Fandom Berserk Buttons for the Wario series?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
For those who don't use TV Tropes much, a fandom beserk button is something that people get wrong/confused about a franchise that annoys the hell out of the fandom for whatever reason, like assuming Link is called Zelda in the Legend of Zelda series or calling Red from the Pokemon series 'Ash' after the anime adaptation.

Kind of like this:

http://loldwell.com/?comic=return-of-the-nagging-of-the-nerds

Or:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gannon-banned

So what kind of stuff/misconceptions about the Wario series do you think would annoy fans in general? I guess to some degree the whole Waluigi vs Captain Syrup thing would count, but any others?

Sometimes on DeviantArt when someone draws a picture with characters from different franchises, people ask things like ¨who´s Mona¨ or ¨who is that guy with the blue wig¨ which kinda annoys me.

People acting as if Ware was to blame for Wario's Smash portrayel is a huge one for me, scratch that, everything about Smash Wario is a easy way to push my buttons.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
tumblr_inline_mpy05ynXN21rl5dg1.png
When people call Wario 'Fat Mario' or 'Evil Mario'

I heard 'Fat Mario' from a Sony PS user once and Evil Mario was from a YouTube comment 4 years ago. It sort of got me like "Wait, his name is Wario you ****, learn at least before posting", I would get angry a lot back then, but now I'm as clam as Luigi.

Until you mock a certain character, then I'll be mad.

Two things:

1) When people assume his portrayal in Smash is an accurate representation. I know it's not necessarily the fault of the player if they haven't played a Wario game, but it's disheartening to see that Wario is perceived to be nothing more than a gross-out character.

2) When people assume Wario Land is nothing more than a knockoff of the Mario series. I think that argument can be made for the first and Virtual Boy entries (though I consider them more a parody than a knockoff), but we all know that with Land 2 our guy really came into his own. It's offensive when this is not acknowledged, especially as I can't think of many games to this day quite like Wario's.

Last edited:
Wehrio Banned:

○ Claiming that Wario is a gross character (because of his presentation on Smash);
○ Calling Wario as "Yellow/Evil Mario";
○ Claiming that Wario's first appeareance was in WarioWare;
○ "Wario Ware > Wario Land" or "Wario Land > Wario Ware";
○ Saying that the Wario Land series are just a knockoff of the Mario series;
○ Ashley > all characters;

... And so more.

The thing is there is a difference between a character who happens to have some gross traits, alongside other personality traits and a character who is primarily gross, Smash Wario is the latter and feels like a mockery, made by someone who hates Wario, the fact that Smash puts him being a FatFartFuck™ over strenght and greed (which ARE his actual most important character traits) should be all the indication you need for that and the fact that this atrocity is shaping some people's impressions of the character is sincerely depressing.

Last edited:

I was talking about how people view Wario after being the farty bouffon of the Smash series because of his moves and nowadays everyone don't even respect him for those reasons.
In Wario Land (especially on Wario Land 4 or Wario World instructions book), we see Wario has bad habits and he's loud but it's mininal, even rare on the gameplay that we even forget that part exist.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was more making the point that he always has been a gross character. It's just that Smash fails to properly represent his more defining characteristics, instead allowing that to take the spotlight. It certainly is a shame that it's caused some people to see him that way.

Back