Is Maple in Mario Golf Captain Syrup?

I.M.Gibbon

Wario Fan Supreme
Shake It revealed that Syrup's first name is Maple. Is the Maple in Mario Golf actually Captain Syrup enjoying a spot of sport with friends? Would stealthily fit in with the subtle Wario Land references in Mario spinoffs around that time, like Sherbet Land in Mario Kart 64...

Maplegolfing.png
600px-WLSSyrup.png

They don't really look like each other really.
Probably just a coincidence more then anything.

Last edited:
A little brash, but TB is right on all those points.

You know, I've always hated how these Mario sport titles have completely unlikely characters playing civilised and gentlemanly sports like golf or tennis. Players just accept it, but I've always seen it as a poor use of characters. Why would rough, tough rogues like Bowser or Wario even participate in sports with those goodie-goodies?

The games would be far more enjoyable if they actively played their roles on the green. Add some actual interaction and scenario. The Caddyshack of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Last edited:
Why would rough, tough rogues like Bowser or Wario even participate in sports with those goodie-goodies?

It's because they're essentially actors. (this was actually confirmed by Miyamoto himself) it's like how Bugs and Daffy are enemies in one short, but are friends in another, It's just pure cartoon continuity at it's finest. Though I do agree that they should have a reason to go, Wario and Waluigi would be easy, they're there mostly for the prize and the attention. Though Bowser would be much harder To come up with reasons for. Maybe it's all clever propaganda Trying To sway people away from the crimes of the koopa kingdom? or maybe it's to improve relations with Peach, So she can marry him? or maybe he just wants an excuse to fight Mario? ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

(Honestly though, the third one is the most likely & realistic answer. considering his character & his overall relationship with Mario.)

Last edited:
It's because they're essentially actors. (this was actually confirmed by miyamoto himself)

Are you talking about how he confirmed that SMB3 is actually a stage play? Man, I absolutely hate it when Mario's very creator confirms the plot to be fake. :mad:
I dare ya, Miyamoto: Ruin one more of my favorite games and i will boycot Mario.

Are you talking about how he confirmed that SMB3 is actually a stage play? Man, I absolutely hate it when Mario's very creator confirms the plot to be fake. :mad:
I dare ya, Miyamoto: Ruin one more of my favorite games and i will boycot Mario.
Actually, I was talking about this interview with Miyamoto from 2012. (Funnily enough, this is the same interview that infamously stated the Koopalings are not Bowser's kids.)
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/24/miyamoto-tezuka-interview.aspx

Excerpt from the interview
Time and again, Bowser kidnaps Peach. Why do Mario and Peach still race go-karts and play tennis with him?

SM: If you're familiar with things like Popeye and some of the old comic characters, you would oftentimes see this cast of characters that takes on different roles depending on the comic or cartoon. They might be businessman in one [cartoon] or a pirate in another. Depending on the story that was being told, they would change roles. So, to a certain degree, I look at our characters in a similar way and feel that they can take on different roles in different games. It's more like they're one big family, or maybe a troupe of actors.

Last edited:
Back