New Wario series sales thread

The 2022 CESA White Paper (yearly omnibus Japanese sales report) has been published and includes, among many other things, an updated total for GiT as of December 31, 2022.

This is underwhelming. Let's hope Move It has more staying power.

Well, it's an improvement on the last game or three sales wise.

But yeah, I hope the next game does better. I wonder if the gameplay changes hurt its sales? Or maybe the late release date?

I feel it's a mix of so-so word of mouth and coming slightly before Mario Party Superstars, which would overshadow it as the holiday party game.

The 2022 CESA White Paper (yearly omnibus Japanese sales report) has been published and includes, among many other things, an updated total for GiT as of December 31, 2022.

This is underwhelming. Let's hope Move It has more staying power.

Also looking back it's kind of crazy seeing how much WarioWare peaked with Touched and Smooth Moves. A lot's changed since then but still I wonder how well a WarioWare game would've done if it was released at the beginning of the Switch's lifespan like most previous entries.

First bit of data for Move It (for reference, GiT was #1 in its launch week)

Tbh I expect sales to be soft. It barely charted on Japanese store pre-orders and it doesn't seem to be charting at all on regional e-shops or online retaillers. When I checked the Canadian e-shop top sellers, it was wayyy down the list.

I kinda feel worried by the sales for Move It simply because of its launch date. Super Mario Bros Wonder is a huge hit that obliterated the likes of Sonic Superstars in sales. It's going to overshadow pretty much any niche release for the next week or so.

That said, if it's like WarioWare Gold... maybe it'll be a slow and steady game that sells for months on end and eventually hits a respectable sales target. That seems rather likely to me.

For the Oct 30 - Nov 5 period, Move It launched at the #3 spot in Japan with 29.584 units sold.

This is not a great debut. For comparison, WarioWare Gold launched at 35K and Get It Together at ~73k. I don't expect it to have much legs either because in the following weeks, the sequel to Momotaro (casual party game that sold extremely well) will launch and overshadow it as the family game for the holidays.

For the Oct 30 - Nov 5 period, Move It launched at the #3 spot in Japan with 29.584 units sold.

This is not a great debut. For comparison, WarioWare Gold launched at 35K and Get It Together at ~73k. I don't expect it to have much legs either because in the following weeks, the sequel to Momotaro (casual party game that sold extremely well) will launch and overshadow it as the family game for the holidays.

Err what's Momotaro? Is it really that big of a deal in Japan?

Wow, I hope it grows over time. I think there are people like me who will be getting it later on. I mean, WarioWare is the best video games series of all time, after all. I'm sure it will be fine.

Not entirely surprised TBH. It's clear from the first trailers that there was little interest in Move It compared to Gold and GiT and It being released during a packed holiday season probably didn't help matters.

IMO, Nintendo should've probably held back on releasing another WarioWare so soon after GiT. It's not a franchise you can make multiple entries of on the same console. Hopefully, this doesn't mean doom for the series again.

Last edited:
The one mitigating factorI see is that the game looks very budget-conscious (not much content, all the voice clips are recycled from Gold, not that much voice-acting even if the cutscenes are fully voiced again, expensive charles martinet repalced by a complete newbie who I assume they aren't paying as much, etc). I don't think they'll be *happy* with its sales but if doesn't leg out, it probably won't be a huge loss.

Updates:

-The game dropped out of the UK top 10 and no update was provide on its drop
-In Japan the game sold 13.340 in its 2nd week, bringing the total to 42.924. This is not a bad hold.

For its 3rd week in Japan, Move It sold 10.487, bringing its retail sales in the country to a total of 53.411. The launch of Momorato Densetsu World didn't affect it as much as I thought it would but we'll see how it plays out over the following weeks.

For its 3rd week in Japan, Move It sold 10.487, bringing its retail sales in the country to a total of 53.411. The launch of Momorato Densetsu World didn't affect it as much as I thought it would but we'll see how it plays out over the following weeks.

How does this compare to other WarioWare games? Especially late console ones like Twisted, DIY and Gold?

How does this compare to other WarioWare games? Especially late console ones like Twisted, DIY and Gold?
Since I made this thread, a more comprehensive website called nichebarrier.com has started, which includes week-to-week sales figure. These are the ones for DIY, Twisted and Gold

1700779252896.png

1700779272486.png

1700779327939.png

It's worth noting that digital sales have gotten much stronger in Japan since Gold came out.

Seems like it's about on par with DIY without the digital sales, though potentially quite a bit better with them.

Move It confirmed to have great legs as it actually sells better this week at 11,271 , bringing the Japanese retail total to 64,682

Move It confirmed to have great legs as it actually sells better this week at 11,271 , bringing the Japanese retail total to 64,682

Okay that seems promising at least. Maybe there's a chance it'll work out as well as Gold did after all...

Back