[Poll] What matters most in games?

Which gameplay element is your favorite?

• Gameplay

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Sound & Music

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Story or Plot

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rei

Pro Coolman
What kind favorite gameplay element matters most to you in games? Mine goes like this:
1.Gameplay
2.Sound/Music
3.Story
4.Graphics

(Yes, I know some gameplay elements need other gameplay elements for eachother to work better.)

Gameplay and content.

What's content? Well, not story, but characters, world, concept, etc.

Something like Mario Galaxy or Wario Land 4 has interesting content. Something like New Super Mario Bros 2 doesn't.

Good gameplay and a boring or offputting concept gives you a tech demo or gimmick game. Good content and mediocre gameplay often gives you a cult classic. Both gives you a game people will remember for more than a few month or so (like say, Ocarina of Time).

Gameplay and content.

What's content? Well, not story, but characters, world, concept, etc.

Something like Mario Galaxy or Wario Land 4 has interesting content. Something like New Super Mario Bros 2 doesn't.

Good gameplay and a boring or offputting concept gives you a tech demo or gimmick game. Good content and mediocre gameplay often gives you a cult classic. Both gives you a game people will remember for more than a few month or so (like say, Ocarina of Time).

I did feel like I was missing something about elements of a game! =P And I'll add it to the poll.
And yeah content is also a big part of games,the game would just be nothing without content.

It depends, because games often set out to do different things. As a storyteller, I place stories first and foremost (In stuff *I* make), but I can enjoy games that don't have one. Good gameplay gets you way farther than Story, because people are having more fun. A bad story with no gameplay is just bad, but a bad story with good gameplay is still fun, and you can laugh at the story most of the time.

I'd say Gameplay is most important, but the rest aren't that far down. Music is crucial as all hell in atmospheric games, Story is important in games that focus on giving a narrative experience, etc.

I agree with everyone who said gameplay. In fact I understand this one entirely. I recently felt excited about trying Morrowind, and really getting into it. I thought it would be a game I could get totally lost in. But ick, the gameplay felt so clunky and unnatural and I just didnt feel good with it. I couldnt make myself have fun with that game. It wasnt the graphics or any of that. The game just felt bad. I felt dissapointed by it.

But despite knowing that gameplay really is most important, I picked story and music & sound. For the most part, I do enjoy games with a fun story, likeable and memorable characters, a cool and attracitve overworld and awesome music. Games that did well with things like these always end up my favorite games. Where gameplay is important for a game to be a good game, it is these things that grab at me the most with a game. I guess they are what makes a good game great.

Back