Are most Ashley fans really WarioWare fans?

To be honest, stylistically, almost no two Wario games look alike anyway.

Do the characters in Wario Land, Wario Master of Disguise, Wario World and Wario's Woods feel like they should exist in the same universe?

416px-Magon.jpg

464px-Cannoli.PNG

Captain_Syrup.png

287px-Princess_Shokora_Artwork_-_Wario_Land_4.png

Meidou.jpg

Heck, the NES and SNES versions of Wario's Woods itself don't feel like they're supposed to be in the same universe...

WWShisha.png
WWAkuman.PNG

vs

Sarissa.gif
KatsiniWoods.gif

WarioWare has its own style, just like every other Wario game and sub series. Nothing odd about that. You might as well 'complain' about Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga's cast not feeling 'Mario' like;

391px-Fawful_Artwork_-_Superstar_Saga.png

Is that what it's supposed to feel like? Now that you put it that way...
If we are putting it that way, what do you think these franchises that they're "rejected from" would be?

Jimmy = Rhythm Heaven reject? He shows it the most.
Mona = Some anime or dating sim type of game?
Dribble & Spitz = Some "x-treme" racing game?
9-Volt & 18-Volt = A Captain N-style adventure where they journey through various (100% accurate) games together?
Kung Fu = A kung fu adventure of sorts?
Dr. Crygor = Mech-building/battling game?
Orbulon = Space shooter game?

No idea about the others.

...Wow, I guess Game & Wario really does reflect that on some of them.

What I think is that Ashley has helped to make more people WarioWare fans. They are the fans of Touhou/other loli stuff, who wouldn't play WarioWare otherwise. This doesn't mean every Ashley fan is like that, but she's very popular because of the guys who like cute little girls (who can still perfectly be full WarioWare fans, but it's not often the case).

What I think is that Ashley has helped to make more people WarioWare fans. They are the fans of Touhou/other loli stuff, who wouldn't play WarioWare otherwise. This doesn't mean every Ashley fan is like that, but she's very popular because of the guys who like cute little girls (who can still perfectly be full WarioWare fans, but it's not often the case).

I see your point, but...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who acts like this. The few Ashley fans I've seen either seem to be general WarioWare fans, Super Smash Bros fans or... well, just gamers without any real tie to series like Touhou.

If you need a more precise example... well, the SMW ROM hacking scene has a lot of Touhou obsessives in it (for reasons no one can't manages to fathom). But despite the obvious ties between Ashley and the Mario universe, she's never present in any of those games. If she was really a character liked by Touhou fans (or fans of other such works), wouldn't you expect to maybe see her referenced in say, Scarlet Devil Mario, Touhou Mario or the Variety of Chance? Or maybe one of raocow's projects, like ASMT?

But it's an interesting idea. Perhaps more research is required.

But how many of those people actually try to know more about WarioWare as a result?

And I swear, her song is always emphasized in a way to prevent one from giving a damn about anything else in the series. Some people I've noticed don't seem to have any idea where the Gamer stage in Smash Wii U comes from either.

God, I'm sounding like that one guy in that other place whenever F-Zero is brought up around him.

The ones who just happen to feature other WarioWare characters in their fan art and fan fiction? I don't think many Ashley fans only turn out to be fans of her as a character...

I just ran into this topic, and with my powers of dead topic revival, I say:

Yes to all 3 questions...

And I agree, some fans of Ashley (and other characters too) aren't really fans of Wario.
Some fans of WarioWare are mostly fan of the game due to some subtile similarities with Rhythm Heaven.

I'm personally a Wario fan, I like the Wario universe.

Seeing thís again really makes me cringe, when thinking of my pro-Ashley posts from the past, because they do not hold up at all. At the very least they stand as prove of me not being a blind trollish Ashley hater, when looking at my full forum history, but thats about all they are worth nowadays.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 607
Man, looking back on my posts this thread makes me cringe too. Maybe I did exaggerate the whole thing. But then again, it has been a while since the last WarioWare title.

Oh man looking at some of these old replies, I wonder how people feel about this question nowadays.
You know, you might have a point.

But ultimately, I'd even say we were lucky in getting the new Wario stage in Smash Wii U as Gamer instead of this.

Real talk then...All I know is Ashley fans can be Warioware fans, it's just they like Ashley more. Nothing else! Besides, how could you know about Ashley without knowing about Warioware?

Back