Level Progression in Wario Land

warelander

Some random guy online
We all know that Wario Land is not at all afraid to change things up between games, but has anyone ever noticed how that even applies to something as simple as how you progress between stages?

In Land 1 you had a rather typical world map and some secret exits, however some of these exits will cause changes on the map, which will ofte effect certain levels.

Virtual Boy Wario Land has every level end with an elevator that you need to find keys for, it's very straight forward, though you do have the option to go back to earlier levels by using the previous elevators again.

Land 2 brings back the idea of secret exits, however this time said exits will lead to completely new stories, it's essentially a ''choose your own adventure'' book made into a videogame.

Land 3 is essentially a Metroidvania, split into levels, were the treasures are pretty much like items in those games, which in many cases will grant you access to new areas or open up new levels altogether.

Land 4 gives you access to all the main worlds right after a short tutorial one, there you have to play the levels in order and also need the jewel pieces and Keyzer in order to progress, however you can change between worlds as you wish and can tackle them in any order.

The worlds in Shake It are all linear, but because you have to buy maps from Syrup's shop you can technically play the worlds in any order, you are just very unlikely to do so, because of how steep the prices are.

Obviously other plattformers have made changes in that regard for at least a few games, there are usually some approaches that can be consiered iconic within those series', like the Act structure in Sonic or the choose your boss order and weapon weakness chain formula in Mega Man, Wario really doesn't have anything like that, some approaches may be more well remembered then others, but there really isn't one that could be considered a standard for Wario Land.

This can be take two ways, on one hand it is undeniably remarkable how each Land game has this much of a distinct identity that even something as mundane as level pregression can be different every time.
On the other hand you can also see it as another example of WL not really having many consistent elements and because of that not really having that much of a consistend image as a series, I appreciate it, but looking at the series at large, some could see even something as small as this as part of a bigger problem.

So yeah, any thoughts?

I think that the fact that each game has different styles and gameplay makes them more likable.

I'd like to think so too, however the lack of consistency between titles doesn't mix well with many players.

I'm always reading from people who say they adored one title but disliked another. For instance, some say WL4 is utter garbage or too different in style compared to the previous games, while others can't stand the puzzle-convoluted WL2 and WL3, and much prefer Wario Land: SML3 and VB Wario Land.

Last edited:
Level design wise i prefer WL3 since it IMHO is the best design that they've done but the one with the most potential is VBWL, I think this did the best job of making the world feel interconnected and i loved having to look for keys since Wario is all about exploration so even if you think you can get by on a shitty ending and play it like mario then guess again you gotta play the way it was intended, EXPLORE BITCH, EXPLORE! Also the elevator parts of VBWL are super charming to me, the beavers, map, etc. Its all good and i wish they would've brought it back. WL4 I wanna like but it is kinda dissapointing progression wise because aside from figuring out to start by going right it doesn't affect your play beyond that because there IS an optimal way to go about it and if you do it any differently nothing happens other than what would normally happen so its a false sense of freedom really. WLSML3 is par for the course. WLII i see the appeal of but its not for me (Still love ya WLII). The Shake Dimension is par for the course but it makes you buy the continent but i only go to shops for heart vessels and potions at the end plus money is plentiful so it doesn't change it for me its just an extra step i gotta go through so i don't like this one.

You bring up a good point about Land 4, indeed, while there is an "ideal" order in terms of level difficulty, it ultimately really doesn't affect your progress at all, unlike something like Mega Man, with the special weapons and boss weaknesses or level changes in the X series, by comparison Land 4 is very bare in it's approach.

I do think that not being restricted to a single Passage is a plus, however it's really not any more open then Land 3, which had tons of optional treasure that allowed you to stray away from the "main" objective at hand, ON TOP of the larger Metroidvania style and it's constantly evolving world.

This actually goes very well with what Angler said, because while I find Land 4 to be a step back from 3 because of these things, I have seen plenty others who disliked 3, because they found it too complicated and liked 4 better as a result of that.

Last edited:
On a different note, I would prefer the Wario Land to keep away from a linear approach to keep it distinct from Mario and I feel like it just fits the style of games with the whole exploration aspect.

Yes, Wario Land has major differences in gameplay and art syle with each game. This fits Wario's treasure hunter image. He travels a lot and visits many different places, far away from the well-known Mushroom Kingdom.

Good observations. I wrote a little about it here and went in depth on the implications of this design on game difficultly/engagement in the
"Designing for Freedom Within Linearity" chapter in my book. As you say, each game has a different take on freer forms of level progression and organisation. I would say that along with Wario's personality and his transformations, the freer level progression is one of the series staples. The Wario Land games were pretty forward thinking in this regard.

Personally, I prefer Wario Land and Wario Land 2's progression models. I think Wario Land 3 went a bit overboard and each level become bloated as they needed to incorporate the hub and spoke design, with each spoke leading to a different key-chest challenge. Wario Land 4's progression design is much more straightforward. Given that the developers only had a year or so to put the game together, I suspect that the passage-based progression was born out of necessity. With Wario Land 4, the developers also streamlined some of the excesses of the prior game, so there's that too.

Back