Wario's alternate color palette in Wario Land 4

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
I've been noticing for a while now that Wario in WL4 has two different palettes. There's the one we all know and one where his skin color is more distinguishable from his shirt and hat colors.
I actually think it looks better on some ways. It's definitely easier to tell the colors apart.
Here's a comparison:
alt palette.png

Some sprites, like the one at the bottom here and the Wario Hop sprites use the second palette, but most just have the regular one.
This leads me to believe that this inconsistency might be due to a mistake.
Like, maybe the second palette was in the beta, but they thought it maybe looked to dark, so they changed it, but they didn't remember to change all the instances where the old one was used?

It's not quite the same as the beta palette, seen here:
1531862180147.png
1531862285493.png

This one's more desaturated.

So what do you think? Mistake? Inconsistency? Or just a strange artistic choice?

And which do you prefer?

I prefer the dimmer one, as you said, you can tell the colors apart easier. However, in game, I think Wario would be slightly harder to spot, as the brighter skin makes him pop out more.
I'd like to see a mod for WL4 using this new color palette just to check how well it can actually work.

I prefer the dimmer one, as you said, you can tell the colors apart easier. However, in game, I think Wario would be slightly harder to spot, as the brighter skin makes him pop out more.
I'd like to see a mod for WL4 using this new color palette just to check how well it can actually work.

This. I'd also like (if it hasn't been done already) a mod for SML3 which keeps Wario's regular hat instead of his pith helmet. Fanmade sprites do exist so it shouldn't be that hard of an undertaking.

Back