Wonder what will be coming next. Yellow fever in Washington DC? Syphilis in Seattle? Leprosy in New York? Nothing of this seems too unlikely these days. Oh wait, on that NY thing, they already have a massive measles problem there. Thanks to these ultrareligious antivaxxers. :wargrr: Yeah, things like these are why I don't hold religion in very high regard anymore. Sometimes, when I read about those filth-ridden places like what seems to be the case of California as described in that article, the myriad of diseases that seem to be returning because of people dogmatically rejecting science, and the poverty even in the developed world, I sometimes start to think that we're slowly slipping back into the Middle Ages. But let's hope our technology, trust in science and hope for a better future prevent us from doing that.

To be fair, most Christians arent anti vaccine or anti science. Christians have been at the forefront of much of the scientific revolution, especially when it comes to medical science.

The ones who actually oppose things like medicine are on the fringe mostly.

I want to have a religion, but won't rush anything. I've considered myself Christian for most of my life now, but have left it behind due to some of the awful stuff in the bible (en mi opinion).
TWO CAN PLAY AT THE SPANISH GAME, @It's Pizza Time !

I want to have a religion, but won't rush anything. I've considered myself Christian for most of my life now, but have left it behind due to some of the awful stuff in the bible (en mi opinion).
TWO CAN PLAY AT THE SPANISH GAME, @It's Pizza Time !
Interesante. I was Catholic when my dad was still alive, although we didn't go to church much, but now I'm just full Christian. You're right, there are some questionable things in there (like about women participating in church and homosexuality), but I believe that that was just things written by the person of that book, and doesn't reflect what God sees. God loves everyone just the way they are! ¡Así es! I just write in Spanish because I'm half Salvadoran and learning languages is fun.

To be fair, most Christians arent anti vaccine or anti science. Christians have been at the forefront of much of the scientific revolution, especially when it comes to medical science.

The ones who actually oppose things like medicine are on the fringe mostly.

I know that most religious people aren't anti-science or anti-vaccine, and that not all such people are like this for a religious reason, but like many other atheists, I'm still a fierce critic of religion because of the negative effects it often has on society as well as individuals, religious or not.

I know that most religious people aren't anti-science or anti-vaccine, and that not all such people are like this for a religious reason, but like many other atheists, I'm still a fierce critic of religion because of the negative effects it often has on society as well as individuals, religious or not.

Just about any religion, ideology or world view has had some negative impact on the world through the people that pushed it. The atheist govts that are responsible for the deaths of millions isnt reason to believe that atheism leads to mass death.

Religions are interesting in how they drive action and thought. As the Catholic Church showed in the Middle Ages, unchecked religious power can be very dangerous.

Religions are interesting in how they drive action and thought. As the Catholic Church showed in the Middle Ages, unchecked religious power can be very dangerous.

I think people in power is what can be dangerous. While Christianity promotes peace, telling its adherents how to live but not commanding them to force others to abide by the same rules, those in power, no matter what religion or ideology, will often take any steps needed to keep their power.

That's less to do with religion itself and more that there are people willing to abuse religion's reach for their own purposes. It can happen with any sort of ideology or popular thought.

Wait what?

Is this the 21st century?

Either way, that's messed up.

On another note, Brexit drags on, with Boris Johnson and co basically shutting down parliament until sometime near the deadline, and huge protests, court battles, etc being caused as a result:

This is just more and more of a disaster every time I hear about it.

Back