More unused tiles have been found in Wario Land 4!

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Thanks to @shinespeciall's level editor. Basically, he posted screenshots of the tile editor for every single level in the game, showing all the game's foreground and background tiles for their respective levels:

shinespeciall/WarioLand4MultiEditor

And as it turned out, the game had a few more secrets in store there! For example, in Crescent Moon Village's tileset, this door and window can be seen:

unuseddoortiles.png
unusedwindowtile.png

Neither of which are present in the level in any form, nor match the art style of the rest of the stage. This implies Crescent Moon Village's tilesets went through a fair bit of revision in the game's development process, since nothing about these tiles matches anything else in the game.

Here's how it may have looked in game (with final palette):

windowmockup1.png

Either way, the 'design changes' aspect is also supported by another unused tile found in the same stage, this time in its sewer sub maps:

unusedsewergratetile.png

As you can see, it's a sewer grate like those in the stage background. However unlike said versions, this one is placed on top of foreground blocks, indicating that it was at one time meant as a decoration for the foreground tiles instead. Here's how it may have looked in game:

sewermockup.png

Finally, Hotel Horror has a tile for a skull found in the wall:

unusedtileskull.png

This is very similar to the 'fake wall hint' from Palm Tree Paradise, and implies the designers were going to use the same motif there too. Here's a mockup showing how it may have appeared:

skullmockup.png

So yeah, some interesting small discoveries there, don't you think? Wonder what other unused stuff will be found due to this level editor!

Wow, interesting findings! Wario Land 4 has an absolutely huge amount of unused material found. And now there's even more.
It's a bit of a pity that the sewer grate and skull ultimately weren't used, but I'm actually glad they decided to ditch that Crescent Moon Village window, because it doesn't quite fit and IMO the walls look much better bare, without any windows.

Thanks, that looks way better than my attempt at reconstructing it from the editor. And yeah, the grate definitely looks like it would have fit as a foreground piece.

What is it with this game and burying people (possibly alive) in the walls?
That's such a dark implication.
I mean when there's bones somewhere in the ground, they could get there in all kinds of ways.
But when they're in a wall that means they had to be put there while the building was built.
That's so gruesome.

Reactions: 607
What is it with this game and burying people (possibly alive) in the walls?
That's such a dark implication.
I mean when there's bones somewhere in the ground, they could get there in all kinds of ways.
But when they're in a wall that means they had to be put there while the building was built.
That's so gruesome.

Didn't Wario say in the WL4 manual that no-one ever left the Pyramid alive? Well, that could explain something. I mean, there are skeletons in the walls of the Sapphire Passage.

Didn't Wario say in the WL4 manual that no-one ever left the Pyramid alive? Well, that could explain something. I mean, there are skeletons in the walls of the Sapphire Passage.

Yeah, I definitely remember hearing something like that. And it would fit pretty well with the theme of the Sapphire Passage too.

I would like to add more things for this topic:
@CM30 mentioned ealier that the door and the window in the Crescent Moon Village's tileset are unused, but I think the window will be in blue not orange when rendering.
I also find more thing in the Crescent Moon Village's tileset:
1530908340071.png

these 2 red blocks seems to be breakable, but in fact, we cannot break them. but they are solid so we can use them as decoration.

about breakable block, there are some other things I find:
1. in Wildflower Fields Tileset (underground), there is an unused breakable block:
1530908721825.png

2. sometimes we can find strange red blocks in some tilesets without the fire mark on it, but they still can be breaked in burning wario state:
1530908875825.png

3. in Palm Tree Paradise tileset, I find more interesting thing:
1530909123658.png

the block marked with 2 is an unused breakable block, the most interesting things is that the blocks marked with 1 and 3 share the same event, I mean that, the block marked with 1 is used here:
1530909246142.png

when Wario break it, there will be some effect like grass scattered, and the same thing will happen on the block marked with 3, and it is unused too.

Random question, but was this crying animation of Aerodent actually used anywhere?

It's in the games files, as well as the sprite sheet on the spriters resource, but I don't think it's actually used in the game.
I thought, maybe it's used when you deal the final blow or use an item or something, but nope, it always uses the other "hurt" animation. Has no one else noticed this?

Hmm, I haven't seen it used here either. Definitely seems like it could be unused to me.

(though it looks more like he has a bone stuck in his nose)

Back