Work

MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
Another member here was posting about issues they had with their job, so I thought we could make it into a thread : p

Anywho, work! Anyone who is an adult needs a job, and even those who arent yet legally adults even sometimes have jobs of some sort. We can talk about what we do, what its like, what we have to deal with at work, and what wed like to do : p Could be fun : p
It doesnt have to be limited to paying work btw, it can be like volunteer work or anything like that, too.

I work in retail. My title would be "associate" : p Im a part of the DTS team, we have CTS, which really is limited to register work and customer services. And we have the Furniture team, they sell furniture exclusively : p And the Recovery team, their entire job is to clean the shelves and pull merchandise up for customers to shop easier : p And the DTS team, they pretty much do everything else : p We work the truck, we run the frieght and we stock the store.

I also have a few other duties often handed down to me. Im often asked to merchandise, like, I often have to move stuff around. Like, I have to take 4 four foot sections and condense them all into one four foot endcap : p I have a reputation for knowing how to merchandise in my store, which is awesome : 3 So Im often asked to move product around and organize sections and set up displays and junk, Im proud of that : 3 And I often run register, too. The only thing Im not good at with register is customer service, I have some anxiety problems so I dont always handle helping customers very well : / Id probly be asked to run register more if I were better with that.

I work for a buyout store, but its a big and well known chain that has many shops in and around the country. Im sure most of you have one near you : p I do well, and Ive had more than one manager tell me Im their favorite and that Im awesome and that theyre glad I work for them, and thats pretty cool : p

I have many complaints about it, though : p But this is already long so Ill let someone else post a bit and post more later : p

Retail can be rough. Handling customers is almost always the worst part of a job in my experience, made worse if you have to push credit cards or reward programs. That's great that you have a manager on your side!

I'm a writer. Press releases, ads, and so on. It's a nice gig. I'm mostly just writing, editing, and listening to music all day.

Haha, yeah thats my biggest problem, handling customers : p I like am too afraid to ask them things, like Im pretty good at asking them if they have a rewards card, but if they say no, Im supposed to ask if theyd like to sign up for one. I never ask that ever : p I dont wanna try to get them to sign up, I am not a salesman at all : p

Also Im afraid to answer the phone, I have a fear of not knowing how to answer their questions. Especially if Im with a customer. Like Ill answer the phone, but I cant turn from a customer to do it, even though were supposed to do it. I get too anxious when a call comes through when Im with a customer. Dont like it.
Luckily, I can say that my experience with customers is generally positive. People generally like me. And I am good at smiling, being friendly, telling them to have a wonderful day, ect. And Im told that I am good with the customers, Im polite and junk. I just get anxious with them : p

And neat, I think writing would be a way fun job. Especially with the news, would be way cool to keep up with current events like that. Would be way more interetsing than retail : p Plus getting to work alone like that, I often wish I had more peace and quiet at work : p

Working in the canning factory isn't the easiest. Having to sort the good and bad foods isn't so bad, but it gets boring.

When I'm on the peeling line, though, that's when it gets tough on my back and shoulders. To make it worse, sitting down when on the peeling line seems to hinder my work, so I'm forced to stand there all the damn time.

And then there's sorting cans, which isn't as bad, but I'd rather not be doing it the whole day, for it wears me right out when I do.

It doesn't help that some coworkers are morons. Especially the ones who yelled at me for the unspeakable crime of...trying to make sure the potatoes don't clog the machines up. Look, you wanna complain about me doing my job at all, talk to the supervisors. Last I checked, that's what I'm supposed to do.

Despite this? It's not a bad place to work as long as you stay away from the idiots.

Sorting wouldnt be so bad, like repetitive motion helps time go by quicker from my experience : p As long as you work hard, it can make the day go by fast. (I do alot of sorting at my job : p)

Whats the peeling line btw? And I have to stand all day, too. And I have to take an hour walk to get to work and an hour walk back : p Do they make you wear boots? That would make your feet hurt alot worse if they did.

And ah! I have two guys at work who do that to me, too. Yell at me for doing exactly what we need to do. I was once taking these collapsed pallets down and putting them onto flat carts to move them, the pallets were blocking the place where the corner piece of rails we use to unload the truck goes. It needed to be cleared out before we could put it back. One of these guys came over to me and told me I had to stop what I was doing and help him bring in the corner piece. I told him first we had to clear the spot for it, but he just talked over me about how I needed to stop what I was doing and help him. I got so angry that I talked to him in a very rude tone (as if he were an idiot : /) and told him that we couldnt possibly bring it in until we pulled the freight out from its spot.

I heard a manager tell another manager I was rude for how I treated him, but they werent there when he kept yelling at me about how I needed to stop to bring in the piece that we couldnt bring in because we didnt have anywhere to put it yet >.> That made me kinda angry.

And I agree : p I think I would like my job alot more if I could work alone : p I dont hate my team, but.... they can be a pain sometimes, and Ive lost almost all trust in my team leader : /

I am an assistant manager at a grocery store. I do everything that you can do there. I'm mainly helping out the produce section most of the time but if they need help in other areas than off I go. The enviorement was fine when I started there but now its gotten kinda out of control and I have to be the one to help everyone with their problems.

I am also a business owner, owning multiple bussinesses, and I am also a life coach. So I am certified to help people and mentor them with their personal problems.(yes, if you want help pm me. Free o charge!).

That bein said, i am also thinking of one day going to college to become a pastor for a baptist church. It really feels like it's something I should do!

I sometimes think about working to become a minister of some kind, to help those who deal with the same problems I do.

Dunno If Ill ever do it, though : p Theres other things I wanna do, too. On top of that I have work. Id like to do it, but no idea how. (also I cant drive). But its definitely something I have a passion for, and maybe I can help in that way someday.

While I'm sure it is not quite the same as face-to-face interaction, you can always help support others online. I occasionally browse postings on Experience Project. Additionally, I like to help in any way I can with struggling LGBTQ youth. Just having someone to talk to can help.

I actually do talk with people online who look for encouragement and a friend who deals with the same issues, yeah : p I actually have a forum where people would point others who came looking for help in my direction, and they would take with me for days. I learned alot from others who were older than me who dealt with the same problems who wanted to talk with me, too. And that was way cool : p

I havent been back there in some time, though. Have been busy lately. I should take the time to do that again.

I remember when I sought help, although the people I talked to were very friendly and welcoming, there werent really many people who had dealt with these same issues, and they didnt really know how to deal with it. It would be cool to be someone who knows that life and can help somehow.

While I'm sure it is not quite the same as face-to-face interaction, you can always help support others online. I occasionally browse postings on Experience Project. Additionally, I like to help in any way I can with struggling LGBTQ youth. Just having someone to talk to can help.

No, but there are ways you can make it close to but you cant fully ever replicate it.

O dear, expirience project is such a dangerous place. So many people on there having no idea what theyre talking about. It really scares me. Ive helped a few people off there, and took them away from that horrid place xP

Similarly, I've helped guide friends away from the traps of our childhood church.
Sorry. Guess I got a bad impression of it. I understand the premise of it attracts people looking for support for a number of reasons. I guess like in many things the bad stood out to me more.

Sorting wouldnt be so bad, like repetitive motion helps time go by quicker from my experience : p As long as you work hard, it can make the day go by fast. (I do alot of sorting at my job : p)

Whats the peeling line btw? And I have to stand all day, too. And I have to take an hour walk to get to work and an hour walk back : p Do they make you wear boots? That would make your feet hurt alot worse if they did.

And ah! I have two guys at work who do that to me, too. Yell at me for doing exactly what we need to do. I was once taking these collapsed pallets down and putting them onto flat carts to move them, the pallets were blocking the place where the corner piece of rails we use to unload the truck goes. It needed to be cleared out before we could put it back. One of these guys came over to me and told me I had to stop what I was doing and help him bring in the corner piece. I told him first we had to clear the spot for it, but he just talked over me about how I needed to stop what I was doing and help him. I got so angry that I talked to him in a very rude tone (as if he were an idiot : /) and told him that we couldnt possibly bring it in until we pulled the freight out from its spot.

I heard a manager tell another manager I was rude for how I treated him, but they werent there when he kept yelling at me about how I needed to stop to bring in the piece that we couldnt bring in because we didnt have anywhere to put it yet >.> That made me kinda angry.

And I agree : p I think I would like my job alot more if I could work alone : p I dont hate my team, but.... they can be a pain sometimes, and Ive lost almost all trust in my team leader : /
I'm advised to wear either boots, or shoes I'm not afraid of destroying. I opt for boots. Not so bad once you get used to it.

I think I've explained what the peeling line is, but I'll say it again, in more detail; either whole potatoes or carrots (usually the former) come in at fast spped going upward, and it's up to whoever's there to try and get as many bad ones as they can. It's harder on the shoulders and back than it sounds. Everybody hates it there.

Oh, you work at retail? Your store may be carrying some of my handiwork...

I'm advised to wear either boots, or shoes I'm not afraid of destroying. I opt for boots. Not so bad once you get used to it.

I think I've explained what the peeling line is, but I'll say it again, in more detail; either whole potatoes or carrots (usually the former) come in at fast spped going upward, and it's up to whoever's there to try and get as many bad ones as they can. It's harder on the shoulders and back than it sounds. Everybody hates it there.

Oh, you work at retail? Your store may be carrying some of my handiwork...

Haha really? we have people who wear boots at work, too. Dunno how anyone can walk around in boots 8 hours a day : p

And I see, quick repetitive motions like that would definitely wear out your muscles, yeah : / Can see how that would be a hard job. At least you dont have to do it everyday : p

And haha yeah, maybe. We do carry alot of canned foods : p In fact right now we have so many weve had to set up displays for much of it : p Its actually becoming frustrating, all the cans the corporation is sending us : p

Oh and body pains, I actually do get alot of that at work, too. Mostly my legs, like I mentioned before, I cant drive so I walk to work. And my work is about a 50 minute walk from my house. So lets say I work a 6 hour day, I have to walk there and back, and my job is laborous, I walk the entire time all around the store. So thats almost 8 hours of walking. If its a 9 hour day, which I do get sometimes, thats almost 11 hours of walking : p It can wear me out sometimes.

On top of that, I work truck and freight. My duty on the truck is the ware house. The rails are set from inside the truck down through the doors, through the furniture warehouse into the frieght wearhouse. My job is to take every box that comes down the rails, and to carry it to the right pallet depending on what it is, and stacking it so it doesnt fall off the pallet.

Once a pallet is full, I have to move it down the lane with a pallet jack, grab a new pallet (I hear some of them are around 50 pounds) lay it down and start again. We generally get anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 items on a truck. Some boxes are light, like a box of chips or whatever. Then we get some that are cases with gallons of juice or bleach or other heavy items : p They can get very heavy and hard to carry over and over.

On top of that, we sell furniture. Like, bed frames, cabinets, dressers, bookshelves, couches, beds, fire places and all that junk : p And they come in off the trucks, too. Some of them are around 200-300 pounds, and we have to put them on pallets ourselves, drag them down from a ramp (which is dangerous because these pallets are really heavy) and pull them up a ramp into the warehouse. So my legs get pretty tired, and on truck day my arms and shoulders can hurt a bit, too : p
It can be harder than it sounds, Im sure most people think I stand at a register for a few hours. I really dont : p

Aren't you guys a welcoming bunch.

Very welcoming <3

On another note, I work completely solo on days like these. It can get pretty rough, but I'm kinda glad that I don't have to cut fruit today.. hopefully.

I also get like furniture and crap off palletes as well but nothing heavy like mona ware. I use to be a warehouseman where I was the one who prepared the palletes to be shipped to stores.

Last edited:
On another note, I work completely solo on days like these. It can get pretty rough, but I'm kinda glad that I don't have to cut fruit today.. hopefully.

I also get like furniture and crap off palletes as well but nothing heavy like mona ware. I use to be a warehouseman where I was the one who prepared the palletes to be shipped to stores.

Oh we dont get pre-made pallets, we literally have thousands of boxes on a truck, and we have to get them into the ware house and palletize them ourselves : p

And cut fruit? Whats that mean?

Back