Donkey Kong KoS and JC

The 3rd Wario Brother

Worlds greatest treasure hunter.
Diamond City Insider
Anyone remember DK king of swing and DK jungle climber. Ever since retro studios rvived the DKC franchise i hoped they would bring these back to and i was hoping they would when they announced a 3DS DK game only to be DKCR3D not that it was a bad game because it was great since i loved these gems and always wanted RS to release these on handhelds along side DKC on consoles.

I was/still am a big fan of both DK: King of Swing and its sequel, Jungle Climber. I posted this a couple of months back, explaining my love of both games....

I personally loved King of Swing and Jungle Climber. PAON tried to be faithful to the spirit of DK Country/Land in a time when that series was dead.

They weren't masterpieces or even follow-ups, just quirky spin-offs trying something new. At the very least, they were far more faithful to DK Country than Master of Disguise was to Wario Land. Not in gameplay, but all the classic enemies/K. Rool, Kong family, iconic items and barrel types etc. They're not perfect games, but they're closer to Rare's old DK universe than Retro Studios' stuff is. That's what I miss more than anything. It was like revisiting Rare's old DK universe.

It was cool that KoS had K. Rool in it however it was a pretty mediocre game and would much rather get another game such as DK64 than something like a new KoS. The controls seemed wonky and I didn't much care for having to just wait for DK to rotate himself to climb on another platform. haven't played JC but if it's anything like KoS then I'll have to give it a pass. It's pretty good though that RS has revived the DK series and perhaps we'll see more inventive games in the series just preferably more on the platforming variety or Jungle Beat.

It was cool that KoS had K. Rool in it however it was a pretty mediocre game and would much rather get another game such as DK64 than something like a new KoS. The controls seemed wonky and I didn't much care for having to just wait for DK to rotate himself to climb on another platform. haven't played JC but if it's anything like KoS then I'll have to give it a pass. It's pretty good though that RS has revived the DK series and perhaps we'll see more inventive games in the series just preferably more on the platforming variety or Jungle Beat.

I know what you mean, Metal. Like I said, they aren't perfect games, they just require some patience to enjoy.

If you ever get the chance to try out the sequel, Jungle Climber, you may be pleasantly surprised. It sped up the gameplay, allowed you to attack instantly (without having to charge up), you also play alongside Diddy when you break open DK Barrels and do different team-up abilities, there's loads of traditional items like K-O-N-G letters etc.
Jungle Climber basically took King of Swing and perfected the concept, expanding on it greatly.

I remember being really disappointed by King of Swing as well as Konga back in the day. That period between Rare's departure and Retro bringing the Country games back was rough.

Jungle Beat was surprisingly fun, though. I wouldn't mind some sort of successor to that, as long as they incorporated more recognizable characters this time around - DK always felt kind of slapped on in that game. Looking back on Jungle Beat and replaying Rayman 3 recently made me think that a new platformer that actually relies heavily on a scoring and combo system (Rather than just having it there as a formality like NSMB) would be neat.

Looking back on Jungle Beat and replaying Rayman 3 recently made me think that a new platformer that actually relies heavily on a scoring and combo system (Rather than just having it there as a formality like NSMB) would be neat.

With NSMB is that it's been way overplayed by this point there's like a NSMB for each installment of systems now since the DS, having a scoring system like Jungle Beat. Rayman 3 would make it more so that you're not just having to go in a linear path. Likewise with how the WL series had a different goal of collecting treasure. Platformers that give you initiative to either collect riches or be able to get a higher score would give it more replay value definitely.

Seems as such it isn't happening anymore as of now at least not with Mario, we still have some very cool platformers that mix elements of older games such as Gunvolt with its MMZ playstyle.

With NSMB is that it's been way overplayed by this point there's like a NSMB for each installment of systems now since the DS, having a scoring system like Jungle Beat. Rayman 3 would make it more so that you're not just having to go in a linear path. Likewise with how the WL series had a different goal of collecting treasure. Platformers that give you initiative to either collect riches or be able to get a higher score would give it more replay value definitely.

Seems as such it isn't happening anymore as of now at least not with Mario, we still have some very cool platformers that mix elements of older games such as Gunvolt with its MMZ playstyle.
Maybe when people stop buying NSMB games there will be more diverse platformers on the market.

@The 3rd Wario Brother

That's I'm hoping for but people just buying things in the masses it won't make platformers grow as they once did with things like Banjo. Well we'll just wait and see for now NSMB styled games just make money so there's no reason for Nintendo to change up their formula knowing people would buy it, reminds me of certain other games that are similar and stick to one style primarily.

I'd like to see another SMW-styled game but I also hope they don't milk that formula too.
Nintendo thinks the fans speak with their wallets not voices.
A lot of people will buy it because Many would like that, then they would do it again and again. Like NSMB. People will get sick of it but that won't stop till they don't sell. After all Nintendo is a company.

Nintendo thinks the fans speak with their wallets not voices.
A lot of people will buy it because Many would like that, then they would do it again and again. Like NSMB. People will get sick of it but that won't stop till they don't sell. After all Nintendo is a company.
I know, I just find it weird since it's not like Super Mario World sold poorly to not warrant another game like it.

@The 3rd Wario Brother

It felt that way since the 90s was a time when 3D graphics first played out and it was very innovative for it's time much like Turok , Perfect Dark, and Duke Nukem 3D. Wonder why people shove Miyamoto out there with the whole Mario debacle, in actuality he is right about it. Mario doesn't really need a personality he's basically a mascot, his weakness is his strength. If anything we definitely would need more Wario or Metroid games out there and not just this weird new Metroid game coming out.

@The 3rd Wario Brother

It felt that way since the 90s was a time when 3D graphics first played out and it was very innovative for it's time much like Turok , Perfect Dark, and Duke Nukem 3D. Wonder why people shove Miyamoto out there with the whole Mario debacle, in actuality he is right about it. Mario doesn't really need a personality he's basically a mascot, his weakness is his strength. If anything we definitely would need more Wario or Metroid games out there and not just this weird new Metroid game coming out.
Your right that mario is nothing more than a mascot but i was talking about how the world mario is in stoped developing, Of course mario has no character and needs no story (atleast not platformers and spin-offs) But aside from power ups lately the seriew has been playing the nostalgia card over and over again. I mean what ever happened to Goombario or or bean bean kingdom, ya just don't get new stuff any more. Also i totally agree that they need to use there IPs more.

Back