What should a new Wario platformer look like ?

What should a new Wario platformer look like ?

• Wario Land 4 and Shake It!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wario Land but with a new gimmivk

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Wario World

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Something else (comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NacklesK

Putting the DZ back in Diamond Zity
Diamond City Insider
Personally, I'd like to have a Wario Land game but with a new and fresh gimmick. Either that, or maybe a 3D Wario where you've got multple level and mulitple missions in each level (kinda like Mario 64).

I want to see what a new type of Wario Land would be. WL1 and Virtual Boy WL played like Mario games, WL2 & WL3 were more puzzle focused and Wario couldn't die, WL4 and Shake It had the heart system and runback timer.

Honestly, I agree. Let's see what the next series shake up could be for the series. Every two games seem to change up the formula, so we're kinda due for that anyway.

Besides, we already have a couple new games with the runback timer, in the form of Pizza Tower and AntonBlast
That's a really good point. Those indie games are using the setup too, and it's become a genre in its own right.

Having another Wario game reuse it might feel a tad redundant.

I just need something that's genuinely fun and has the same charm that Wario Land 4 had. I also don't want it to be easy, I want a challenge so I'm actually getting my money's worth.

And I don't know about everyone else, but I REALLY don't want another "Shake It." I always found it to be the weakest Wario Land game. It just wasn't all that fun and even though the atmosphere was beautiful, it didn't really suit Wario.

I feel like the atmosphere that suits Wario best is when it's crass, rude and ugly and when you have bosses that are straight up HORRIFYING. Like Cractus, CatBat and Spoiled Rotten, and not bosses that look inspired by anime villains.

Not to say the Shake It bosses looked bad by any means though.

I personally think bosses in a Wario platformer should hit that middle ground seen in Wario World
Part wacky like in MoD ((cough) Barfatronic Lavachomper (cough)), part horrifying like in WL4
And Wario World, of course, hits that middle ground perfectly, with bosses like the dinosaur and the jockey guy

I agree with @Hotel Horror on the fact that Shake It! was kinda boring. When I wanted to get into the Wario Land series, I first played Wario Land 1 then played Shake It!. The reason I picked it over Wario Land 4 is that WL4 looked more fun than Shake It! so to not get dissapointed when I play the Wii game, I chose it first. After playing them back to back, Wario Land 4 is far superior. As for Wario World, I'm gonna be honest, I don't like that games' art style. I never was a fan of those kinda "bouncy game aesthetic" on GCN and N64 to begin with and Wario World looks honestly crappy in my opinion (though that just might be a symptom of being a GameCube game).

That makes me wonder. If there was to be a Wario game for N64, what would it look like ?

Also, I gotta say that it's been quite a while since the last actual Wario discussion on this Wario Forum.

I have an idea for a new Wario Land game that I kept thinking about since I went on vacation. Here it is :

Controls :
Wario will control similarly to Wario Land 4 but a bit faster paced. First of, the R dash attack from WL4 will be mapped to the Y button (on Switch) and will be your only dash attack. The dash will be slowed down a bit to make the game more playable and it will deal damage instantly. Jumping out of a dash attack with make you do a long roll jump similarly to Wario World. Also, like in Wario Land 4, you will be able to roll down slopes by pressing but you'll also be able to during it with a long roll jump. Pressing on a flat surface while dashing will result in sliding like in Shake It!

Map design:
The levels will be structered in a maze-like way, it will have no runback timer and more exits. Each exit will lead to other levels with the first levels being in the middle and the root of all those paths. You will be able to access more and more exists by using items like such as the surfboard (that let's you surf over water and trick over waves) or the WAR-10 Bomb (which is bomb of similar design of the one in WarioWare, you'll have to throw it at a breakable surface, than you'll have like 5 seconds to escape the bomb's explosion radius. An example of level design with it could be Wario jumping up plateforms to escape the explosion). Those ar only some examples of items.

I'd turn this into a fan game but I already have one on the grill (that's a saying, right?) and kinda want to release the demo before Mars (plus, I wanna include an extra in the demo that's actually gonna be really cool). Maybe, I'll work on it after the full game is done. Also, I have other ideas for the game, this only glimpse of what I thought of.

Also, I love using spoilers to structer my post, it looks so clean !

Last edited:
I thought Shake It's bosses were probably the highlight of that game, at least where personality is concerned.

But the next game definitely needs wackier and more interesting levels and aesthetics. Wario Land 4 made every level feel unique, while Shake It's levels felt kinda bland and generic. Like any other 2D platformer setting.

I thought Shake It's bosses were probably the highlight of that game, at least where personality is concerned.

But the next game definitely needs wackier and more interesting levels and aesthetics. Wario Land 4 made every level feel unique, while Shake It's levels felt kinda bland and generic. Like any other 2D platformer setting.
We'd also need interesting level design, Shake It's levels were kinda samey (especially the subwarine levels, those were really boring and uninteresting).

They should also work also work on the sound design. WL4 sound's design was really wacky and Shake It's OST sounded like very samey. It's not bad but nothing really memorable.

Last edited:
We'd also need interesting level design, Shake It's levels were kinda samey (especially the subwarine levels, those were really boring and uninteresting).

They should also work also work on the sound design. WL4 sound's design was really wacky and Shake It's OST sounded like very samey. It's not bad but nothing really memorable.
I think the boring level design and aesthetics kinda go hand in hand to be honest. It's easier to create an exciting level if you've got stuff like Pinball Zone or Fiery Cavern than uh... Shake It's more standardised levels.

Every level in 4 had at least one major interesting gimmick and difference to stand out, whereas a lot of Shake It's kinda... just didn't.

I think the boring level design and aesthetics kinda go hand in hand to be honest. It's easier to create an exciting level if you've got stuff like Pinball Zone or Fiery Cavern than uh... Shake It's more standardised levels.

Every level in 4 had at least one major interesting gimmick and difference to stand out, whereas a lot of Shake It's kinda... just didn't.
Yeah and the great thnig about Wario Land 4 is that every single level has a different gimmick and usually in games, this results in bad levels but in WL4 every gimmick is fun and interesting. The best part for me was the Topaz Passage. Lots of fun interesting gimmicks in it.

Back