dust in the Wind's aesthetic for some reason), know what'm sayin'. ...As far as I know, nothing actually desperate would need doing.
The soundtrack sounds great Thank youuu

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought when I first got the idea. Its "lime green" vibe is very different to CMV's "dark, slightly grey-ish indigo" feeling, but in a way it still could work marvelously, if the level design so much as made the stage stop feeling so cramped.

Monsoon Jungle, that may need work, but only if the stage itself can't be somehow made to be a bit more "vertical" with its level design
Yknow, that did just give me a thought. It would be pretty interesting for a vertical level, similar to Super Mario Bros. Since WL4 doesn't have one, to that extent, it would be pretty interesting to have. We could have balloon wario fly vertically. And if he gets damaged, he could fall all the way down.

Unfortunately no. We are having an extremely hard time trying to come up with levels. For what I can at LEAST do is draw up a blueprint for a few ideas my own. There hasn't been a new groundbreaking version for the program in well over a few months, due to their schedules relating to their colleges and what not. However, I did notice that ssp has started making new levels again, so it is a start?????? As for textures are still to be unknown. Due to the limitations of being able to edit entities, blocks, & others, I haven't gotten as much out of Kleyman, except for a few.

So yes, I am desperately looking for brand new ideas, in regards to levels, while keeping their theme. I even have consideration of scrapping the idea since there are so much restrictions I put on in regards to theme. If I were to scrap the idea, the OST too would need desperate reworks and what level can fit for which.

So yeah that is the update so far. To nobody's surprise, I haven't even touched the editor due to it's high risk of corruption and frequent crashing. I just simply can't trust it for big projects yet. But there hasn't been any updates in a long time, so Wario Land 4 2 also hasn't had any updates in regards to new ideas.

Well, my advice for making levels (as someone who takes a long time to actually make any for my own projects) is to do the following:

1. Note down any ideas you get for levels during your day, and come back to them later. My phone's notes section is filled with ideas that'll probably get used in my Mario ROM hack, many of them added while commuting, at events or doing other things.

2. Just decide you're going to make a level and stick to it. Yeah, you may not have any ideas jumping out at you right now, but you'll get those once you start working on the level. Hell, it's likely your levels will go in completely different directions than you initially thought, and that's a good thing.

Yknow, that did just give me a thought. It would be pretty interesting for a vertical level, similar to Super Mario Bros. Since WL4 doesn't have one, to that extent, it would be pretty interesting to have. We could have balloon wario fly vertically. And if he gets damaged, he could fall all the way down.

Yeah, this could be interesting.

Yknow, that did just give me a thought. It would be pretty interesting for a vertical level, similar to Super Mario Bros. Since WL4 doesn't have one, to that extent, it would be pretty interesting to have. We could have balloon wario fly vertically. And if he gets damaged, he could fall all the way down
Now, mind, I don't mean exclusively vertical, I mostly mean more like-- kind of like how Pizza Tower works, where your main goal is ascending, but there's plenty of left and right. The Puffy Wario segments you're talking about, I imagine a couple of them for getting access to puzzle rooms, and one more which would be mandatory for collecting one of the corner pieces. This one could probably work like the Tower from VVVVVV with how it's structured: no horizontal scrolling, pretty much, almost entirely vertical, and (if possible) you could have Wario reach the top, quick fade, then when he comes back up from the bottom again it's the cloudy background from Wildflower Fields. It could be used for the second screen in the ascent AND also keep the vertical bit from taking up too much space, know what'm sayin'.

Right, now picture this (keep in mind that the scale here is NOT 1:1 by any means, these are just shitty little images to give you a general idea of the layout):

we have this first screen, down with the rest of, say, the "second floor" for this stage. There's an illusory wall hiding a diamond (which no one actually cares about but is needed for authentic Wario feel), an archer, one of those "hit block to activate floor" walls blocking an intriguing vertical space, and a little wall next to the ladder (at the exact height that a dash jump can reach, as a courtesy to those speedrunner folk).
The archer is too high to aggro via jumping, but the platform is designed to be small, like 1/2 tiles wide. This is because somewhere in the room to the right of this one is one of the chef guys. The Fat Wario shockwave will knock the archer down from the otherwise unreachable platform, to be grabbed and re-positioned down below after visiting the nearby pools of water. These pools serve to de-Fat you faster, but also can kill your archer if you're a dipshit like me and try to toss the archer down too close to the water, where you risk either throwing it in directly or bumping it in with your fat ass because the ceiling's just barely too low to successfully maneuver around. The original Wario Land 4 is an asshole to you if you decide to be careless for puzzles like these, so why not emulate that. Anyway. The red block switch would be somewhere along the upper left-hand path.
Once you got hit by the archer, you'd then be free to ascend.

The next screen is, again, just a vertical chute, although it's a little wider than the entrance sets us up for.

Nice and rainy, uses jungle backgrounds still.
Then once you get past that it's like this, y'know.

Since we have a guy who knows how to replace textures on the team, all we'd have to do for the "clouds" to turn them into trees is a palette swap on the opaque, more solid-looking clouds (a la SMB1) in the immediate background.

I have always wanted to play a Wario Land 4 hack, I am a big fan of Super Mario World Hacking so when this takes off ill be all about it! Especially considering Wario Land 4 is my favorite GBA game...well actually neck and neck with Warioware Twisted actually! Speaking of WWT...would it be possible to hack the Warioware games and maybe add custom minigames and such????

I have always wanted to play a Wario Land 4 hack, I am a big fan of Super Mario World Hacking so when this takes off ill be all about it! Especially considering Wario Land 4 is my favorite GBA game...well actually neck and neck with Warioware Twisted actually! Speaking of WWT...would it be possible to hack the Warioware games and maybe add custom minigames and such????
No idea. While this project is focused strictly on Wario Land 4, I only have a team focusing on that and that only. To my knowledge, there is no modding program for warioware twisted, unfortunately.

And the maker, as I said, is created by @shinespeciall and a couple others. And you're welcome to join our discord server!

PS Im not a hacker myself to know how to make such things anyways XD

No idea. While this project is focused strictly on Wario Land 4, I only have a team focusing on that and that only. To my knowledge, there is no modding program for warioware twisted, unfortunately.

And the maker, as I said, is created by @shinespeciall and a couple others. And you're welcome to join our discord server!

PS Im not a hacker myself to know how to make such things anyways XD
I would love to join the discord! Where would I get the link??

Good idea, but I think it should be Wariofied first.

Albeit unintentionally, it already kind of is a Wario-fied version of the original BIS mini-game theme; BTW, I also just made this for Golden Passage(?)

(this one really is just too good not to use; might also cover Buttville 2 later)

[also, just for the record, will the Sound Room have actual, you know, songs in it now?]

By actual songs, do you mean an all new set of sound room exclusive tracks, or the same ones from the levels?

By actual songs, do you mean an all new set of sound room exclusive tracks, or the same ones from the levels?
A whole new set of Sound Room tracc's. The fake ASMR track & the "Lo-Fi Wario Guy" tracks I shared some time back are a couple that I made specially (planned to replace Avocado Song and The Short Futon, respectively) but beyond that we also have a MIDI recreation that I did (and stupidface did QA on) of Colonel Carloft's "Even More WL4 Stuff" for Crescent Moon Village/Yesterday's Words, a Waarangement of Eminem's Cleanin' Out My Closet for Mystic Lake/Tomorrow's Blood Pressure (because the main EP riff used sounds a lot like the end section of ML's outdoor theme). I've got a few more ideas beyond that, though, like
"And I Love Her" by the Beatles for Wildflower Fields/Things That Never Change;
"Star Maze" from Mario Land 2 for 40 Below Fridge/The Moon's Lamppost (because kek);
Driftwood & the Island Dog I'm thinking about making into the Wind Waker opening theme, and have it be like a bait and switch (if I can get it to work the way I plan-- otherwise it'll be a trimmed down version of my Voya Nui Bay waarangement from BIONICLE Heroes DS;
"New Junk City" from Earthworm Jim for Toxic Landfill/Soft Shell ("but wait!" I hear you say. "Soft Shell is the Pinball Zone CD!" To which I say "yes, but
The Judge's Feet I'm wanting to turn into that Royksopp song from the Geico Caveman commercial, and also since when do WL4's CD's match the level they come from");
I plan to make Beyond the Headrush into one of Ocarina's temple themes, possibly the Shadow or Water Temple, maybe Fire (feel free to weigh in);
Mr. Ether & Planaria I'm working on making into the Wally battle theme from MOTHER/EarthBound Beginnings ((God I hate the English name));

uhhhh and that's all I've thought of at the moment. Oh yeah, and Forest Whitaker by Brother Ali for Palm Tree Paradise/About that Shepherd, although it's intended more as a spiritual Hall of Hieroglyphs CD, for reasons that will become apparent once heard. This was sent to me by an acquaintance of mine after we found out the other liked Em's music, and as I listened to it, I realized that this is literally the exact kind of song you'd find on one of those Spotify mix tapes 20-something girls make for specific characters, fucking number one, only the character in question is Wario. So, not only does it sound like pretty Hall of Hieroglyphs, but the words also work as if Wario wrote them.

Edit: I just got an idea-- it may be possible to replace the Medamayaki karaoke track without also replacing Palm Tree Paradise, as I think there is a 2nd MIDI in the game's files for it. If that's the case, I'm going to make that the Brother Ali song instead.

Last edited:
Back