Would we get more games if the fanbase was bigger?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
I mean, the fanbase is currently small enough that Nintendo could ignore it, but if it really, really got bigger, do you think we'd get more Wario Land and WarioWare games?

Cause the other franchises with issues in the past (F-Zero, Star Fox) also didn't have a huge fan presence online...

That's kinda a no-duh question, no? More people guaranteed to buy the gaems = more sales= more incentive to make new games = more incentive to give the series to another team if the original devs retired or are reshuflled by internal restructuing... etc. I can go on for a while. Unless your question actually is "Would we get more gaems if the fanbase is more vocal?"

Wario Land (and even WarioWare when it was relevant) consistently sold more than franchises with a louder internet following like F-Zero, Star Fox, and Metroid, but you don't see people asking for a new game in interviews or social medias, rumours about new installments... etc like you do with those other series. I don't know how much the noise of a tiny minority of internet fanboys factors in the multi-billion vidya industry, but I suppose having a vocal following is an asset regardless.

Well I doubt it. Just look at M/EB's following and currently only VC and DLC out to support the series. I think this is more of a special case but in some ways may be related in terms of maybe censoring or influence in order to fit a theme well? Although M/EB has such things as needing to be translated and such... Maybe Wario needs some ogre-like layers in his games so it fits with the internet "norm" and gain popularity but then again who would want that.

I'm not sure if it's a factor but in cases like these I always remember the Earthbound fanbase? It's only got 3 games, yet it's so productive it managed to get a fangame done and translate the games that weren't released out of japan for the rest of the fans, not to mention all the beautiful fanart that constantly gets done. I say this because Nintendo seemed like they didn't want anything to do with Earthbound judging by how they joked around the fanbase wanting an oficial release of Mother 3 outside of Japan yet now they did so with the first one after all this time...

I'd say it's admirable how a fanbase can be so strong, specially with such little official material to work with, and that the Earthbound Zero/Beginnings release does feel like a reward for being so vocal and so productive, actively supporting the games and all. I dunno if it actually factors in it, but just saying there's so many different cases and results it's just weird to know what Ninty takes into consideration? I would say being a bit louder would definitely help, since as of now it seems like it's just the people around here paying attention to the games and all :c

Wario Land (and even WarioWare when it was relevant) consistently sold more than franchises with a louder internet following like Star Fox

The Wario games average 2,26 sales, whereas the Star Fox games average 2,94. Individually, the only Wario game that tops Star Fox 64's sales is Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, and none of the other games top Star Fox's 2,99.

For the other franchises your statement is true, but Wario does not sell as well as Star Fox does.

For the other franchises your statement is true, but Wario does not sell as well as Star Fox does.

The list doesn't include Assault, Command, or 64-3DS because they didn't sell more than a million. All Wario Lands beside VB Wario Land for obvious reasons (i don't consider master of disguise part of the series) broke that barrier, while half of the Star Fox releases didn't.

This is true for Warioware (though there are considerable differences in manpower and development time that could mean Warioware Twisted selling 500k is more profitable than Star Fox COmmand at 800k - opportunity cost and etc). This is speculation, though????

Back