Will Wario ever be a villain again?

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
Seriously, when was the last time he strictly was one? SML2? Mario & Wario? Then there are the spin-off appearances at times in the GCN era and his Brawl SSE appearance (as short-lived as it was), but those barely count in the grand scheme of things.

He just...seemed to have stopped being an enemy to Mario a long time ago. And it really does look like we're never getting that back again at this rate. (NSMB2 could have been the perfect opportunity for it, but noooooooo...)

The question I present is, why should Wario be a villain? I assume that if we come into the Wario Forums, it's because we like him.

Do we want him to be presented in a negative light? I certainly don't. I like Wario Land series Wario because he's an "anti-hero" in it, and I like WarioWare series Wario because he's a funny and likable main character in games without "heroes" and "villains".

He has as much chance of being a villain again as Wart and Tatanga have of turning up again period.

But I'm not sure him being a villain is always a bad thing, so long as he's done competently (aka doesn't attacking by constantly farting or something stupid like that) and is acting in character. I mean, Bowser was done really well in Mario & Luigi Dream Team, despite coming from a game where he was an awesome anti hero everyone liked.

I don't think Bowser was done that much well in Dream Team. I mean, he did say some funny lines every now and then (his way of being angry is still likable), but he spent most of the game off-screen and only interacted with his Elite Trio a select few times. Still, I agree that he was cool and showed his powers very well.

Being a villain can still make a character very much likable (Lord Crump, for one), but I still wouldn't like to see a game where the plot is Mario beats up Wario. It makes it look like Mario is "clean" and Wario is completely bad, and may negatively affect new players' views on him.

I would like to see something similar to the old Mario VS Wario comic:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_vs._Wario
Several Wario bios mention that they might have been childhood friends at some point, so it's a lot closer to becoming "canon" than other non gaming Mario media.
I find the idea of Wario (undestandably) seeking revenge for beeing (albeit unintentionaly) bulyed by Mario in their childhood quite interesting.
If this ever becomes a game thought I would like to see them burry the hatched, kind of like in that Twisted microgame, it's not like their rivaly really means anything nowadays.
That's the kind of game I would like to see Wario as a Villain in, giving him a relateble motiv, while also giving Mario a sympathetic viewpoint with him trying to make up for his mistakes and have both characters come out on top.
Of cource something like this is never going to happen, given how Nintendo refuses to do anything with Mario as a character, but I think that such a game could really change a lot of peoples opinion on both characters for the better.

Ironically, while many characters in other works stopped being cool after giving up villainy, Wario became better after he became an anti-hero.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a villainous role every now and then. Of course, it needs something to justify it, otherwise it'll be reversing his characterization for no explained reason.

True, but the problem is Nintendo doesn't seem really interested in using Wario in the main Mario series. Heck I'm surprised that we even got Wario in the DS version of Super Mario 64.

Is Wario really a bad guy though? He's just repulsive and greedy....which I guess is bad, but he doesn't seem to want to kidnap Peach or take over the world.

I'd love to see him as a boss or something. It would have been some great fan service had there been a Wario Galaxy level in Super Mario Galaxy where Wario was a boss.

He's not much of a main boss, but I think he'd excel as a side boss. My imagination runs wild thinking of ways he could be included in a mainline 3D Mario.

Is Wario really a bad guy though? He's just repulsive and greedy....which I guess is bad, but he doesn't seem to want to kidnap Peach or take over the world.

I'd love to see him as a boss or something. It would have been some great fan service had there been a Wario Galaxy level in Super Mario Galaxy where Wario was a boss.

He's not much of a main boss, but I think he'd excel as a side boss. My imagination runs wild thinking of ways he could be included in a mainline 3D Mario.

That's true. The Shake King in Wario Land Shake It is arguably Wario's villain counterpart, and you can clearly see via that how not very villain like Wario actually is.

But yeah, he'd work quite well as a normal boss in a game. An RPG appearance maybe? Like, you fight him before he joins your party in some upcoming Mario & Luigi game?

I can see him being an antagonist in a petty miniscule way.

Let's say there's a new Mario game that's a spinoff no-big-deal type of thing. Maybe a puzzle game. In this game Wario barges into Peach's birthday party. He's making a mess and eating all the food. In this game you play as Mario cleaning tables while guiding Wario out of a room by pushing boxes or hitting switches. It'd be like a Mario and Wario type of game.

But yeah, he'd work quite well as a normal boss in a game. An RPG appearance maybe? Like, you fight him before he joins your party in some upcoming Mario & Luigi game?

I'm actually quite surprised that's never been the case. It's like the moment Wario Land was a thing, Nintendo kept him as far away from canon Mario as you can get.

Back