My Compositions

"Hello!
It's been a while since my last published MaxYMiser composition. d:) At the end of last school year, I suppose in May, I started work on a new tune. I stopped at a tough spot, though, and when I tried to resume work some days later, I didn't really feel it. Then, I thought I'd have plenty of time in summer to pick it back up, so I didn't feel the need to do it any time soon. ... and I didn't compose all summer. Oops.
In October, I was chatting online with a new friend of mine, Ruth. At some point I told her I wanted to do some composing again soon.
A day or two later, I tried to pick up my old composition again, but once again, I failed to continue it. So I decided to start fresh! I started out on piano, and then put what I made up into MaxYMiser. I worked on it for a day or two, and then I was too busy again. I think I have worked on the bulk of the composition across 4-6 days total. As usual, I did the YM channels first, and added the drum samples later. While working on the drums, I made a mistake and lost a pattern's worth of music. I turned out to have made a back-up a while ago, and part of what I lost was in there. The rest I had to redo, but at that point I had heard the tune so often that I didn't have too much trouble with that, and in the end it only cost 20 minutes or so.
I finished the tune on Sunday the 17th. I still needed to make a drawing for it, though, and I'd have to wait for that, as the Atari is at my parental home. When I got back there, it took me a few days before I had time to actually do the drawing. In the meantime, I did make quite some little adjustments to various things, improving the overall tune. So I guess it's good I had to wait! d;)
Because I started making this tune because of a conversation with Ruth, I wanted to do something with that name. Ruth is a biblical figure, who, if I recall correctly, reaped on the fields of Boaz, under special conditions. In any case, I thought of the name 'Reaping Benefits'. It's a well-known phrase, and it fits. I am reaping the benefits of the study I'm currently doing, for example - the study I met Ruth at.
This also set the theme for the picture. I wanted to draw ears. However, after trying for the third time, I still hadn't come up with anything good. My mother needed me for something and I asked her to have a try... 20 minutes or so later, we had exactly what I wanted. d:D So thanks to her for that! The rest of the picture is fairly simple. I _did_ at first manage to write the title wrong. xD Luckily it's got a simple background, so I could remove the title and try again.
Well, that's it for this description... it's quite long, isn't it? d:p I can't really tell, as for some reason the box to write them in on YouTube is still really small... the upload page hasn't been uploaded in ages anyway. Dark mode doesn't even work here.

Anyway: be the first to answer the following question correctly to earn 7 CP (see http://folk.simpsite.nl/cp): In what book of the Old Testament is the story of Ruth told?"

"Hello!
It's been a while since my last published MaxYMiser composition. d:) At the end of last school year, I suppose in May, I started work on a new tune. I stopped at a tough spot, though, and when I tried to resume work some days later, I didn't really feel it. Then, I thought I'd have plenty of time in summer to pick it back up, so I didn't feel the need to do it any time soon. ... and I didn't compose all summer. Oops.
In October, I was chatting online with a new friend of mine, Ruth. At some point I told her I wanted to do some composing again soon.
A day or two later, I tried to pick up my old composition again, but once again, I failed to continue it. So I decided to start fresh! I started out on piano, and then put what I made up into MaxYMiser. I worked on it for a day or two, and then I was too busy again. I think I have worked on the bulk of the composition across 4-6 days total. As usual, I did the YM channels first, and added the drum samples later. While working on the drums, I made a mistake and lost a pattern's worth of music. I turned out to have made a back-up a while ago, and part of what I lost was in there. The rest I had to redo, but at that point I had heard the tune so often that I didn't have too much trouble with that, and in the end it only cost 20 minutes or so.
I finished the tune on Sunday the 17th. I still needed to make a drawing for it, though, and I'd have to wait for that, as the Atari is at my parental home. When I got back there, it took me a few days before I had time to actually do the drawing. In the meantime, I did make quite some little adjustments to various things, improving the overall tune. So I guess it's good I had to wait! d;)
Because I started making this tune because of a conversation with Ruth, I wanted to do something with that name. Ruth is a biblical figure, who, if I recall correctly, reaped on the fields of Boaz, under special conditions. In any case, I thought of the name 'Reaping Benefits'. It's a well-known phrase, and it fits. I am reaping the benefits of the study I'm currently doing, for example - the study I met Ruth at.
This also set the theme for the picture. I wanted to draw ears. However, after trying for the third time, I still hadn't come up with anything good. My mother needed me for something and I asked her to have a try... 20 minutes or so later, we had exactly what I wanted. d:D So thanks to her for that! The rest of the picture is fairly simple. I _did_ at first manage to write the title wrong. xD Luckily it's got a simple background, so I could remove the title and try again.
Well, that's it for this description... it's quite long, isn't it? d:p I can't really tell, as for some reason the box to write them in on YouTube is still really small... the upload page hasn't been uploaded in ages anyway. Dark mode doesn't even work here.

Anyway: be the first to answer the following question correctly to earn 7 CP (see http://folk.simpsite.nl/cp): In what book of the Old Testament is the story of Ruth told?"

Wow this sounds good! It reminds me of those NES action-adventure RPG's title screen or story music.

Reactions: 607
I forgot posting my previous published piece here. It's not that big of a deal, though; this one is better anyway. :P

"When I was at a certain place again (born_ego's parental home), I wanted to compose another minimalistic theme. I made Additives and Bubbles of Hope and Despair there, too.
This time, I wanted to create a really good piece. One more interesting, but preferably also longer than my previous work, Dancing Bars. I decided to use a direct form of inspiration: the work Concrete Jungle by Jerry Martin. It's one of my favourite musical pieces and a great example of minimal music. I took a lot of ideas from his piece. Don't compare it with mine too much, though: his is obviously a lot better. :P And his was performed by an orchestra, while mine was played back in MuseScore 2.
As said, I took a lot of ideas from that piece, but of course did my own things with them. I got stuck twice, not knowing what to add but not wanting to end the piece yet. The first time born_ego's mother advised I had add another instrument, which I did: the organ. It's a bit of a strange fit, perhaps, but I think it works rather well. I'm glad I also got to use it a second time, near the end. The second time I got stuck I listened to Concrete Jungle yet another time, and heard an interesting device. I asked born_ego's mother about it, and she said how she thought it was made. I did something similar when I made the flute chords, coupled with the bass drum and cymbal.
I'm really happy with how much I was able to experiment harmonically with this piece. When working on chiptunes, it's hard to create harmonies, because you're working with so little channels. Now, though, I had as many tones as I wanted to. One part I really like is when the organ first comes in, and then it repeats three times, each adding a new harmony: first, additonal organ tones, then a flute melody that isn't quite just a transposition of the organ chord progression, and then finally an additional flute note under the other flute note, which doesn't change with every note. It seems confusing like this, but if you're listening to the piece, you'll know what I mean. :P
I also quite like the flute chords at the end. I didn't calculate them or anything, I just played around a bit on a virtual piano, until I found a progression I rather liked, and some variations on it.
I worked on this for three days, I think, and then I didn't have time for some time. I finished it at home, yesterday. I didn't add much new; I made an end to the piece, improved the interlude that occurs twice throughout the piece, and tweaked the panning of each instrument.
I would have liked to upload it then, but I couldn't think of video material to include. I brainstormed at night, and concluded that I would just take a picture of an old building near my house, and make a title to put on top of it (like most of the Barbarossa soundtrack, and my chiptunes). However, when I went out with my iPad to take a picture, it turned out the building had been fully torn down. I knew they were working on getting it down, but I never realised it was actually gone, now, even though I frequently pass it. I ran around to see if it really was gone (it was), and then I decided to record a video of an excavator... doing something. I couldn't do this using my iPad, however, as I surely wouldn't have enough space (and neither iPads nor iPhones support removable storage). So I decided to record using my mobile phone. However, it records very low-quality footage. I hope it's artsy. :P
When I started recording, I checked my watch so I could know when I had enough, but I wasn't listening to the piece while recording this. I decided I wouldn't keep the video stationary the whole time, and change things up sometimes, but I left it up to chance whether these changes would match up with the music well. I think they did! I'm especially glad the tilt to the sky at the end was at the right time.

That's all. I could probably say more, but this is enough. ;)
The CP question of this video (be the first to answer it correctly to earn 6 CP, you can use that to request specific videos or even compositions if you get enough) is as follows: around what time (you don't need to pinpoint the exact second) does the excavator turn its back to the camera and shut off? (You can't really see it shutting off; I could hear it, however. But you can surely see it turning around. ;))

I hope you enjoyed!"
https://youtu.be/vTU9gilI6cI

"Warning: Experimental. ;)

This was long in the making! I first got the concept idea for this track in February 2018, when I went to the haircutter's, and noticed their doorbell was out of tune. As in, the interval was larger than you'd expect it to be. This is exactly what you hear at the beginning of the tune: first, the doorbell as you'd expect it to be, then, as it is at this haircutter's. On the way back, I explored the idea to turn this into a tune, and made up the arpeggio that plays through most of the tune. However, I didn't actually start work on the theme until April, two months later. In April, I made the first few patterns, but then got distracted by other stuff. I finally continued another 3 months later, in July of this year. I finalised the tune at the beginning of August. Then, however, I still needed to make a drawing, and it took some time until I had access to the Atari ST. But I did, yesterday!
And I am very happy with this drawing. ^.^ I used quite some tricks. Note the notes too! It wasn't easy to make them look natural, and for both that and the 'Featuring [...]' text I had to use DEGAS+ functions I had never used before.

Now, about the tune itself... well, I won't explain too much. ;) You know where the idea comes from, and you know Big Ben and Nokia are also featured... now, just listen. ;)

Be the first to answer the following question correctly in the comments to earn 7 CP: What time in the tune is the Big Ben reference at?

PS: Download at bit.ly/MaxYMiser607"

"I'm excited to share this! :D
Oh, in case you couldn't tell: the tune plays twice and then fades out.
I wrote a detailed description about the process behind creating this tune, but it exceeded the allowed amount of characters in a YouTube description. :( So here's a pastebin:
To download this tune: Lux - 607 - Google Drive
It can be played on Atari ST using SND Player, or on Windows using JAM.

Be the first to give the correct answer in the comments to earn 7 CP (CP): how many samples are used in this song?"

I haven't heard everything that you posted yet but this is good shit! I usually go with Famitracker for 8-bit jargon but I like the sound that this Atari ST stuff has, I'd love to give it a try at some point

Reactions: 607
I haven't heard everything that you posted yet but this is good shit! I usually go with Famitracker for 8-bit jargon but I like the sound that this Atari ST stuff has, I'd love to give it a try at some point
Cool, thanks for the reply! I was planning to work a lot on my current tune these holidays, but I haven't spent too much time on it yet. :$ It's a tough one, as I'm having some technical problems and some compositional problems!

"Here's the second tune of my Environments series! :) The tune plays twice, and then fades out.
This was quite a tricky one to make! I wasn't content with the main melody at first, but it managed to grow on me in the context of the larger composition. I had great difficulty with the 'very cool part', though. I made those first two patterns improvising and they turned out great, but I wanted to make two more, and not cut it off short. However, everything I made destroyed the flow. Eventually I decided to keep the second and fourth pattern the same, and only make the third unique. The third is still the weakest of the three, but I think it keeps the flow, now.
While working on this tune I also figured out some technical stuff, and got reminded that there's still some technical stuff I háven't figured out. In the end I thought I didn't need to use it here, anyway.
The cool new instrument at the beginning (it reminds me of a bass guitar) was actually inspired by discussion I had on the atari forum: someone said my samples might be too loud, and I said I always made them 'too' loud on purpose because otherwise you wouldn't hear them above the rest. He replied I could lower the volume of the YM instruments, but I argued that that wouldn't work if I used a Buzzer. So I decided to use a Buzzer. I was going to use it to simply replace the SID at first, but then I thought I'd do something cool with it for the repeat of the cool section. And it turned out really nice. :) At first I only repeated the first two patterns of the cool section, but because the bass thing was so cool I wanted to do more with it, so I extended it to the full four.
The final pattern was one that I'd written before even figuring out how to do the cool part, but I did end up changing it a bit. Most importantly, making the loop nicer, instead of the tune completely ending and starting over. After all, these tunes are meant to be able to be used in a video game.
The water drops were a challenge to do, making them fun and quirky, but also make sense. By the way, they're not at all in tune with the rest of the song.
Finally, I had a full mental description of how I wanted to do the graphic, and it turned out better than I had hoped it too. The drops were a challenge to make, and I think they could be better. They're obviously way too large for actual water drops, but I did that so I could give them more detail, and put more focus to them. Oh, also, for the first time ever (as far as I recall), the first photograph I made was the one I used. :P I didn't even make any other, as this one's perfect.

I couldn't think of a CP question for this video, so I thought of something else: to get 7 CP, post the name of a cave-themed musical piece from an actual video game. It doesn't matter which, as long as nobody else has posted it before. :)"

Back