1 Year Reflection or TL;DR

One of the biggest problems with the sites are lulls in activity. Despite them not seeming to be, they are major problems. Because of these lulls the forums have never really been able to really build up an identity or character. The best way I could describe it is like a sand castle that constantly gets washed away before it ever gets finished. That's how this site feels to me. After a while Wario talk dried up but that should not have been such a problem if we could keep getting new people to come in and share fresh ideas.

I think you basically explained the issue Wario itself has as a series.

It's always had fans, but never been able to get a fanbase to stick around for the long term. It's arguably what killed both Kitchen Island (a previous Wario forum site) and the Wario subreddit.

But hey, sorry you're disappointed with the forums. It's quite hard to get people interested in the series at the moment.

Instead of going with a linear narrative I'm going to simply compare then to the formative experiences I've had up to this point. As a whole I would say my experience on this forum has been disappointing. A lot of people on this site talk about the forums being oh so "tightly knit" but I honestly don't see it that way at all. I just see a loose core of people along with an outer shell that is constantly changing of people who are simply overly nice. Being overly nice to each other isn't the same as being tightly knit. A lot of interesting people throughout my stay here have become inactive or mostly faded away. Not to say that the remaining people aren't interesting but their absence can certainly be felt as they brought different things to the table.

Wait, overly nice? I don't think repecting others and trying our best to not start a fight over stupid things makes us "overly nice"... we may not be together or "tightly knit" all the time, but at least we are able to get along when we join in a discussion.

Anyway, as CM30 said, it's hard to have topics and discussions going over a forgotten series. But at least we are still able to find stuff here and there, with the recently discovered Wario Land 4 title theme uncompressed voices and stuff like that.

Wait, overly nice? I don't think repecting others and trying our best to not start a fight over stupid things makes us "overly nice"... we may not be together or "tightly knit" all the time, but at least we are able to get along when we join in a discussion.

Anyway, as CM30 said, it's hard to have topics and discussions going over a forgotten series. But at least we are still able to find stuff here and there, with the recently discovered Wario Land 4 title theme uncompressed voices and stuff like that.

Yeah, I have to side-eye that as well. I don't see why it's a bad thing to be overtly-nice... I mean, the people on these forums definitely do have their backbite and their backbone if that's what he was implying.
It's a breath of fresh air, honestly. Everywhere else on the internet you get people being offended over little things and being very callous and argumentative yet you want our forum to turn into that... really?
Shit, I thought it was a good thing that our forums was like that.

That being said, I don't really mind the low activity. I mean, I got college and other stuff to do. What's the problem with that?

There's something about the small community that I honestly like. Usually on bigger forums, drama occurs a lot more often and there would often be people I didn't like. Here, there hasn't been anyone I don't like or hate, so I have been pretty kind here.

The only big forum I tolerate (won't name it here because last time that happened I got tracked down) is where there is a wide diversity of topics and different sorts of users from everywhere. The rest .... well let's just say it never goes well for me

Sorry if this sounded overly negative. Part of that is because I personal invested myself perhaps too much to try to get this place to be active which is no fault of anyone but myself.

To clarify, I'm personally not too fond of communities that are too nice. Welcoming yes but too nice is kind of not my thing. BUT that is beyond the point. My main problem is this. Aside from a couple people who talk a lot about themselves I don't feel like everyone knows quite that well compared to some more genuinely tight knight communities. What I was trying to say which I probably wrote out too negatively was basically that it feels like people are just really nice to each other but people don't really know each other all that well. It feels like the people don't really want to talk about themselves all that much which is necessary to maintain a community when the usual topic has been exhausted. I don't know maybe people prefer to talk about themselves elsewhere. A problem relating to this is just people sort of disappearing which also hurts forming a community.

Again excuse me for sounding so negative I just got a bit emotional since I am passionate about the forums and its outlook has been frustrating.

Sorry if this sounded overly negative. Part of that is because I personal invested myself perhaps too much to try to get this place to be active which is no fault of anyone but myself.

To clarify, I'm personally not too fond of communities that are too nice. Welcoming yes but too nice is kind of not my thing. BUT that is beyond the point. My main problem is this. Aside from a couple people who talk a lot about themselves I don't feel like everyone knows quite that well compared to some more genuinely tight knight communities. What I was trying to say which I probably wrote out too negatively was basically that it feels like people are just really nice to each other but people don't really know each other all that well. It feels like the people don't really want to talk about themselves all that much which is necessary to maintain a community when the usual topic has been exhausted. I don't know maybe people prefer to talk about themselves elsewhere. A problem relating to this is just people sort of disappearing which also hurts forming a community.

Again excuse me for sounding so negative I just got a bit emotional since I am passionate about the forums and its outlook has been frustrating.

Ok, I see where you're going. I can agree with that, we don't know eachother that well yet we're nice. It kinda sounds like we're faking, right?
But I personally don't see it that way. I never expect people to share their life or their personality or any of that anywhere. We're online and we are people discussing topics about a certain video game series. I don't care who you are, I care about your opinion of my interests, I care about your knowledge about them, and I don't expect to know you as a person.
However, if I get to know you, that's your choice, and I'd gladly be your friend if the conversation flow that way. I open myself more because I need to let it out and talk, since I'm pretty much alone, if not for my gf.
Finally, I can say that I know a lot of members in these forums, mostly because they started conversations. If you think you need to know more about someone, send them a message and talk to them. Or check the social threads. I can tell you there are a lot of great members here, all with their problems and quirks.

Now, I don't know you, Magma, but since you never step forward to know other members better, I'm not the one who's gonna do it, because, as I said, I just want to know your opinions, choices and ideas on Wario and his games. Ask anyone you want, I never start a "let's get to know eachother" conversation, never. I just don't want to, unless you find the interest to do so.

I don't see it as "faking". I just sort of see talking more about yourself as a bit of a necessity when the core subject in a community has been exhausted. Especially in a much smaller forum. I'm not saying people need to give out their life stories but maybe just say a bit more about what they like and respond to simple chatter. I understand your viewpoint and I see it as totally valid though I feel like it's better suited for larger forums that are more discussion based and have more material to cover in discussions.

I don't see it as "faking". I just sort of see talking more about yourself as a bit of a necessity when the core subject in a community has been exhausted. Especially in a much smaller forum. I'm not saying people need to give out their life stories but maybe just say a bit more about what they like and respond to simple chatter. I understand your viewpoint and I see it as totally valid though I feel like it's better suited for larger forums that are more discussion based and have more material to cover in discussions.

Ok then, it's a valid point.
And well, I said "faking" because I don't have a better word for it, due to my poor vocabulary... :\
I'd love to meet more people here, including you, I'm just not the kind of person to go and ask.

I get what you mean in that case. I guess in simple terms I feel like people could stand to just stick around and talk about whatever. I'm not saying we all have to be best friends with each other.

I get what you mean in that case. I guess in simple terms I feel like people could stand to just stick around and talk about whatever. I'm not saying we all have to be best friends with each other.

Sure, let's try that then! I agree it could be heathy since we're a small community, like you said. :)

Why do you think MonaWare started so many threads in the general discussion? And why did I start threads like "OC characters" and "Wario trailers"?
These are all topics to participate, get everyone involved and get to know eachother at the end.

Even this one is making us know eachother each response we give, in a way.

Absolutely, I just don't get why all those topics just sort of abruptly died since they're broad and easy to keep talking about.

Absolutely, I just don't get why all those topics just sort of abruptly died since they're broad and easy to keep talking about.

Well, it's mostly to not go off topic, some of them just don't have much to substance to add. People migrate then to topics like "the Social Thread" and "Random Post of Goofiness", which are more open ended.

I'll admit I get angry too easy, and it happens way too often then I'd like it to. Though I'll be welcoming to new users, but that won't mean I'll like them right away, only time will tell.

Sure, you don't like people right away like that, it doesn't work that way. You can simpathise (using new words...) with them, but it's through time and conversations that you get to actually relate to them, and maybe befriend them.

Back