Are most Ashley fans really WarioWare fans?

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
If you look around in most WarioWare fan circles, you'll notice that most of the focus is going towards only Ashley. Have these people actually played enough WarioWare games? Or are Ashley and her song their only exposure to it?

It makes you wonder, how many of her fans actually know anything about the series? Or even try to, for that matter? In fact, I'm surprised they managed to know about her at all.

It's like the Captain Falcon effect. He's popular for other reasons, but how many people who know about him know about F-Zero itself?

If you look around in most WarioWare fan circles, you'll notice that most of the focus is going towards only Ashley. Have these people actually played enough WarioWare games? Or are Ashley and her song their only exposure to it?

It makes you wonder, how many of her fans actually know anything about the series? Or even try to, for that matter? In fact, I'm surprised they managed to know about her at all.

It's like the Captain Falcon effect. He's popular for other reasons, but how many people who know about him know about F-Zero itself?

To be honest, it's hard to tell. On the one hand, a lot of the people who like the character do seem to have at least some level of familiarity with the rest of the series, there's an almost equally high amount of art and fan material featuring all WarioWare characters rather than just Ashley. For example, lots of group shots here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...PY7WaoSXgKAG&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1682&bih=807

Yeah there are a lot of Ashley fan pics here, but also a lot of general Wario cast ones...

Now, does that mean there aren't die hard Ashley fans who only care about her character or whatever? No. Indeed, to some degree, it's sort of similar to the situation with Rosalina, Midna and Krystal to some degree, they're all popular female characters from their respective series with a certain amount of fans who only seem to be interested in them specifically. Some maybe are interested in them a bit too much, like these people (from an affiliate's site):

http://wantmidnaback.com/

But that's only natural to some degree. Every franchise has a small subset of fans who are more fans of one character (or in live action works, actor/actress) rather than series. Like the small percentage of Doctor Who fangirls who mostly only cared about how 'cute' David Tennant or Matt Smith were.

The thing is though, they're pretty much always just a minority. To make another Doctor Who comparison, how many people actually stopped watching because the Doctor was played by the older Peter Capaldi? Very few. Were there some minor outcries by shallow morons on Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr? Probably, but they were mostly outnumbered by a very large group of people who kept enjoying the series based on the writing and universe and story and other stuff.

Same goes here with Ashley and her fanbase, as compared to the Wario one in general. There are a few people who only care about or have only heard of Ashley and her theme song, but they're only a very, very small minority. And if you need proof of that... well, ask yourself this:

Did Ashley's fanbase make even the smallest contribution to Game & Wario's sales? Cause she was pretty prominently featured in it, yet it still bombed hard. That doesn't happen if a character has a massive fanbase who likes them to the degree of other 'favourites' in other media. The people out there who like other similar characters at the expense of their main franchise will usually buy just about everything with them in it. For example, there's a reason why the Midna site mentioned went nuts for Hyrule Warriors...

Did her deconfirmation as playable in Smash Bros 4 do anything to the game's sales success? Of course not. The people whining about her not being playable are at best about 0.5% of Smash Bros 4 fans, and are outnumbered by an order of magnitude by the fanboys and fangirls for characters like King K Rool and Ridley.

Basically, the type of Ashley fans you hint at, don't really exist in a significant number. If I put a poll up on DeviantArt or Tumblr asking the following questions:

1. Do you like Ashley (WarioWare series)?

2. Are you a Wario fan?

3. Do you buy Wario games where Ashley isn't present?

Then I bet the results would be that just about no one would say yes to the first and no to the last two questions.

The only reason a lot of focus is going towards Ashley is general character popularity among WarioWare fans. It's like how most Mario & Luigi fan art is all about the villains (like Antasma or Fawful) or the ensemble darkhorse non villains (like Kylie Koopa, Popple or the Massif Bros). No one out there is going to be a Fawful or Antasma fan who knows nothing about the Mario & Luigi series.

I still like Mona best. :T
Mona_WWI-MPG.png

And nobody seems to care about her anymore either.

There was a time when more people knew about and liked Mona. But what happened?
People still like her, I see people asking for her in Mario Kart/Golf etc, all of the time.
You keep saying that Game & Wario pretty much proves that people don't care about it's characters anymore, but honestly G & W wasn't THAT great, when it comes to doing more with them, especially compared to mega party game$, if G & W was anything like that than I would understand your argument more...

G&W just had too many uninteresting minigames. :/
I'm actually rather fond of G&W, but I do get why others wouldn't be, I especially don't get why Pyoro was the super secret final minigame, i'ts even weirder because appearently some of the magazines that i've read weren't allowed to spoil it...
I mean it's cool to see Pyoro again, but his game would have been better of an extra...

People still like her, I see people asking for her in Mario Kart/Golf etc, all of the time.
You keep saying that Game & Wario pretty much proves that people don't care about it's characters anymore, but honestly G & W wasn't THAT great, when it comes to doing more with them, especially compared to mega party game$, if G & W was anything like that than I would understand your argument more...
Yet nobody batted an eye, much less cried foul over her Game & Wario redesign.

To be fair though, only a few of the characters in Game & Wario had more done with them. Most of the others, they can be replaced with anyone. (Design used to be an E3 demo for the Wii U, except without Dr. Crygor)

And yes, the Pyoro game in Game & Wario went to crap. I didn't like how the awesome Pyoro BGM wasn't there, but instead we get the grating G&W sound effects from the GamePad.

Boodestroyer: I have seen several people complain about it in her smashboards supporting thread, so yeah... I don't get were you are getting your nobodies from...
Not trying to be rude but why are you so convinced that abolutly nobody cares for this series and it's characters?

Last edited:
I'm not fond of her color scheme and her giant pitch black pupils. :/
It just feels weird since her eyes have always been blue.
It's like as if Wario's mustache was suddenly red.

...oh wait...

180px-WarioManTwisted.png

Yes actually. The only other human characters we have to go off of from the Wario Land series is Captain Syrup, Mad Scienstein, Dr. Arewo Stein, and Princess Shokora.

Studying these characters and the characters of Wario Ware series I'd say they look like they could all belong to the same series. At least better than the Game & Wario designs allow.

But those Wario Land characters aren't WarioWare enough either. Put the former together with the latter and they still wouldn't fit in together. Actually, I don't think Wario even has ever had a "consistent style" to begin with.

And if you know who the heck the WarioWare artist is, he's been showing his own distinct style a lot more recently. Even from the beginning, its cast looks like they just took a bunch of random characters that he designed and threw them all together with little to no rhyme or reason. They rarely ever interact with each other, in fact.

...As much as I hate to admit it, if there's anyone who feels out of place in the WarioWare series, it's Wario himself.

Last edited:
And if you know who the heck the WarioWare artist is, he's been showing his own distinct style a lot more recently. Even from the beginning, its cast looks like they just took a bunch of random characters that he designed and threw them all together with little to no rhyme or reason. They rarely ever interact with each other, in fact.

...As much as I hate to admit it, if there's anyone who feels out of place in the WarioWare series, it's Wario himself.
In a series were every main character feels like a reject from a diferent franchise, I hardly see how Wario feels out of place, if anything feels the most IN place out of all of them considering that:
- Jimmy and Mona have their relationschip with Wario mentioned at several point trought the series
-The other characters ( 9-Volt and Orbulon among others) tent to talk about him a lot in the manuals, heck mega party game$ has him forcing the others to write a diary for him.
-Penny interacts with him in DIY on a higher level than any of the other characters trought the series do among each other.
Sure there may not be a ton of interaction between the cast but Wario has always been the center of it all, so if anything he feels the most IN place of them all ...

Back