How difficult should a Wario Land game be?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
As in, how hard should it be to either complete the main story or get 100% of the collectables?

Because up to this point in time, it's been pretty mixed as far as difficulty levels in the Wario platformers is concerned. Wario Land 1 had a few tricky sections but had mostly simple bosses, Wario Land 2 and 3 had a more complex puzzle setup (yet no actual risk of death) and the later games were mostly fairly trivial to complete outside of unlockable extra difficulty modes.

So what is the right difficulty level for a Wario Land game and why?

Main story: Challenging but not rage-quit inducing for people who usually don't play puzzle platformers. It would take a few hours to breeze through the game, but you'd only have completed it (as in collecting everything) about 30-40%.

100%: This will make me sound like a dweeb, but just anything other than the achievements in Shake. I have a grudge against them. They ruin my experience somewhat, since a lot of the time you have to rage-reset the level (a gaming pet peeve of mine) and a lot of the goals are nearly impossible. If they were to have something like that, maybe it could be like Rayman Origins where you can get awards for reaching a certain amount of coins by the end of the level.
Something like WL4's gem pieces that are needed to get to the boss as well as treaures not required to complete story mode would be awesome. I think those kinds of collectibles promote more full-level exploration than just dumb luck coughshakecough
At least, the gem pieces and key did when I played WL4.

Yeah, I definitely agree that a Wario Land game should be the kind that's easy to finish main story wise, but fairly challenging to complete 100%. This isn't a series that's meant to be like say, Donkey Kong Country where you die every ten minutes trying to get through the main adventure mode, it's meant to be a more laid back one where the real meat of the challenge comes in finding all the secrets, collecting treasure, etc.

I say something similar to Mario, Kirby and Yoshi in a way is good.

Main Adventure should be around medium level, easy to get into and not super difficult overall, but not afraid to challenge you and your skills, especially as the game progresses over time.

100% should be slightly more difficult though, not enough to where it's rage inducing or frustrating (Most of the time anyway), but still more challenging to do so then if you were to not, making it all the more satisfying to complete it.

Last edited:
I feel that Wario Land always had the "Sonic-esque" or "Execution > Difficulty" reward type.
Learning how to play the game better allows you to retain more health, beat the level faster, and rack up a higher score.
Putting time into the game also yields secret passages to speed up gameplay and other things like that.

I think the 100% style of gameplay undermines this a lot in Wario Land: Shake It! as it doesn't really reward with extra pathways or special things,
just makes the game harder and less fun for assuming you try to do it.
But in the other games you're rewarded with extra pathways, upgrades, and other goodies.
Although Wario Land: Shake It! did everything else right (except for the 100% garbage).

So I think if they were to make another Wario game, they SHOULD structure it like Wario Land: Shake It! but try to lean towards rewarding diligent 100% players more. But don't ever bring back the Achievements, awful.

Back