Apparently Renegade Kid wanted to bring VB Wario Land to the 3DS at one point.

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...
I don't know if this was mentioned or brought up in the past, so forgive me if this was.

Remember that mockup of a full color VB Wario Land by Jools Watsham (Former head of now defunct Renagade Kid and head of Atooi) awhile back?

Apparently, according to an IGN NVC Podcast interview 2 years ago with him (that got swept under the rug for some reason), Renagade Kid actually at one point, pitched that very mockup to Nintendo themselves with plans to not only bring VB Wario Land, but also apparently the full Virtual Boy line to the Nintendo 3DS.

However, it was sadly turned down by Nintendo. There was no official explaination regarding why it was turned down, but Jools Watsham speculated that there was a feeling that Nintendo just wants to sweep the Virtual Boy under the rug and move on, (That's just his speculation though, so don't take that as official.) which considering how much of a flop the Virtual Boy was, doesn't really surprise me sadly.

Still pretty sad though, imagine having not only having VB Wario Land in full color on the 3DS, but potentially other Virtual Boy games as well.
what an wasted oppertunity this was.

Last edited:
Interesting, makes me wonder why it was rejected, I doubt that it had anything to do with them wanting to sweep the Virtual Boy under the rug, because otherwise I'm pretty certain that Nintendo wouldn't allow Virtual Boy references in their modern games.

Interesting, makes me wonder why it was rejected, I doubt that it had anything to do with them wanting to sweep the Virtual Boy under the rug, because otherwise I'm pretty certain that Nintendo wouldn't allow Virtual Boy references in their modern games.

I think that is it though. Nintendo making a reference to the Virtual Boy here and there doesn't really mean anything, the fact they do it in the first place feels like it's more out of obligation and consistency since they reference the rest of their products.

Wait? Renagade Kid closed down.....

I thought they were doing well with their games.

What happened @TB100
In summer of 2016, the co founders of Renagade Kid have decided to close down Renagade Kid and instead split into two seperate companies.
Atooi and Infitizmo, Atooi being formed by Jools Watsham and Infitizmo being formed by Gregg Hargrove, Atooi will gain the rights of the 2D Games and will continue to develop retro titles like Mutant Mudds and all that, while Infitizmo will gain the rights to the 3D Games and will be more ambitious in nature, focusing more on storytelling and cross medium entertainment alongside video games.
When asked why they split apart into two companies, an Nintendo Life interview explains.
Nintendo Life said:
JW: The video game industry has changed a lot in the past 10 years that we've been developing games as Renegade Kid. From the very beginning, it has always been a challenge to secure partnerships with publishers to fund the development of original games, and since the advent of self-publishing – when digital distribution became more mainstream – it has shifted our business model towards becoming more dependent on revenue instead of seeking funding from publishing partners. As such, it has been a great financial challenge and an extreme workload for the entire team to maintain a balance between cash flow, staying competitive with our games, and spending quality time with our families and friends. Couple these realities with the desire to achieve personal goals, Gregg and I came to the difficult decision to each pursue solo ventures and close Renegade Kid.

Starting fresh with small, lean teams enables us both to focus more on less moving parts and potentially achieve better success. It puts both Atooi and Infitizmo in more advantageous positions.

GH: Exactly!

So there you have it. that's what happened to Renagade Kid.

In summer of 2016, the co founders of Renagade Kid have decided to close down Renagade Kid and instead split into two seperate companies.
Atooi and Infitizmo, Atooi being formed by Jools Watsham and Infitizmo being formed by Gregg Hargrove, Atooi will gain the rights of the 2D Games and will continue to develop retro titles like Mutant Mudds and all that, while Infitizmo will gain the rights to the 3D Games and will be more ambitious in nature, focusing more on storytelling and cross medium entertainment alongside video games.
When asked why they split apart into two companies, an Nintendo Life interview explains.

So there you have it. that's what happened to Renagade Kid.
That's so sad. :(

I would've loved to have this. The colors on the mock-up don't look great, but I love that they tried this at all.

Weren't there rumours about a VB Wario Land remake? If so, maybe this wasn't such a doomed concept after all. Maybe Nintendo themselves took it in house, or eventually gave Renegade Kid the rights.

Or perhaps the rumours were based on this. Hard to tell.

Weren't there rumours about a VB Wario Land remake? If so, maybe this wasn't such a doomed concept after all. Maybe Nintendo themselves took it in house, or eventually gave Renegade Kid the rights.

Or perhaps the rumours were based on this. Hard to tell.
Shades of the whole AM2R thing? Maybe but I doubt it. I don't doubt that Nintendo likes to be in control though. Unlike other developers, has Nintendo given their blessings to any fan projects recently?

Nintendo have been sweeping Wario Land under the rug in general since NSMB, though. The only references we've got to it in recent years are the Wario Land 3 minigame in WarioWare Gold and possibly the Zombie Mario outfit in Super Mario Odyssey.

Back