Favourite Soundtrack per platform

Which of these names do you recognise? (just some names I'd surely recognise)

• Total voters
Hi, it's me again!

I've had this idea for a while now, but never made it, and thought somebody would've beat me to it by now. But apparently not.
I'm interested, though: what's your favourite soundtrack per platform? Obviously, you'll probably only be able to list those for platforms you know quite a few soundtracks on.
Keep in mind there are many soundtracks I don't know very well, but if I see any soundtracks on somebody's list I haven't fully listened to yet, I hope to check them out!

This would be my own list at the moment:

Nintendo Entertainment System: Super Mario Bros., Koji Kondo. With only the most basic of tools at his disposal, Kondo succeeded in creating a soundtrack that wouldn't get repetitive and would stay fun even after 30 years!!
Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Donkey Kong Country 2, David Wise. This soundtrack is totally genius. Such a masterpiece, with many different themes, and for all, the atmosphere was set flawlessly. Stunning stuff.
Gameboy: Super Mario Land, Hirokazu Tanaka. So simple at its core, yet so incredibly well executed. These tunes are timeless.
Atari ST: Lotus III: The Ultimate Challenge, Patrick Phelan. I love the ST's soundchip, and Phelan made the most out of it for this soundtrack, I think. All themes are awesome.
Playstation: Rayman, Rémi Gazel. A very impressive soundtrack. That's what it is.
Gameboy Color: Wario Land 3, Kozue Ishikawa. With very basic building stones, Kozue Ishikawa put very much thought into every one of her tunes. And as I learn more about music, I keep getting astonished by what went into these pieces.
Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64, Koji Kondo. Koji Kondo did it again. With some remixes, and many entirely new ideas, he composed another wonderful experience.
PC: SimCity 3000, Jerry Martin et al. This soundtrack features both new-age and jazz music, and both styles were captured perfectly, to my ears. Every single theme is unique, and it'd be hardly possible to choose a favourite, as every single one is a masterpiece and a great work of art.
Gameboy Advance: Mario Kart Super Circuit, Kenichi Nishimaki et al. Unfortunately these themes had to be compressed quite a bit to get onto the GBA, but when ripped they still sound great. The samples are very nice, the melodies, base lines, drums et cetera are super cool, and the whole thing simply fits very well together.
GameCube: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Kenta Nagata et al. A very well-crafted soundtrack, with a lovely atmosphere.
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo. This soundtrack is grand. It's definitely worthy of the grand game. Very beautiful.
Wii U: Yoshi's Woolly World, Tomoya Tomita, Misaki Asada. The soundtrack to Yoshi's Island, composed by Koji Kondo, is one of my favourite soundtracks of all time. This soundtrack beat it. It has quite a high number of themes, and they're all amazing. Some cute, some happy, some scary, some awesome; all very, very well-made. Great job.

It was nice writing that, but I'm also interested in reading other lists! Don't worry, they don't need to be as detailed as this one. :P

I'm terrible when it comes to composers and who did what and for what game or series but there have been plenty of games which have had impact on me when I was growing up.

NES : Castlevania(Kinuyo Yamashita) This composer also worked on other games including MegamanX3 and such, being the first game I've ever played and owned the soundtrack really got me especially when wicked child came up so good.

SNES: DKC series(Grant Kirkhope) I'm sure this guy is probably the composer I'm most fond of as I owned a lot of Rare games and its something that is very dear to me especially with how quirky it sounds.

N64 : DK64, Banjo-Kazooie & Tooie, Conker these four series all came around in Rare's golden years really I have fond memories just hearing Teradactyland being played over and over in Tooie just messing with everything with the T-Rex transformation it was really enjoyable.

For both gameboy and then gameboy color I'd have to just side with Wario Land 2 and 3. Not only did they have enjoyable soundtracks especially on a game system that's soundchip was a bit choppy these two were my very first Wario games as a child. Must have played them for so long it's been over a decade now how time flies.

Gameboy Advance : Fire Emblem Sacred Stones(Yoshihiko Kitamura, Saki Haruyama, Yoshito Hirano) Although my very first experience with FE has been due to Melee this would have been my very first FE game and the music has left a huge impact on me. Remember not wanting any of my units to die since they all felt like you shared a connection with them. I'd always end up restarting a chapter or so which made the game longer than it was at least at the time. Music is very refreshing and for a GBA game it really sounded crisp.

Game Cube : TTYD, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, these 3 games have had some exquisite soundtracks. They sound very distinct from their other games in the franchise. Still hope that one day we do get another Mario RPG akin to TTYD at least in certain aspects.

Wii and for that matter 3DS : Xenoblade. The music and full experience felt so much different than other Nintendo games. The music really sounded like a Tales of game which I think these two are related or maybe that's xenosaga keep forgetting but it did sounded amazing like you're in a huge world.

Reactions: 607
@Metal: thanks for the list, some good stuff! I've heard a lot about Xenoblade but never listened to the soundtrack(s) in it's entirety, I'll do that some time!
I don't really know much about Fire Emblem, but I might check that soundtrack out too. I'm always interested in hearing what people can do with the GBA's sound, as at times it was limiting.
The DKC series was scored by David Wise and Eveline Fischer, Grant Kirkhope did Banjo d;)
The Thousand-Year Door! I completely forgot about that soundtrack while creating this thread! Yeah, that soundtrack is definitely very good too.

@Metal: thanks for the list, some good stuff! I've heard a lot about Xenoblade but never listened to the soundtrack(s) in it's entirety, I'll do that some time!
I don't really know much about Fire Emblem, but I might check that soundtrack out too. I'm always interested in hearing what people can do with the GBA's sound, as at times it was limiting.
The DKC series was scored by David Wise and Eveline Fischer, Grant Kirkhope did Banjo d;)
The Thousand-Year Door! I completely forgot about that soundtrack while creating this thread! Yeah, that soundtrack is definitely very good too.

There are some other soundtracks and composers I forgot to mention one of my favorites of course being Daisuke Ishiwatari who has created a bunch of soundtracks for 2D games most notably Guilty Gear. The Metal Slug series also has other great pair of essential metal style music like Guilty Gear another one you should take a listen too while you're at it with Xenoblade. Michiru Yamane who created the soundtrack for Castlevania SOTN is another great one, sadly It takes me a while to remember some of these names. Definitely the DKC series had a ton of great people working on it not only how the game played but the music itself. Rareware really thrived during that era in their life.

Reactions: 607
There are so many awesome soundtracks, and you can assume that if a game is good, the soundtrack will also be great. (Well most of the time)
Here's a small list of my favourite soundtracks per platform that I've played:

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3. The game is really nice (though hard) and pushed the limits of the NES system. You can hear this in the music too.

SNES: Donkey Kong Country 2. DKC 1 had a good OST, but I think the soundtrack of DKC 2 to be even better. The game is a bit darker than 1 and 3 and you can clearly hear that, but there are some upbeat songs too.

Nintendo 64: I haven't played much of this system's games, but I can tell you that the soundtrack of Super Mario 64 is simply outstanding.

Game Cube: Luigi's Mansion. The creepy nature of the game is nicely reflected in the music, but there are also some unexpectedly catch tunes.

Wii: New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Like NSMB ds, but even better. Wario Land: Shake it! comes a close second.

Game Boy: Donkey Kong Land 3. The SNES version was good, but to be honest I like the Game Boy rendering of these songs more because the 8-bit sound makes them more raw-sounding.

Gameboy Color: Shantae. This game used every bit of the Gameboy Color's potential and the result was a nice-looking game of exceptionally quality. And so does the music. Also Wario Land 2 and 3.

Gameboy Advance: Wario Land 4. Just like Shantae, this game has a very high level of graphical quality, and the music is really fitting. It gives you that Wario feeling but is also quite relaxing at times.

Nintendo DS: Kirby Squeak Squad. Many good reappearences of music from earlier Kirby games as well as some surprising new ones.

Nintendo 3DS: Shovel Knight. This game's OST is largely composed by Jake ¨Virt¨ Kaufman, who also did the music for Shantae. And it shows that he still knows how to make some solid 8-bit music.

NES: Kirby's Adventure. Not sure who exactly scored this game, but it has some really nice music for an eight bit NES game. Mega Man 2, the two Zelda games and Castlevania are also close contenders here.

Game Boy: Wario Land 2 and 3 would be standouts here (though Pokemon had some catchy music too). But come on, the ending themes in Wario Land 2 and 3 were basically unmatched.

Virtual Boy: Virtual Boy Wario Land. What else?

SNES: Donkey Kong Country 2. David Wise and co did great with all three DKC games, but the second one just has the best soundtrack of the lot. Perhaps one of the best in video game history to be honest...

Nintendo 64: Oh god, some good contenders here. Mario 64 had some good music, though I'll be honest and say it was limited. Zelda Ocarina of Time sounded phenomenal, as did Majora's Mask. And Rare just blew everyone else out of the water with Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Honestly, probably a tie between Majora's Mask and Banjo-Kazooie in my books.

Game Boy Advance: Wario Land 4 without a doubt. Heck, it even had clear song lyrics!

Gamecube: I'd say the Wind Waker here. I mean, there's a lot of competition, but the boss themes here are absolutely incredible, and the island themes aren't half bad too.

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy vs Super Smash Bros Brawl in my opinion. Might just choose Smash Bros because of how much more awesome music it has.

3DS: For me, it comes down to Mario & Luigi Dream Team vs Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. Honestly though? I'm going with the former. Say what you like about the game and its tutorials, but the dreamy, somewhat mystical feeling the soundtrack brings is astounding.

Wii U: ... Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze I'd say. Mario Kart 8's music was good, but I personally didn't care for it that much. Just not a huge fan of jazz, sorry.

Nintendo Switch: Oh come on, really? I've only played Breath of the Wild so far. Yeah it's got some good music, but I'm not gonna go ahead and say it's the best sounding game on the console months after said console's launch.

Back