Wario Land inspired game Slamhammer!

Koopaul

Yes. I'm that Koopaul.
Before I heard about Pizza Tower I always thought about my own Wario Land inspired game. I have a concept for a game called Slamhammer! You play as a brash hedonistic dwarf named Orek Slamhammer who just inherited a mine from his grandfather. But when Orek arrives he finds out the miners have accidentally dug up portals to the Demon Realm. Now the mine is overrun with monsters! Venture deep into the mines, dive into the 7 bizarre lands of the Demon Realm, rescue miners, collect treasures, bribe bosses, and become rich beyond your wildest dreams!

The game is mostly inspired by Wario Land 3 and Banjo-Kazooie (believe it or not). Orek smashes and dashes through stones and enemies with his hammer. He can pick up and throw enemies and objects too. Finally, he can transform by eating junk food some monsters might have on them. Pretty much like Wario. The central area is the Mine, a giant labyrinthine environment which grants you access to the 7 different lands of the Demon Realm. In order to get deeper into the mine you'll need lots of gold, upgrades, and fellow dwarfs to dig new areas open. Pretty much like B-K with Grunty's Lair or Wario Land 3 but instead of a map to select stages you have a large spiraling hub world.

This thread will be used to post more concepts and artwork. Stay tuned!

This looks awesome! That cover art alone makes me really want to play this game, and I have no doubt the concept of this game makes for a very interesting gameplay full of fun.

You did a really good job at this! :WarioThumbsUp:

Looks awesome to me too. Seriously, love the artwork you made for it, gives off the exact tone I'd expect from a title like this. Main character's design seems very fitting as well.

As for the idea itself, well it reminds me a bit of VB Wario Land with the whole underground cave system theme, though the hell aspect is a novel touch here. Don't see too many platformers set in hell any more, and having a Wario esque badass beating up its forces is certainly a great idea.

I love the idea of what you've got going here, but I'm very skeptical (lots of vaporware in all of my previous communities).
You should learn an engine and start work on a project first and get confident before you jump on this, because your art and concepts are very promising (although this is gonna be a huge undertaking).

I'd reccomend running with Clickteam Fusion 2.5 or Game Maker, they're simple to use and effective.
I really want to see someone pull off a more Wario Land 3 style Wario-type game instead of Wario Land 4's style.

I'd reccomend running with Clickteam Fusion 2.5 or Game Maker, they're simple to use and effective.
I second this. though I'd like to suggest Godot as well. It's the "hardest" out of the three but it's still pretty easy to use. Plenty of tutorials. You will need to type actual code though, so keep that in mind when choosing an engine. The main scripting anuage is pretty easy to use once you've watched some tutorials.

I second this. though I'd like to suggest Godot as well. It's the "hardest" out of the three but it's still pretty easy to use. Plenty of tutorials. You will need to type actual code though, so keep that in mind when choosing an engine. The main scripting anuage is pretty easy to use once you've watched some tutorials.

Basically:
EZ - Clickteam Fusion 2.5, requires no "real scripting" only If Statements. Extremely simple to get into, all of the things you learn here basically apply nowhere else though.

Alrighty - Game Maker, requires scripting but the interface is pretty simple and it isn't hard to get to grips with.

AAAAAAAAA - Godot, requires actual programming instead of scripting, interface is pretty complex but after a few months you'll understand it.

Basically:
EZ - Clickteam Fusion 2.5, requires no "real scripting" only If Statements. Extremely simple to get into, all of the things you learn here basically apply nowhere else though.

Alrighty - Game Maker, requires scripting but the interface is pretty simple and it isn't hard to get to grips with.

AAAAAAAAA - Godot, requires actual programming instead of scripting, interface is pretty complex but after a few months you'll understand it.
Pretty much lol. Godot is a big plus because it's both 2D and 3D.

This is just a concept. Or a pitch. I'm just begining to talk to some people. Who knows what will happen, if it will happen at all. But I absolutely know I could NOT make such a game all by myself. I have worked with Game Maker and Unity, and I've done mostly simple things on them. I have partnered with someone for a while working on some game projects that never got anywhere do to creative differences and bad planning.

Either way if this was to ever be a thing, it would have to be a funded collaborative effort.

This is just a concept. Or a pitch. I'm just begining to talk to some people. Who knows what will happen, if it will happen at all. But I absolutely know I could NOT make such a game all by myself. I have worked with Game Maker and Unity, and I've done mostly simple things on them. I have partnered with someone for a while working on some game projects that never got anywhere do to creative differences and bad planning.

Either way if this was to ever be a thing, it would have to be a funded collaborative effort.

Should you think this project is going to fail, then you can always consider trying to sell your idea to an actual game company.
Slamhammer looks just too good to not be completed.

I'm back! I've been very busy so I haven't had time to add anything to the topic. Here's some concept art of Orek Slamhammer and some upgrades to his gear.

Leather Helmet: The helmet you start with. Can break wooden crates and crumbly rocks with your head.
Fur Gloves: The gloves you start with. Can lift and throw small enemies and objects.
Fur Boot: The boots you start with. Nothing special.
Wood Hammer: The hammer you start with. Can break wooden crates, crumbly rocks, and kill weak enemies.

Iron Helmet: Can break solid rocks with your head.
Hercule's Gloves: Can lift and throw heavy enemies and objects.
Iron Hammer: Can break solid rocks.

Steel Helmet: Can break Hardnium stones with your head.
Herm's Boots: Allows you to double jump.
Steel Hammer: Can break Hardnium and kill spiked enemies.

There are other upgrades that increase your health, a charm that makes you lose less money when hit by an enemy, and scuba gear which allows you to swim through fast currents.

Hey I'm still here. Working on a bunch of other things but I still think about Slamhammer. Anyway, Orek Slamhammer travels from the mine through portals to the Demon World. There are 7 realms and the first one is the Land of Gluttony an entire world made of junk food and sweets. Demon Lord Sweetooth rules this place. Obsessed with food, he takes the form of a shark attached to an oven. He'll shoot pink icing and confectionery monsters. Throw peppermint bombs into the over after it shoots flames. Destroy the oven and Sweetooth will take on his Ultra Demon form! Keep tossing those peppermint bomb and aim for his mouth!
sweetooth.png

Bon Appétit!

Hey I'm still here. Working on a bunch of other things but I still think about Slamhammer. Anyway, Orek Slamhammer travels from the mine through portals to the Demon World. There are 7 realms and the first one is the Land of Gluttony an entire world made of junk food and sweets. Demon Lord Sweetooth rules this place. Obsessed with food, he takes the form of a shark attached to an oven. He'll shoot pink icing and confectionery monsters. Throw peppermint bombs into the over after it shoots flames. Destroy the oven and Sweetooth will take on his Ultra Demon form! Keep tossing those peppermint bomb and aim for his mouth!View attachment 11007

Bon Appétit!

He looks like Bowser, King K. Rool and Cuckoo Condor combined. I love this boss already.

Hey I'm still here. Working on a bunch of other things but I still think about Slamhammer. Anyway, Orek Slamhammer travels from the mine through portals to the Demon World. There are 7 realms and the first one is the Land of Gluttony an entire world made of junk food and sweets. Demon Lord Sweetooth rules this place. Obsessed with food, he takes the form of a shark attached to an oven. He'll shoot pink icing and confectionery monsters. Throw peppermint bombs into the over after it shoots flames. Destroy the oven and Sweetooth will take on his Ultra Demon form! Keep tossing those peppermint bomb and aim for his mouth!View attachment 11007

Bon Appétit!
Dude you should make this Into an actual game... I know it’s a concept and all. But seriously this should be a a legitimate game!:)

I'm actually learning how to use Game Maker. Let's see where this goes. In the meantime here's more art for the first world.

gluttony.png

In the Land of Gluttony you'll find lots of delectable monsters. Here are a few.

Cupcreep: Scurries from side to side. Apparently can't see where it's going but knows enough not to walk off an edge.

Frurger: Hops after anyone nearby. Kind of lazy so it pauses between hops.

Fizzfish: Swims slowly forward until it hits something. It's got bubbles for brains.

Back