I have a question...

Officially, yes.
The main Mario games, the spinoff Mario series (Mario Party, Mario Kart, the various sports series etc.), The Donkey Kong series, The Yoshi's Island series, Luigi's Mansion and also WarioWare and Wario Land are all taking place inside what's sometimes called the Greater Mario Universe. The only games that feature Mario characters that don't explicitly take place in the Greater Mario Universe are the Mario RPG series; these are usually considered to take place in distinct universes, and the series in which Mario characters do crossovers with characters from other IPs like the Smash series and the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series.

I don't see why they wouldn't all be in the same universe. Things get kind of complicated with Ware referencing other Nintendo games, though. It kind of blurs the lines of reality for this universe, lol. Fortune Street has Wario making references to all of his series - IMO, it's all canon.

Attachments

• tumblr_inline_pfra0mt80j1tkvvqt_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_pfra0mt80j1tkvvqt_540.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 186
  • tumblr_inline_pfra0ucUp41tkvvqt_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_pfra0ucUp41tkvvqt_540.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 187
  • tumblr_inline_pfra15MYew1tkvvqt_540.jpg
    tumblr_inline_pfra15MYew1tkvvqt_540.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 179
I don't see why they wouldn't all be in the same universe. Things get kind of complicated with Ware referencing other Nintendo games, though. It kind of blurs the lines of reality for this universe, lol. Fortune Street has Wario making references to all of his series - IMO, it's all canon.
I guess nintendo exists in the mario universe
(which would mean warioware inc. is using nintendo property illegally)

Things get kind of complicated with Ware referencing other Nintendo games, though. It kind of blurs the lines of reality for this universe, lol.

I've often been thinking about this, and while it's clear that Nintendo exists in-universe (Just ask 9-Volt or look at those billboards in the sports games), that doesn't necessarily mean that all Nintendo-themed microgames in WarioWare are self-referencing; they probably exists in-univese albeit in a different form, and I've always had this headcanon that Mario games can exist in the Mario universe because Mario and Luigi are really famous in-universe, and since Nintendo does exist in-universe too, they sometimes ask Mario and other characters if they consent with Nintendo making a video game adaption of whatever adventure they've lately been on, and that these games are the ones that 9-Volt collects. This is why I have previously (a very, very long time ago) called this the 9-Volt Paradox, after (apparently so at least; for it should be kept in mind that IMO this techincally not the case) one of the most fourth wall-breaking characters in video games ever.

TL;DR: The video games that 9-Volt and sometimes other characters base their microgames upon are not the same as the ones we play; they are games that are released by the in-universe version of Nintendo and are based on canon adventures of characters.

I've often been thinking about this, and while it's clear that Nintendo exists in-universe (Just ask 9-Volt or look at those billboards in the sports games), that doesn't necessarily mean that all Nintendo-themed microgames in WarioWare are self-referencing; they probably exists in-univese albeit in a different form, and I've always had this headcanon that Mario games can exist in the Mario universe because Mario and Luigi are really famous in-universe, and since Nintendo does exist in-universe too, they sometimes ask Mario and other characters if they consent with Nintendo making a video game adaption of whatever adventure they've lately been on, and that these games are the ones that 9-Volt collects.
I've thought about that as well. It can be argued that some of this has been hinted at, since Mario can revert back to his original 8-bit self in Odyssey. Additionally, 9-Volt has been described as really eager to work with Nintendo. 9-Volt even recognizes Wario as a Nintendo property in his (9-Volt's) profile page in the manual for Mega Microgames.

All of this does make me wonder if the rest of the Mario cast are aware of the WW crew.

All of this does make me wonder if the rest of the Mario cast are aware of the WW crew.

Probably so, but I don't think any of them has seen them in person, since Diamond City and its surroundings in which the WarioWare games take place are seemingly really far away from the Mushroom Kingdom.

Back