Does nobody know about this Wario Land 2 music?

Katie

Cute Girl :)
So, Wario Land 2 has the Treasure/Picture Panel minigame, that has a nice piece of music, something that would get annoying if it played for to long, but fitting for a quick 30 sec minigame.

Now before you start the minigame, you are given the option to watch a tutorial of how the minigame works.
Did nobody ever do so?

Because during the tutorial, it plays a remix of the minigame theme. But that piece of music doesn't seem to be in any of the OSTs of Wario Land 2 that i found online. It's like nobody knows of this music track.

Did nobody ever try to watch the tutorial?

This is especialy ironic, since this music does actually play at the start of the picture panel minigame after you get one of the endings ("Subgame content will change slightly"), and yet nobody ever aknowledges this piece of music or puts it in the soundtrack.

So what happenef here? Why does nobody aknowledge this piece of music?

Here is a link to it

So, Wario Land 2 has the Treasure/Picture Panel minigame, that has a nice piece of music, something that would get annoying if it played for to long, but fitting for a quick 30 sec minigame.

Now before you start the minigame, you are given the option to watch a tutorial of how the minigame works.
Did nobody ever do so?

Because during the tutorial, it plays a remix of the minigame theme. But that piece of music doesn't seem to be in any of the OSTs of Wario Land 2 that i found online. It's like nobody knows of this music track.

Did nobody ever try to watch the tutorial?

This is especialy ironic, since this music does actually play at the start of the picture panel minigame after you get one of the endings ("Subgame content will change slightly"), and yet nobody ever aknowledges this piece of music or puts it in the soundtrack.

So what happenef here? Why does nobody aknowledge this piece of music?

Here is a link to it

Uhh.... Well, it's not an individual track. It's simply the minigame theme being played through a filter, just like when you pause the game in a level and the music becomes softer and uses less instruments/channels. That's why it doesn't show up in soundtracks (I actually build my own soundtracks, and always include variations like that one).

I used to go to the tutorial just to hear it as a boy. Heh. And I'm sure everyone here is aware of it. You are forced to listen to it when the Picture Panel minigame changes (after you reach an ending for the first time, the Picture Panel minigame notifies you of "changes" with that tutorial variation playing).

Last edited:
Angler's explanation makes sense to me. Listening to it again, it sounds like the notes are all the same, but with different-sounding instruments. I wonder how one would go about ripping this version of the song.

You mean it's actually a separate track, CM30?? Wouldn't that mean there are files for all the level themes in their "paused" state?

Who knows. Some games have sound files for every version of the song. For example, Luigi's Mansion 2 has like, 16 copies of the red coin challenge song, based on what mission it's found in.

The reason I think it's just the minigame theme running through a filter is because the track doesn't stop/restart when you enter the tutorial. You push START to enter the tutorial, then after a brief blackout the minigame theme just continues playing, only softer with less instruments (just as it would if you were pausing the game in a level). Press B to exit the tutorial, and the theme continues playing, only as normal/louder, with all instruments.
If it were a completely separate track, wouldn't the song play from the beginning when you entered/exited the tutorial?

Perhaps one way to find out is to run WL2 through an emulator that lets you remove sound channels. "Visualboy Advance" for instance.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 607
Who knows. Some games have sound files for every version of the song. For example, Luigi's Mansion 2 has like, 16 copies of the red coin challenge song, based on what mission it's found in.
I think music is handled differently in that game.

It IS the same file. I thought it was obvious.
Like it has been said before, it happens to every track when you pause the game. Like with midis, the music in gameboy games is made of several layers.
You might have noticed in some gameboy games that when there are a lot of sound effects playing, sometimes they can cut into the music, causing some notes to be interrupted and skipped. That's cuz the sfx also use those channels and there's a limit on how many channels can be used at a time. (at least that's how I understand it)

It IS the same file. I thought it was obvious.
Like it has been said before, it happens to every track when you pause the game. Like with midis, the music in gameboy games is made of several layers.
You might have noticed in some gameboy games that when there are a lot of sound effects playing, sometimes they can cut into the music, causing some notes to be interrupted and skipped. That's cuz the sfx also use those channels and there's a limit on how many channels can be used at a time. (at least that's how I understand it)
Indeed. It's sometimes interesting how they decided to use the channels, as sometimes, quite essential parts of the music can get prevented.
It happens a lot if you perform an action and pick up coins at the same time, I've noticed. (for example, I think you hear it in Wario Land when you fly through some coins, a lot of the music stops playing)

The Game Boy had four channels of sound, and the fourth channel was always used for percussion instruments, explosions, crashing effects etc.
In Wario Land 1 if you pause/unpause the game just as you're ramming into a wall, pounding the ground etc. channel 4 will be disabled, and the percussion instruments in the music will disappear until another channel 4 sound is made (like walking, flying, shattering blocks etc.)

Metroid II and Wario Land share the same sound engine, so the exact same thing applies. Lay a bomb on the ground with Samus, pause the game when it explodes, and the percussion will disappear in the music until you trigger another sound that uses channel 4 (although only a couple of songs in Metroid II actually use percussion, like the main tunnel theme or the final area).

Last edited:
Indeed. It's sometimes interesting how they decided to use the channels, as sometimes, quite essential parts of the music can get prevented.
It happens a lot if you perform an action and pick up coins at the same time, I've noticed. (for example, I think you hear it in Wario Land when you fly through some coins, a lot of the music stops playing)
A similar thing happens in SMB 3 when you use the Tanooki suit. The percussion continues playing, but the buzzing sound of the melody channel is most of the time interrupted.
Donkey Kong Land 2 for the Gameboy is even worse, sometimes even annoying.

A similar thing happens in SMB 3 when you use the Tanooki suit. The percussion continues playing, but the buzzing sound of the melody channel is most of the time interrupted.
Donkey Kong Land 2 for the Gameboy is even worse, sometimes even annoying.

Haha! Sometimes I actually avoided grabbing bananas in the DK Land games because I was totally absorbed in the magnificent 8-bit music, and didn't want items cutting in.
I was a massive fan of that trilogy as a kid (always will be!)^_^

Wario Land 2 is actually pretty good with that. Only on few occasions do the sfx cut into the music. (The only time I can think of is when you collect the huge Wario coins..... unless I'm forgetting something...)
The the rest of the game it's only sfx cutting into other sfx, which doesn't harm the music. (Like when you collect a lot of coins while swimming quickly. The coin sounds will cut into the swimming sounds.)
The music doesn't use more channels than it needs to so the sfx can use the rest. Some of the songs sound like they really only use 2 channels.
Some songs, like the first level theme, have no "drums" or other percussion sounds to them at all.

Back