What's next for the WarioWare series?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
After Get It Together and Move It? Where does the series go from here on the Switch 2?

Because to be honest, it feels like it's kinda in a rut right now. It's fine, but with a few exceptions the games are pretty much mostly the same as each other, and falling into many of the same gameplay beats as a result.

And the sales seem to reflect this. Move It did pretty mediocre, and to be honest, it feels like the days of the series being mega hits for each console have come to an end.

So what's next for this franchise?

TBH WarioWare has more games than Wario Land. I think Nintendo would keep it around as a tech demo idea. However, it's a shame. WarioWare was fun for referencing other Nintendo games, and short-lived ideas. Maybe the Wario Land paradox for Nintendo HQ goes like this: If there are more Wario likes, then that means no need for another Wario Land. I could see Shake-It! getting a remaster or a Wario Land compilation bundle like the Nintendo Championship Edition. Nintendo does have a thing for game bundles, but I think the limited-run stuff would be avoided.

Maybe I'm wishfully thinking that Wario Land will show up at the end of the NSO lifespan or it will go on to the NS2O stuff. However, having been on most handhelds, that would be the average timeline scenario. I'm pretty sure the 3DS beat the Switch in terms of playing Wario. As much as I would like to play Get It Together! it doesn't appear as anything more than a competitive WarioWare game with fun ideas that didn't last long.

I gotta bring up this fan idea again about making of the next WarioWare an RPG. The idea is just too cool.
Also, the next WarioWare really NEEDs a new artstyle shake-up. Doesn't help the last 3 have all looked the same cutscene-wise.

Also, the next WarioWare really NEEDs a new artstyle shake-up. Doesn't help the last 3 have all looked the same cutscene-wise.
I completely agree, I think it would be the best way to give the series a great new coat of paint. I wonder if they will do it though because they seem to be really committed to this style now, as it even extends to the webpage for WarioWare, Inc.

I think Nintendo loves making these games too much for them to stop, I mean it hasn't stopped it yet and they only have so many series where they can get experimental like in these games. And if the developer interview for Move It! is any indication, it really does not seem like they have plans of stopping anytime soon. We really did get 12 years in between Smooth Moves and the next mainline game in the series, Gold, but the fact that Nintendo gave us three of the games in the span of 5 years is proof that they wanna keep going with them and make up for all the years.

I just wonder what will the main gimmick of the next game will be! Guess it depends on what the Switch 2 has in store for us!

Last edited:
I mostly see the Gold/Get It Together!/Move It! trilogy's primary purpose as reviving the franchise, and in this purpose it largely succeeds in my opinion even if it doesn't have the sales to show for it. But, yeah, I wouldn't be lying if I said I wanted something more... out there than more microgames. Perhaps a Wario Land (or WarioWare Land) would do the trick, or perhaps an actual bona-fide Paper WarioWare or similar RPG.

Last edited:
I gotta bring up this fan idea again about making of the next WarioWare an RPG. The idea is just too cool.

I had the same idea too (WarioWare RPG), though I think this would work better as a side mode in an actual WarioWare game than a standalone game. I feel like having to play a microgame at every action would make the game boring to play. The point of microgames is do them consecutively. Otherwise, they become become and too manageable to beat, you feel me ?

I had the same idea too (WarioWare RPG), though I think this would work better as a side mode in an actual WarioWare game than a standalone game. I feel like having to play a microgame at every action would make the game boring to play. The point of microgames is do them consecutively. Otherwise, they become become and too manageable to beat, you feel me ?
Yeah, those are good points. It would be too messy as a full game idea.

I feel like another approach would be to contextualise enemy attacks as microgames, and perhaps leave standard attacks as more Paper Mario TTYD-style action commands. For those looking for a more traditional experience, perhaps a battle memory system would serve those players well.

I feel like another approach would be to contextualise enemy attacks as microgames, and perhaps leave standard attacks as more Paper Mario TTYD-style action commands. For those looking for a more traditional experience, perhaps a battle memory system would serve those players well.
I don't know... I feel like it would either also be boring to play or too far away from WarioWare and more something like Undertale or whatever game has you freely dodge enemy patterns in an RPG.

Honestly, I think they should just make D.I.Y 2. I don't really know what new gimmick they could use on the future Nintendo console. Plus, they did a Mario Maker 1 which was great and a Mario Maker which is one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion so a WarioWare D.I.Y would be genius. They could use even more gimmick like touch controls (point if you're on TV), or even twist controls and button controls. They could make the game maker a bit more advanced and complex while still having it be kid friendly.

Honestly, I think they should just make D.I.Y 2. I don't really know what new gimmick they could use on the future Nintendo console. Plus, they did a Mario Maker 1 which was great and a Mario Maker which is one of the greatest games ever made in my opinion so a WarioWare D.I.Y would be genius. They could use even more gimmick like touch controls (point if you're on TV), or even twist controls and button controls. They could make the game maker a bit more advanced and complex while still having it be kid friendly.
There was a thread previously asking which WarioWare game should get a direct sequel and I wanted a WarioWare D.I.Y. sequel too. If we could share the microgames, music, and comics easily like in Mario Maker 2, it would have so much replayability, but it would need moderation. I know we could already share microgames in D.I.Y., but it could be faster and more accessible.

Also, shoutout to the Shantae NAB microgame in D.I.Y. for being the closest thing to a Wario Land x Shantae crossover.

There was a thread previously asking which WarioWare game should get a direct sequel and I wanted a WarioWare D.I.Y. sequel too. If we could share the microgames, music, and comics easily like in Mario Maker 2, it would have so much replayability, but it would need moderation. I know we could already share microgames in D.I.Y., but it could be faster and more accessible.

Also, shoutout to the Shantae NAB microgame in D.I.Y. for being the closest thing to a Wario Land x Shantae crossover.
Yeah, we will definitely need moderation ! Lots of it actually... I've been on Doujin Soft and some microgames and comics are rather questionable... Like, the first result for Wario in comics at one time to was like... Not kid friendly... At all.

God a WarioWare DIY sequel would be epic. It'd make both the forums and Studio21 Discord server like ten times as active, and basically give @Squishy Pixelz their dream game lol.

I also thought about a spin-off : WarioWare: Teamed!. A WarioWare game that is much more focused on multiplayer gameplay. Maybe the story could utlilize trios or duos (Crygor, Penny, Mike | Wario, Jimmy, Mona | Ashley and Red | The Volts etc.) There could be coop modes and competitive modes. I dunno how the game would work out but I'm sure they can cook up something really cool if given a little bit of thought.

Edit : Basically, what am I saying in this thread is that I don't know how they could make a brand new traditional WarioWare game.

Last edited:
I also thought about a spin-off : WarioWare: Teamed!. A WarioWare game that is much more focused on multiplayer gameplay. Maybe the story could utlilize trios or duos (Crygor, Penny, Mike | Wario, Jimmy, Mona | Ashley and Red | The Volts etc.) There could be coop modes and competitive modes. I dunno how the game would work out but I'm sure they can cook up something really cool if given a little bit of thought.

Edit : Basically, what am I saying in this thread is that I don't know how they could a brand new traditional WarioWare game.
I mean, do the Palworld thing and copy homework. Make a WarioWare 99, and make a competitive eSport WarioWare that's F2P with cosmetics for each microgame, or player if they reuse GiT. Nintendo Championship could be a series rather than just a nostalgia game with no VC on the Switch in physical form.

Or DIY2. I liked the DS game, and Dreams is a thing, as well as Game Maker Garage which might be why there isn't a DIY2 on the Switch.

I mean, do the Palworld thing and copy homework. Make a WarioWare 99, and make a competitive eSport WarioWare that's F2P with cosmetics for each microgame, or player if they reuse GiT. Nintendo Championship could be a series rather than just a nostalgia game with no VC on the Switch in physical form.

Or DIY2. I liked the DS game, and Dreams is a thing, as well as Game Maker Garage which might be why there isn't a DIY2 on the Switch.
Honestly, WarioWare 99 could seem like a decent idea, and I've already gushed about how cool a DIY sequel would be in this thread. It's just that what we're learning with this thread is that nobody knows to make a another traditional WarioWare game unfortunately.

WarioWare 99 seems like such an obvious idea, and a great one at that. Why haven't we seen it yet?

I've heard there was an indie RPG called Knuckle Sandwich that uses microgames elements. Personally, I haven't played it because I'm not a fan of RPGs of indie games but from what I've seen. It doesn't look bad. Just too... Undertale-esque. (Btw I'm not saying Undertale (or other indie games) is a bad game, I'm just saying I don't like how smart and pretentious it tries to be at times. But I digress)

Last edited:
I have some ideas, if Nintendo make DK Bongos returns they could make a new WarioWare that use DK Bongos.

I wrote an idea in my ideas blog, it is about a WarioWare android videogame where the player defeat microgames with any music instruments musical notes through the microphone, using the Simply Piano technology.

If Nintendo make official Nintendo keyboards returns they could make a new WarioWAr that use those official Nintendo keyboards.

I have some ideas, if Nintendo make DK Bongos returns they could make a new WarioWare that use DK Bongos.

I wrote an idea in my ideas blog, it is about a WarioWare android videogame where the player defeat microgames with any music instruments musical notes through the microphone, using the Simply Piano technology.

If Nintendo make official Nintendo keyboards returns they could make a new WarioWAr that use those official Nintendo keyboards.
That actually sounds like a pretty cool idea but it sounds really unlikely unfortunately.

Back