Mario Cast Voice Actors discussion thingy

Mario123311

Super Plumber Enthusiast
So a few days ago I was remembering how some of the characters have went through several voices, not just promotional material but even in the games. Would you believe me if you were somebody from my time and I told you Charles Martinet didn't voice Wario or Luigi in the first Mario Party? ((He simply voiced only Mario from what I looked into.)) It kinda surprised me when I found out.

This thread is to talk about who your favorite voice was for a specific character or how you the character's actor sounded better at a certain point: For instance, I dunno why but I think Mario sounded just right in the N64/GCN era, I don't mind his new voice but if you listen to the clips from Sunshine/64 to Galaxy you'll notice a fairly subtle difference.

Feel free to discuss I guess.

Luigi sounded really different in Mario Kart 64 as well, if I remember correctly.

I prefer early Martinet Mario as well (he sounds a little raspier and higher since around Galaxy) along with N64-era Toad (He sounds grating now), but like the Luigi voice that was finally settled on around Mansion/early Gamecube days. It took them a while to settle on a good voice for Bowser too; he just had random sounds used in the N64 era and his Sunshine voice was a joke, but around Galaxy he got that badass voice we have today.

Is Wario Land 4 the first Wario game where Charles Martinet voice-acted? Also Mario & Waluigi's voices never changed, excluding commercials, tv shows and streaming radio shows.

Last edited:
So a few days ago I was remembering how some of the characters have went through several voices, not just promotional material but even in the games. Would you believe me if you were somebody from my time and I told you Charles Martinet didn't voice Wario or Luigi in the first Mario Party? ((He simply voiced only Mario from what I looked into.)) It kinda surprised me when I found out.

This thread is to talk about who your favorite voice was for a specific character or how you the character's actor sounded better at a certain point: For instance, I dunno why but I think Mario sounded just right in the N64/GCN era, I don't mind his new voice but if you listen to the clips from Sunshine/64 to Galaxy you'll notice a fairly subtle difference.

Feel free to discuss I guess.

Captain Lou Albano will always be my ideal Mario, and not simply because I'm a fan of his career. He lent that everyman quality which suited what Mario was originally sold as; a down-to-earth plumber with noble values. To me, Charles Martinet's Mario sounds more like a Mickey Mouse-inspired hero archetype, with a less believable personality or no genuine character. The high-pitched "wahoo!" and "here we go!" thing never sold the character to me.

Regarding Wario, I've always prefered the earlier, maniacal cackling Wario of Charles Martinet, which spanned Mario Kart 64 and Wario World. I really dislike the toned-down "Wa-ha-ha" you hear today (which started with WarioWare Smooth Moves).
I might be alone on this, but I've always adored the original voice of Wario (before Martinet's time), as heard in his original series of commercials. I always wanted an animated feature or adventure game with that voice. Wish I knew the voice actor....

Last edited:
While I usually tend to hear Mertinet Mario the most, I still occasionally hear Lou Albano or Walker Boone from time to time. They did a pretty good job as well, IMO - Probably would have worked wonderfully if Walker returned for some sort of Sonic Generations escue Mario game... Poor Lou is sadly in a better place though, now unfortunately which is a shame... u^u

I also probably may have to say Leslie Swan should really voice Peach more, I think her preformance in SPM felt just right. I also like Jen Taylor as it feels like she sounds like Samantha Kelly but with more Genuine Enthusiasm put into the role, I dunno - I just think Taylor did better than Kelly IMO.

I would have loved to hear that Wario voice from the commercials in one of the games though. VBWL would have been perfect considering it's atmosphere... And the commercial for it kinda helps too. =P

While I usually tend to hear Mertinet Mario the most, I still occasionally hear Lou Albano or Walker Boone from time to time. They did a pretty good job as well, IMO - Probably would have worked wonderfully if Walker returned for some sort of Sonic Generations escue Mario game... Poor Lou is sadly in a better place though, now unfortunately which is a shame... u^u

I also probably may have to say Leslie Swan should really voice Peach more, I think her preformance in SPM felt just right. I also like Jen Taylor as it feels like she sounds like Samantha Kelly but with more Genuine Enthusiasm put into the role, I dunno - I just think Taylor did better than Kelly IMO.

I would have loved to hear that Wario voice from the commercials in one of the games though. VBWL would have been perfect considering it's atmosphere... And the commercial for it kinda helps too. =P

Absolutely. I've always thought that VB Wario Land would have been ideal for that voice, given the time it was released, the sinister atmosphere and great commercial.
"Wait till they get a load of meeee! Heh-ha-HA-ha-ha-ha-hahhhh!"

The Virtual Boy was fully capable of good voice samples too, being a 32-bit system. Galactic Pinball is my second favourite VB game, and was also made by Nintendo R&D1 (Wario's studio). In that game they added lots of clear, quirky little voice samples throughout (like the title screen, where you're greeted with the words "Welcome to Space Zone! Let's go.") It's a shame R&D1 didn't do the same with VBWL.

Absolutely. I've always thought that VB Wario Land would have been ideal for that voice, given the time it was released, the sinister atmosphere and great commercial.
"Wait till they get a load of meeee! Heh-ha-HA-ha-ha-ha-hahhhh!"

The Virtual Boy was fully capable of good voice samples too, being a 32-bit system. Galactic Pinball is my second favourite VB game, and was also made by Nintendo R&D1 (Wario's studio). In that game they added lots of clear, quirky little voice samples throughout (like the title screen, where you're greeted with the words "Welcome to Space Zone! Let's go.") It's a shame R&D1 didn't do the same with VBWL.
I've heard that sentiment a few times and I wonder if it would've ever been possible since Wario was always meant to be more of a goofy character in Japan. Though perhaps some localization magic could've been in order..but perhaps it'd be too drastic.

My favorite voice for Luigi was the Mario Party 1,2 and 3 voice. I loved his voice in those games, not to say the new Weegie's voice is bad, I just wuv the old one a bit more. >:3

lol, I don't even know who used to voice Luigi in those, or is it still Charles Martine just with an older Luigi voice? I'm too lazy to look it up myself. Or maybe I will~ who knows!

My favorite voice for Luigi was the Mario Party 1,2 and 3 voice. I loved his voice in those games, not to say the new Weegie's voice is bad, I just wuv the old one a bit more. >:3

lol, I don't even know who used to voice Luigi in those, or is it still Charles Martine just with an older Luigi voice? I'm too lazy to look it up myself. Or maybe I will~ who knows!

It was only in the first 2 Mario Party games and then Martinet started voicing him in Mario Party 3. He also sounds like this in MK64 and Super Circuit.

It was only in the first 2 Mario Party games and then Martinet started voicing him in Mario Party 3. He also sounds like this in MK64 and Super Circuit.

That Luigi was voiced by a french, not sure if the mariowiki got that archived.

Japanese Wario voice actor passed away around January 2015 and yet no sign of life from the american actor.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0645212/

One thing for sure is that he lived World War 2, voiced Dr. Eggman in the mid 90s, Dick Dastardly and Mario in a Mario Paint commercial, and lots of popular animes, like Fist of the North Star.

That Luigi was voiced by a french, not sure if the mariowiki got that archived.

Japanese Wario voice actor passed away around January 2015 and yet no sign of life from the american actor.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0645212/

One thing for sure is that he lived World War 2, voiced Dr. Eggman in the mid 90s, Dick Dastardly and Mario in a Mario Paint commercial, and lots of popular animes, like Fist of the North Star.
Actually voiced Eggman from Sonic Adventure onward.

I've heard that sentiment a few times and I wonder if it would've ever been possible since Wario was always meant to be more of a goofy character in Japan. Though perhaps some localization magic could've been in order..but perhaps it'd be too drastic.

It's a bit hard to say, since Wario was still very much a villain when VB Wario Land came out (the Virtual Boy Mario Land demo even glorified him as the villain, which means the Mario Land saga would have continued with Wario as a title villain).
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UXjkpppGM4s/maxresdefault.jpg

We may never know, as there was a three-year gap between VBWL and Wario Land II, where Wario's villain role disappeared and his gameplay was completely overhauled for what we know as Wario Land today. Perhaps in that time Japan changed its image of Wario, considering the alleged gross promo material for Wario Land II (and the complete lack of it beforehand).

Last edited:
Well I should make a serious response to this.

I want to get out of the way first that I think the Mario cartoons actually had pretty good voice acting in terms of casting and the direction of the voice acting. The voice acting fit the cartoon versions of the characters very well. The writing is another story... However, I felt Lou Albano was better than Walker Boone. I like the way Boone played Mario but I never thought his voice was really a great fit.

Anyway as for the game versions of the characters, a few thoughts...

I always thought Mario's voice fit for the mascot character he is. Martinet hasn't been sounding as great since Mario Galaxy though.

Luigi I liked his voice since gaining more of a personality since Luigi's Mansion.

Peach I honestly liked Jen Taylor as her. People say she sounded too high pitched but I think it fit and it didn't sound unnatural. Leslie Swan is kind of unremarkable aside from her iconic first lines in Mario 64. Samantha Kelly is pretty good sounding a bit more normal but maybe not as sweet sounding.

Toad a lot of people don't really like his raspy voice but I guess I have a soft spot for it since it was his first consistent voice aside from the constantly reused voice clips in the first 3 Mario Parties. I think Jen Taylor's take on it as better than Samantha Kelly's though which sounds even more forced.

Bowser I think has been well voiced lately barring Sunshine. While Kenny James does a great serious sounding Bowser that particularly fit the more serious tone of the Galaxy games, I think Scott Burns also managed to make him fierce but also sound comical which fit well in the more lighthearted Mario outings.

I also think Roy's voice is absolutely awesome.

Back