Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympic Games Confirms Wario and Waluigi Aren't Related?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Saw this on Discord, thought it was worth discussing on the forums too:

WarioWaluigiNotRelated.jpg

It makes me wonder though; how did they get to know each other anyway? Did Nintendo ever say anything about that one?

Seems kinda strange that two random people would both dislike the Mario bros, dress in a similar way and act like partners in crime despite having never met each other before.

But what do you think?

0e3.png

I don't know about you, but I personally love the idea of them being just too unrelated guys who became friends/partners due to sharing a lot in common such as their underlying grudge against the Mario bros, it just works really well IMO, plus it's an interesting contrast to Mario & Luigi's relationship in that whereas the two are actual brothers, Wario and Waluigi's relationship is more akin to 9-Volt and 18-Volt's,.

Though I should note that this is not some sudden new revelation or what not, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympics has also stated them to not be related via Omochao in a quiz game and a recent profile from Nintendo Japanese website not too long ago leans towards them not being brothers (Though it was a bit on the vague side as opposed to anything definite).

Last edited:
i've always liked the idea that Waleegee was some bum that Wario hired to be his tennis partner after seeing potential in him.
hwaaaaaa, I can only win if I have a partner! Fucking out-a-rageous, I could win by myself easy. But whatever, rules are rules. But where could I find someone that meets my high standards... hmm...
*Later; sees a bum walking down the street whilst out on morning constitutional*
...heeeahhh, he looks mildly athletic. and admittedly very shady.
...HEY BUDDY!
(waa?!) YEAH YOU! HOW'D YOU LIKE TO MAKE SOME EASY MONEY!!

and then it turned out that Waluigi also had a penchant for being a general scoundrel. Life's funny that way. And that's the story of how two nice, evil guys found each other.

Never considered Wario and Waluigi to be family; I've always seen them as, as tahutoa puts it, two evil guys who found each other.
That's because I think that's actually a better story than them being related.

Perhaps there are more people in the Mario universe that hate the Mario Bros. and try to make fun of them by dressing in a similar way, but we may never know.

Back