Do you feel the Wario Land series doesn't get enough appreciation?

At least 3D World had the decency to make some unique level themes that stood out such as the Circus and Train Areas... Also the Mario Kart secret level.

...Truth be told, Am I the only one who would be interested in seeing Wart making a return?

And the Land cast?
tumblr_oc4b1cszBw1to7vopo1_1280.jpg

(A cool image reblogged in the wl-treasure-trove page!)

I'm a fanatic for the Land series (yes, all of the Wario Lands and Super Mario Land 1 and 2). I love all of the characters and the unique settings for the games. I really wish it'd get the appreciation deserves because this series is a true gem.
Every game in this series is outlandish, wacky, bizarre, surreal, creative, and super innovative and I just love it. It's a great polar opposite to the Super Mario games (which is about convention as much as possible) without being a clone of it at all. It has that lasting, classic-factor while having that unorthodox and frankly, loveable and really awesome feel.

i miss wario land ;_;
JEEZUS when did Tatanga get so HUGE?!?! :SEek:

Kind of funny since Tatanga always seemed to be the same size if not smaller than Mario himself.

God, it's pathetic how easy these boss fights were. The only one that COULD be challenging were the three little :happyhoggus:

Last edited:
He got that big in the comics:

Daisytatanga.jpg

And yes, Super Mario Land 2's fights were really easy. To be honest, so were most Mario bosses then (Super Mario Bros 3's were pretty poor, and Super Mario World's make Mario Land 2's look challenging), and even those in the Wario series (Wario Land 1's bosses were an utter joke on the difficulty front).

That's something all Mario games and spinoffs have gotten better at, making bosses that don't die in 30 seconds.

I think it also comes down to Wario himself. Let's face it. He's not thay popular. I've been desperate to look for some Wario t-shirts of any kind to purchase and wear, but there are barely any in existance. See I own a bunch of Nintendo shirts and merchandise of all my beloved franshises but Wario is severely lacking.
The closest thing you'll ever get to that are Mario shirts where he's lumped in with all those other characters.

Like I said previously, Wario's kind of a Mario series character now.

Well he kind of always was. Even during the height of Wario Land and WarioWare he was still appearing in every Mario sports, party, and kart game.

There have been quite a few Wario shirts and tops over the past six years selling on eBay. They always come and go, so you have to keep an eye out regularly! I own four or five different ones. This was the most recent one (which seems to have dried up and sold out, unfortunately)....

61TG736yufL._UX385_.jpg
hoodie_-_wario_m-21053568-frntl.jpg

Wario is very much a Mario character... but if Yoshi is classified to count as his own franchise, even having a few games not even mentioning the Plumber (Yoshi's Story did that at least) as much as Donkey Kong, I think it's understandable why they have their own "franchise" labels in Smash.

Wario not being popular? Wario Land was always actually a top seller believe it or not, even Shake It outsold Game & Wario from what a Smashboards user told me:
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - 5.19 million
Virtual Boy Wario Land - ???
Wario Land II - 1.48 million
Wario Land 3 - 2.20 million
Wario Land 4 - 2.20 million
Wario Land: Shake It! - 1.06 million

WarioWare Inc.: Mega Microgames! - 1.10 million
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Games! - Under 1 million
WarioWare Twisted! - Under 1 million
WarioWare Touched! - 2.27 million
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - 2.35 million
WarioWare D.I.Y. - Under 1 million
Game & Wario - Under 200k
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

I COULD be wrong of course... But even then, Him not being popular...? I knew Wario when I was about 4 or 6 considering we also bought Mario Kart and Party games with our Gamecube. I didn't even know the character had his own game franchise at all until I rummaged through my brother's games at the time of my youth and our fairly new GameBoy Advanced SPs and found Wario Land 4, which I enjoyed of course.

And of course when my brother told me he was in SM64DS... I was really egar to get him unlocked. And then I was disappoint with the lack of a Shoulder Bash. X_X

Wario is very much a Mario character... but if Yoshi is classified to count as his own franchise, even having a few games not even mentioning the Plumber (Yoshi's Story did that at least) as much as Donkey Kong, I think it's understandable why they have their own "franchise" labels in Smash.

I wouldn't say Wario is a Mario character, the same way Banjo and Conker aren't DK characters, as he shines in his own franchise more than anything.

What I find odd is the sales thing, because I'm fairly sure Sticker Star and Paper Jam didn't do as well as other Mario RPGs yet that didn't stop them from making Color Splash, yet it seems like the reason Wario Land stopped is because apparently the last Wario Games not to belong to WW flopped. Not to mention none of the Yoshi games hold up to the original Yoshi's Island yet they keep on making more and he's considered a fairly popular character (I remember Chance and I were looking for card sleeves but the pack had Luigi, Mario, DK, Bowser, Yoshi and... Toad. Where's Peach? Where's Wario? WHERE'S THEIR GAMES).

I think the sales and quality have sadly nothing to do with a character's popularity, because damn right Wario has proved to have both of those on his side and yet people don't regard him if it isn't as the joke character in mario :c

I say it's Nintendo just being dumb... but that's because they kind of fucked up a lot this generation. :V It's the same thing with Namco - "Because the last game didn't do as well as we expected, just kill the series." Well, Looks like we can kiss Paper Mario, Star Fox and Metroid bye-bye.

I wouldn't say Wario is a Mario character, the same way Banjo and Conker aren't DK characters, as he shines in his own franchise more than anything.
Banjo and Conker appeared in one DK game and never again. Wario is a regular character in various Mario games. Also Wario often dresses like Mario and has a name that sounds like Mario. He will never be able to escape his Mario roots. Mario is in his blood.

There have been quite a few Wario shirts and tops over the past six years selling on eBay. They always come and go, so you have to keep an eye out regularly! I own four or five different ones. This was the most recent one (which seems to have dried up and sold out, unfortunately)....

61TG736yufL._UX385_.jpg
hoodie_-_wario_m-21053568-frntl.jpg
Kind of interesting that that logo is from Master of Disguise. Has it ever been used for anything else?

Banjo and Conker appeared in one DK game and never again. Wario is a regular character in various Mario games. Also Wario often dresses like Mario and has a name that sounds like Mario. He will never be able to escape his Mario roots. Mario is in his blood.
that's the thing tho; if you judge Wario from his franchise (both of them, even!) there's no relation to Mario at all. Wario doesn't depend on Mario to be a good character. It's Nintendo keeping him down and limiting him to that.
He really should be like DK's case; whenever Diddy is included as his partner it feels quite out of place for a Mario game, because he's strictly a DK character, and that alone establishes a different franchise. If it was a Wario series character as a regular partner in the same fashion, Wario's presence would feel more like a cameo with a wink to his accomplishments. We would immediately see him as his own character with his own franchise, not a Mario character that happens to have spinoffs.
...I'm not arguing with you really, I think that what you say just proves that Wario has been reduced to a poopy filler character, and it's certainly not because his franchise flopped, like others Nintendo has been show to exploit by title alone.

...It's weird really and I'm not blaming the fans, but it says a lot that Nintendo has completely sold us this image that Wario is just a bad Mario and we believe it, because they don't advertise his franchise enough, when it's good enough to deserve that both by sales and by virtue of their quality.

Kind of interesting that that logo is from Master of Disguise. Has it ever been used for anything else?

I thought so, too. I've seen that logo used on at least one other piece of merchandise. It looks good, but strange they used it over the rocky Wario Land 4/Shake It! logo.

Five or six years ago I bought a pair of Wario slippers with the Wario Land II logo stitched on the inside.

tumblr_mhe839hJrQ1rrftcdo1_400.jpg

Back