Coronavirus epidemic: your viewpoint?

Monxiasyshrema77

I didn't choose the sludge life
Haven't made a tread in quite a while, shame that its about a rather grim topic...

For the uninformed, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new disease that's been spreading around the world recently, its a bit like the flu and SARS, there's currently no treatment or vaccines for COVID-19 if you get infected. Its basically SARS all over again, hell they both originate from China. My schools and some events (possibly even in the later months) are being halted until the disease is controlled, and hopefully stopped.

Its been freaking me out, and im honestly vary scared, but I do think that things will turn out ok in the end (even if it takes a while).

Gosh... I finally make a comeback to the forums and this is my first post for the new decade? This??

Anyway... I wanted to know what you guys think. Do you think that everything will turn out alright? Or do you see a more... grim faith of everyone?

My view is that things will eventually turn out right, but that they'll get worse before they get better, especially in places which haven't done enough to halt its spread or get everyone tested. I suspect most of Europe could end up like Italy at this point, as could the US.

I also worry it's going to be really bad when it hits less developed countries in Africa and South America. They're currently in the middle of summer right now so the effects are likely lessened, but come winter it could be a pandemic that makes Italy's situation look mild by comparison.

While the Coronavirus certainly won't be like a new Black Death, I'm wondering how much longer and worse it will become. In my region the number of patients grows each day, and schools are closing, but I don't think that will help much.
Here in Europe, and especially Italy, it is obvious that we weren't prepared for such an event, even more so when you look at, for example, South Korea. That's why I think it's good that Trump decided to temporally enforce special restrictions on travelers from Europe to protect the US.

The Coronavirus will probably stay around for quite some time to come, though even for experts it will be hard to say for how long exactly. Currently, in China, where the outbreak has begun, it appears that the disease has had its time, but in Italy there is no sign of it receding, or even slowing down, as of yet.

The key is how each country manages it. China eventually went to war on the virus, quarantined entire cities under lockdown and banned all travel to keep it under control.

But most countries aren't gonna do that, at least not til they're forced to.

So it'll likely get worse for a while, until we either see better attempts at containing it, or more countries doing full on lockdowns like China and (now) Italy.

I am noticing more then a few parallels between this, and the "spanish flu" epidemic, that happens almost exactly a century ago.

Spanish flu.jpg

Yeah, though fortunately a fair few less people have died this time around. Improved healthcare and hygiene helped that.

Hah, didn't notice that!

Still, he made the right move there. Apparently quite a few animals have been infected by COVID-19, especially at zoos.

Don't know why this happened, but it's almost like there's no pandemic here anymore overnight. Everyone forgot about it suddenly and everything is getting opened up a lot faster than planned. Kinda weird.

Where's that then?

Definitely seems accurate to how things are going in the UK, which probably won't work out too well with some people's stupidity.

Capital of Ireland. Huge group of people having some sort of "corona" party. I swear they do this on purpose just to annoy people. Regardless, it might not spread the virus since this country has been lucky enough.

Don't know why this happened, but it's almost like there's no pandemic here anymore overnight. Everyone forgot about it suddenly and everything is getting opened up a lot faster than planned. Kinda weird.

Where's that then?

Definitely seems accurate to how things are going in the UK, which probably won't work out too well with some people's stupidity.

Yeah, same thing here. I think it's good the Gov't has opened up pubs, bars, restaurants etc. again, but at the same time, knowing people, I fear there will be a return of the Virus quite soon. So far, luckily, everything seems to go the good way.

It hasn't really bothered me at all, I rarely go any place! Also, many people are calling it a lockdown, but I do believe the more accurate term would be a "Shelter in home" or a "Shelter in place"! But I do hope COVID-19 gets under control soon, because this does affect lots of other people!

Didn't know you guys felt this way ;-; I don't think it's humanity's fault, we know what's right or wrong, it's just that some people get so stir crazy from being inside all the time, we're not used to it. But that's just my take.

Back