Could the merge between EAD and SPD mean big things for Wario?

warelander

Some random guy online
I brought it up in another thread before, but it really does make me wonder...

Around the time we heard about the merge we got greeted with Ashley in Super Mario Maker, suprising on it's own, but now we also got a Ashley 3DS theme, an webcomic posted on the official site and quite a few badges in that 3DS app that even remembered that Ware had other characters then Ashley.

Of course these are all small things and a lot of them are centered around Halloween, but seing Nintendo promote anything from the Wario series this heavily is something we haven't seen since...well, ever.

With the studio that brought us both the Land and the Ware series' in the first place being one with EAD now, could the Wario franchise be heading into a much brighter future?

Last edited:
Perhaps, it'd be nice. Though so far the stuff we've been getting recently is relatively minor and feels a bit phoned in. Even with the merge it could still mean Wario is something that is not high on the priority scale. Still, I'm hoping that isn't the case. I guess it's still too soon to really tell.

Instead of paying attention to older characters (like Captain Syrup) they choose the characters with most popularity and exposure instead of building up the good but obscure ones. We're going to see more Ashley, folks. And likely Wario Land is still going to be left in the dust.

Hopefully they become smart and focus on WL

Perhaps, it'd be nice. Though so far the stuff we've been getting recently is relatively minor and feels a bit phoned in. Even with the merge it could still mean Wario is something that is not high on the priority scale. Still, I'm hoping that isn't the case. I guess it's still too soon to really tell.

True, althought the stuff we are getting now is still heads above shoulders over what we had in previous years, which is sad, but at least it's already an improvement.

It's also important to note that a lot of manpower was lost when R&D1 turned into SPD1, which is likely why we haven't had stuff like Wario Land or 2D Metroid from them since then, with the merge that wouldn't be an issue anymore.

It helped that Shake It actually did do pretty well, despite recieving no marketing and being released in the same year as Brawl or Mario Kart Wii, instead of completely going under, so I could see a new Wario Land being a decently high priority, but it's too early to tell.

Last edited:
the merger happened on september 16 and a lot of this stuff was likely in the oven for some time

i do think it'll mean good things for R&D1's action-adventure franchises

True, althought the stuff we are getting now is still heads above shoulders over what we had in previous years, which is sad, but at least it's already an improvement.

It's also important to note that a lot of manpower was lost when R&D1 turned into SPD1, which is likely why we haven't had stuff like Wario Land or 2D Metroid from them since then, with the merge that wouldn't be an issue anymore.

It helped that Shake It actually did do pretty well, despite recieving no marketing and being released in the same year as Brawl or Mario Kart Wii, instead of completely going under, so I could see a new Wario Land being a decently high priority, but it's too early to tell.

Who did WarioWare after the first one?

also while all this stuff is indeed quite minor, i do think it's a good omen for the future of WW. You don't see Nintendo push characters from "dead" franchises like that.

like, captain falcon is still a very popular character, but there's been no offical f-zero merchandise produced since Climax's release. I dunno.

Quote of the Year

Someone who gets it, 2015

Yeah, I do hope that EPD means we'll get those back from them for sure. This really should mean the return of standard Metroid, marking a solid team dedicated to such instead of getting the most random third-party team on board.

Back