WL3 fanfiction - in progress of writting

So, some years ago, I had an idea of writing a fan fiction based on Wario Land 3, and some elements from the other games in the series.
Wario Land 3. The game itself doesn't have that much story. But, if you really think about it, the world inside the music box is quite interesting. And all the people who live there. What was like for them in their cursed forms? What will they do now that life is back to normal?

A few years ago, I did start writing a fanfic based on that. However, I made the obvious mistake of rushing into it without planning anything out, so, of course, I only got one shitty chapter out of it.

This time, though, I want to make this idea work.
And so, I have started to plan this out.

The series will focus on the lives of Music Box World citizens. The present timeline will be of the peaceful(?) lives after Wario had defeated Rudy and returned everyone to their normal forms.
While various flashback scenes will show the backstories of the characters and the world.

Actually, the way I have it in mind, the structure would resemble a live action TV Show like "Lost" or "Once Upon A Time". As each "episode" (or most of them) would have both present time scenes and flashback scenes.

So yeah. At the moment, I am thinking of general ideas for the "episodes", the overall story structure, and characters. In fact, I have enough general ideas to span 3 or 4 "seasons".
Actually putting them to work, though, that would be a challange.

But I'm going to try it.

But, unless I can write an entire "season", you guys wouldn't see any completed work.
I don't want this to become another one of those abandoned fanfics that gets abandoned in the middle.

Sounds like it could be an interesting story. Could be neat to see what happened to the Music Box World after Rudy's been defeated and everyone's returned to normal. Think they'll celebrate Wario's actions? How did things like the Peaceful Village and Town in Chaos function when the world had actual citizens living normal lives?

Definitely write it if you can.

Thank you, @CM30!
Yeah, I'll try my best.

So, right now, I'm thinking of if Doctor Mario 64 can be considered canon for this story. I mean, if features Stein, Rudy, and the enemies from Wario Land 3. But how would that work? Something to think about. Or just disregard it. Maybe.

However, there is the other game that Stein has appeared it. And I'm not talking about Wario Land 4. I should research that one.

A Wario Land 3 fanfic would be great. You seem to have some clever ideas for potential plot elements. I always like the concept of a fanfic based on the everday life of fictional characters and what they experience outside the official stories.

Now I think about it, I should put some more work and effort into my own fanfic ideas as well.

It's true that I have plenty ideas for plot elements.
The tricky thing would be to actually put them to work, and developing them.

I am wondering how much of an audience I can get for this though.
I don't expect the story to be as accessible to those who don't know the game.
This website, I kind of feel like it's not as active as it used to be, or at least in the Wario Land section.

And also, I don't think I can become an animator, or hire any animators. Having it in text form would just be the simplest way for me to do this. But that would mean, kind of losing out from YouTube audiences.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas of their own for this, feel free to share. I can't guarantee I could incorporate any of them into my story, but maybe something can fit in.

Found our "Mad Scienctien" in the Japanese exclusive game, For The Frog The Bell Tolls.
I think I should be able to incorporate this into my story.

Also, why did the creators of the fan translation change his name to Dr Knitt Wit? Did they not realise he's the same character as in Wario Land 4?
(I mean, we only recently discovered that he's the same as in Wario Land 3. And I always interpreted the Wario Land 4 Sprite as a furry animal. But still, he was named Dr Arewo Stein. Why change the name?)

Oh, and just disregard Dr Mario 64. It has Rudy, Stein, and WL3 enemies just for the heck of it. I don't think I can make it canon, before or after the events of Wario Land 3. So I'll just ignore that.

Last edited:
Found our "Mad Scienctien" in For The Frog The Bell Tolls.
I think I might be able to incorporate this into his backstory.

But not Dr Mario 64. Not that game. It can't be canon.

But is The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls canon? Dr. Mario 64 feels more canon to me, since it's the same shared universe.
Anyway, I'm interested in what his backstory could be.
I love backstories for characters, whether they are official or fan-made, and regardless of the role and relevance of the character in the original, official work. I'm currently writing a story about an NPC from a non-Wario-related work who has only a handful lines in the entire game, but I still think would be a good protagonist for a fanfic, for example.

I do not believe in Doctor Mario 64's story.
It's not in the Music Box. Everyone are transformed, but Rudy is alive. People acting evil, as if they were real monsters.
I just see it more as its own seperate thing.

But Frog Bell - he's got something more interesting for me to work with.

-----

Anyway, since we're talking characters,. I am not yet completly sure who else I will make main / supporting characters, and some of them I am not going to announce.

But I will say, 'Dunk' and 'Shoot', the basketball and soccer rabbits. These two brothers will deffinetly be important. As they were originally the main focus of my old abandoned story.

Also, Old Man. It was always my headcanon that he was Aerodent, the spider guarding the last music box up in the tree. I can't think of any better cursed form for him.

That's all for now.
Pre-production slowly continues.

The fact that I have lots ideas for chapters/episodes makes it hard to figure out in what order I'd want to cover these events.
The story would be episodic, but there would still be arcs and stuff. So, finding the right place for each story idea, that's a challange...

However, I believe I have at least the first 3 chapters figured out. Well, in terms of what would happen in them.

I have not yet done much with creating original characters.

However, while browsing Super Mario Wiki, I have noticed something interesting.
Wario Land 3's manual gives Spear-bot a bit of a personality. The manual reveals that he has a rivalry with Spearhead (although it is unknown if this grudge is requited), and it also suggests that Spear-bot is a firm believer in the idea that mechanical beings are superior to organic ones. Finally, the manual states that Spear-bot is mass produced, although it is unknown where.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd be able to make this part canon.
Wario Land 3 certainly has plenty of robo enemies. So maybe there's a factory that produces them.
However, I kind of always just assumed that all of the robots were also transformed people. You know, how Hammer Bot is shown in the ending cutscene.

I know I am deffinetly not required to take any of this stuff as canon within my story, especialy since we're talking about a game where the story doesn't matter that much.

Still, it is something to think about.
And just in case, I will try to study the Wario Land 3 manual, as well as use Wayback on the old american website of Wario Land 3.
Could find something interesting to use for the story.

I think this could be cool! How is Wario thought of - if at all?
Celebrated for liberating the inhabitants of the Music Box?
Hated for taking their treasure?
Or forgotten, a new folklore replacing him?

I think this could be cool! How is Wario thought of - if at all?
Celebrated for liberating the inhabitants of the Music Box?
Hated for taking their treasure?
Or forgotten, a new folklore replacing him?
The first, if you trust the game's ending. But I guess it could have changed, for some.

I'm slowly starting to write the actual content.
So, here a little sneak peak of the first episode.

It's just a first draft, and only the very beginning. Everything is subject to change.
That said, let me know what you think, and what I can improve, at least in terms of grammar and stuff like that.

Back