Anyone think the popularity of Ashley is a good thing for the fandom?

At the end of the day...

WWIMM_GoldDigger.PNG

It's a series full of stuff like this that we're talking about here.

Ashley isn't even a generic character, her design is pretty cool and unlike anything Nintendo has done with its characters. What makes her so generic to you? If she were just some generic girl in the Warioware series nobody would pay attention to her.

Well, first off look at those two huge pigtails, I've seen characters with those but not nearly as big, it goes well with her character! she has a cool tiara, or headband as some people call it, it looks very nice, and if you were only to show the tiara people will remember it as Ashley's, not some random generic tiara.

Her dress is unlike anything the Nintendo universe has seen! so simple yet very creative, not to mention that scarf she wears around her dress complete with skull, her dress is very recognizable, not some generic dress people seen a bunch of times. Her design is something new to Nintendo, which is why a lot of the people who are fans of her say her design is very unique and cool, going as far to say she's one of Nintendo's best character in years.

She isn't as generic as Rosalina, design wise.

Yellow Mario is great and all, but Ashley isn't the least generic, in terms of Nintendo characters.

Ashley's immense popularity among the characters in the series is somewhat strange to me. Nothing against her--I like Ashley to an extent--but I'd have figured Mona, what with her seniority, prominent position and important role in the series as well as her quirky personality and deliciously shapely figure would be far and away the most popular. Among the OCs she's certainly my favorite.

But at the end of the day I gotta side with @blanche on this one-- Wario's the main man and always will be. The guy is brimming with personality.

mona2.png

Well, first off look at those two huge pigtails, I've seen characters with those but not nearly as big, it goes well with her character!
tumblr_nssm1jmxaL1qjkedbo1_1280.png

latest

8d59bd8cb8e35683eb796986097c5e65.jpg

There's a whole trope for this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MegaTwintails
Goes well with their characters too.
she has a cool tiara, or headband as some people call it, it looks very nice, and if you were only to show the tiara people will remember it as Ashley's, not some random generic tiara.
Ashley is not an iconic character and most people outside the Sm4sh/WarioWare fanbase, never mind outside the Nintendo one doesn't know who she is.

Her dress is unlike anything the Nintendo universe has seen! so simple yet very creative, not to mention that scarf she wears around her dress complete with skull, her dress is very recognizable, not some generic dress people seen a bunch of times. Her design is something new to Nintendo, which is why a lot of the people who are fans of her say her design is very unique and cool, going as far to say she's one of Nintendo's best character in years.
A red mini-dress, unlike what Nintendo has seen indeed.
9138c47718184b9e5003dfcfa3b17198-650-80.jpg

The witchery imagery isn't uncommon in Japanese media at all
2363341-witch.png

8263eff6df2dbcdaed58c4177447f161.png

Wow, simply unique and cool indeed. More like an assortment of random witch designs present in the medium for about 3 decades, right?

She isn't as generic as Rosalina, design wise.
All the Nintendo girls are arguably generic and samey in some way, but I do admit Rosalina's Veronica Lake inspired hair-do and sleeping gown seems more innovative than Ashley's generic witch gear.

Yellow Mario is great and all, but Ashley isn't the least generic, in terms of Nintendo characters.

Ashley is the biggest archetype there is.
Angsty, emotionally troubled teen? Check.
A teenage witch? Check, actually there's a show about that.
A witch with a childish design and cold manners? Check, check, check a rooooooooooooooni.
A little girl with a Satan-esque familiar around her? Check de la check de check

Ashley's immense popularity among the characters in the series is somewhat strange to me. Nothing against her--I like Ashley to an extent--but I'd have figured Mona, what with her seniority, prominent position and important role in the series as well as her quirky personality and deliciously shapely figure would be far and away the most popular. Among the OCs she's certainly my favorite.

But at the end of the day I gotta side with @blanche on this one-- Wario's the main man and always will be. The guy is brimming with personality.

View attachment 2663
Deliciously shapely figure might be going too far :dead:. But she does have a more attractive design than Ashley, definitely.

Haha, lol. Anyway, I admit defeat. But I don't really care, nor does anyone else who likes Ashley. Her design is pretty far out for a Wario character, and probably the most interesting character of all Wario titles. You wouldn't expect this kind of character only appearing in Wario titles.

Facts are facts though, she's popular, deal with it.

Just let people like what they like, you can't change that. You can't ask why people like a character just because they are generic, people have their own reasoning in liking a character. Be it design, personality or just like those kind of characters. People could like cute witches, people could like her for many reasons.

Never ask why people like a character, you don't know them or what they like.

Haha, lol. Anyway, I admit defeat. But I don't really care, nor does anyone else who likes Ashley. Her design is pretty far out for a Wario character, and probably the most interesting character of all Wario titles. You wouldn't expect this kind of character only appearing in Wario titles.

Facts are facts though, she's popular, deal with it.

You're right, her design is far out.... in that it's so awfully generic in such a colorful and diverse cast full of unique designs that are rarely seen in the medium they're in.
It's so far out that it should of been left in the pre-approval garbage bin or better yet, in a series where everyone already looks samey and generic to begin with.

Facts are facts, Since Ashley the character has no merit nor originality put into her, anyone who dislikes her should not be forced to tolerate her presence and especially not the blatant favoritism and attention she's been receiving from Nintendo. Yeah Ashley fans are right, she sticks out in a way a sore thumb sticks out the hand of perfectly manicured pretty nails with beautiful designs and vivid imagery.

Ashley only ever crosses my mind whenever Kyon mentions her. But yeah, he's allowed to be a fan of her, nothing wrong with that.

I never said there was anything wrong with that. The topic at hand is "Is Ashley's popularity good for the fandom" and I think it isn't .
So I will further elaborate on my thoughts and I will provide examples and points for anyone who has a counterargument towards my opinion. This is how a discussion goes.

Like Ninja_Cat said, I'm allowed to like Ashley. Just because you think she's generic doesn't mean she's generic to everyone else, people just like her, that's the end of it. Let people like who they like, generic or not. To me, she's a pretty wicked character.

Your so called "points" don't add up either, tell me, do you come up with everyone's opinion? do you think for everyone else? do you know what characters people should like? no, no you don't. Your point was basically "OH! SHE IS LIKE EVERY OTHER CHARACTER! NOBODY SHOULD LIKE HER!".

Back