What's the creepiest Wario Land boss?

the first boss of Virtual Boy Wario Land scared the hell out of me when i was younger. the monochrome red color scheme was mainly what freaked me out when i had saw gameplay videos containing the fight, and it didn't help that it's damage animation had it's heart bouncing out of it's chest. emulating the game years later in a color scheme that didn't destroy my retinas made playing through the fight much less unsettling, thankfully.

I'm guessing by first boss you mean the Dinosaur Fish one? Yeah, I can see that one looking a tad ominous I guess:

Sports Rabbit

Do you mean this one
BallBunny1.png

or this one?
Shoot_WL3.png

Yeah, I too think they are a bit creepy for some reason.

Gosh, there is a bunch of creepy bosses in this franchise. Every boss in Warioland 4 is like a 10 on the creepy scale.

Since I don't think anyone has said Rudy the Clown from Warioland 3 in this thread yet though, I will nominate him! I find clowns super creepy and Rudy is a giant evil clown. It's the stuff of nightmares.

Rudy is certainly disturbing, though he may have been even more disturbing at an earlier point in Wario Land 3's development:

WL3-scaryface.png

Funnily enough, none of these guys scared me as a kid. In fact, they intrigued me, especially the ones from Wario World, like Clown-a-Round, Mean Emcee, and Dino Mighty. I loved how unconventional they looked compared to anything else I'd seen in a video game. One of the many reasons why I love these games! ¡Son geniales!

I remember seeing that emblem in other areas in the game. Has that been confirmed to be linked to Rudy? ¿Lo sabes?

You mean this?
Has anyone else pointed this out yet?
Might've been an intentional nod to the final boss that was never finished. Kinda how WL4 has the Golden Diva's face :gsmile: all over the place. On the boxes, on the floor next to the hole that wario jumps down in the intro...
But then the Final Boss's design was changed and they just left the faces.

View attachment 12450
You mean this?
Has anyone else pointed this out yet?
Might've been an intentional nod to the final boss that was never finished. Kinda how WL4 has the Golden Diva's face :gsmile: all over the place. On the boxes, on the floor next to the hole that wario jumps down in the intro...
But then the Final Boss's design was changed and they just left the faces.
Yeah, that's exactly it! Wow, never thought of it like that!

the fact that wario canonically fights fucking satan in the end of virtual boy wario land scared me just for the sheer shock value of it. Like. Wario is the only platformer i can think of that'd be willing to do that LOL

edit: also i know it's a sort of crackpot theory, but i've always theorized that that entire boss could be a sort of hallucinatory thing or purgatory that wario is sent in for his greed and suicidal behavior (ie how he willingfully lets himself be hurt for the sake of progressing and doesn't even seem afraid of death, even laughing it off). adds an extra layer of darkness to a game that's always already felt fucking eerie to me. i love it :]

Last edited:
Back