It's official: Smash never wanted to represent Wario Land in the first place.

Wario in WarioWare...hardly has that much characterization to begin with. At least not enough to make anything solid out of. It is a series that doesn't really focus on this element, after all.

Like, point is, Smash Bros is a big crossover. Of course, there are going to be concessions and liberties taken for the sake of the gameplay, but that you act like criticizing the crossover aspect is a completely ridiculous thing to do just confuses me.
I wasn't denying Smash being a big crossover or anything like that. But I'm pretty sure that "crossover" and "history" aren't exactly the same thing.

But if you knew a bit more about Smash, you'll find out that there's a reason we have the trophies that we do.

Sort them "by category":

-Fighter
-Fighter Related (Anything or anyone involved in character moves)
-Final Smash (Wii U only)
-Item
-Assist Trophy
-Poke Ball
-Enemy (Smash Run and Smash Tour)
-Stage (any major parts of stages or background characters)
-Series Related
-Other

They're all in-game elements. Only the last two categories are random shit that couldn't work into the gameplay of Smash. The reason you overlook this is because you're always sorting them "by series".

Notice how the descriptions of all of them (save for the ones in the last two categories) talk more about how they work in Smash. They're not all that special; They're still no different from, say, Metroid Prime scans and SPM Catch Cards.

Again, smash's anciliatory has ton of stuff is irrelevant to smash. The release date list in Brawl is completely useless. The VC demos feature games that don't have characters in Smash. The trophies talk about characters and thing that don't appear in Smash Bros, talk about the character's history and changes over the years... etc. This is rare in the punching dudes genre, and it shows that to some extent, Nintendo does view Smash as windows to advertise its wider portfolio and, yeah, "celebrate" its history.

Like, in a crossover, people are going to judge the quality of the... erm... crossover-ness. People are going to critcize it if they feel the characters were OOC, if one "side" was portrayed as being weaker/evil/etc, if the crossover idea even makes sense... etc. Of course, there are unreasonable things to fixate on, and unreasonable ways to express them, but trying to deflect critcism of smashs crossoverness with "BUT SMASH BROS IS ALL ABOUT THE GAMEPLAY" is not very true, nor is it convincing.

Rusty's real deal baseball or whatever the fuck it was called got a trophy. THAT game gets a trophy. THAT fucking game. Wario Land doesn't.
See how that might bug some WL fans?

Rusty's real deal baseball or whatever the fuck it was called got a trophy. THAT game gets a trophy. THAT fucking game. Wario Land doesn't.
See how that might bug some WL fans?

Make way for the best smash trophy dawg.

BlackShadowTrophyWiiU.png

The trophies talk about characters and thing that don't appear in Smash Bros, talk about the character's history and changes over the years... etc.
At least Melee's trophies leaned more towards that. But many of them still talk about how they work in Smash, particularly the item ones.

Don't prioritize things that aren't meant to be prioritized. That's what I'm getting at.

I'm not here to contest anyone's viewpoints, I'm here to make friends who share a common interest.

I was quite disappointed when I read that Sakurai got Wario's approval from Goro Abe, who only joined R&D1 as late as Wario Land 4, and acted as key figure of the WarioWare series - and nothing else Wario-related. No disrespect intended, though. I fully respect the man and his work with WarioWare.

I just wish a veteran R&D1 member like Takahiro Harada was called upon to oversee Wario's design in Smash. Harada is the sole reason Shake Dimension exists (he was the one who requested making a Wario Land sequel). Harada stated he wanted to emphasise the macho treasure hunter of yesteryear more than the dirty, farting madman we see in Smash Bros. today (and no, he makes no mention of Japan's old toilet humour promotional materials, only the games themselves that his former studio made)

That's what makes it so confusing... Shake Dimension came out right after Smash Bros Brawl, and yet, the game got no promotional content or references the way Yoshi Woolie World and other upcoming titles did throughout the Smash series.

Well considering they keep putting these things in and produce large amount of new pose/assets/writing for those things, clearly Nintendo perceive they add some value to the game. Smash Bros makes a big show of being a crossover, moreso than any other fighting game franchise. King of Fighter, for example, is a crossover of SNK but it doesn't have ton of random collectibles that tell you about characters and objects that appear in SNK games, even those that don't appear in KOF, a releese list of every SNK and Neo Geo games... etc.

Like, point is, Smash Bros is a big crossover. Of course, there are going to be concessions and liberties taken for the sake of the gameplay, but that you act like criticizing the crossover aspect is a completely ridiculous thing to do just confuses me.

I'm curious where you got that from. Yokoi in his capacity as a producer did overseee games, but from the interviews I read, it seems he mainly concerned himself with minor things like "keep it simple", "don't give Samus a 2nd set of right handed sprites in Metroid nES because we don't have enough memory" and "why does the player characterin Gumshoe look like me".

It was years ago, and I'd really have to dig deep to find it (if it's even still around). I remember one of them mentioned how Yokoi used to give the studio pep talks every Monday, and brainstorm new ideas when nobody else was coming up with stuff. I wish I'd copied them to a word document, drat the luck.
I love the history of Nintendo R&D1/Gunpei Yokoi. It runs very deep.

Last edited:
Sorry about my long-winded posts, folks. This is the first forum I've ever joined in fifteen years of using the internet. No lie, or your money back.

Last edited:
How about two Wario's? Like Dr.Mario and Mario, but one will be his current self and the "clone" Wario will be all about Wario Land, almost all new attacks. Side b will be a long range shoulder bash or something, good for getting back on the stage too.

That would actually not be a bad idea though whether or not they would want to do such a thing seems up in air. The whole clone and alternate skin thing seems a bit inconsistent.

At least Melee's trophies leaned more towards that. But many of them still talk about how they work in Smash, particularly the item ones.
Just an example, here's what the Piranha Plant trophy in Smash 4 says:

These guys aren't so much carnivorous as Mario...nivorous. Ahem. There are lots of varieties, like Frost, Wild Ptooie, Ghost, Prickly, Dino, Bone, Elasto-Piranhas, Stalking, Naval... A helpful mnemonic is "Fireballs with Ground Pounds defeat baddies, even super nasties."

If it was an enemy in Smash Run (which it isn't), it would instead talk about how it attacks in that mode and give advice on how to kill it.

Removing the character's trademark move is just stupid. Maybe we should just replace Mario's fireball moves with generic punches, right? HE PUNCHED A LOT IN SM64! Imscared: 10/10 GENIUS, MIYAMOTO CREATIVITY RIGHT THERE

Removing the character's trademark move is just stupid. Maybe we should just replace Mario's fireball moves with generic punches, right? HE PUNCHED A LOT IN SM64! Imscared: 10/10 GENIUS, MIYAMOTO CREATIVITY RIGHT THERE

Strange how Mario never even used fireballs in Mario 64. I've never really thought about it until now....

Back