Nintendo and Illumination doing a Mario movie (TBA)

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...
So this is a thing
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...reen_with_help_from_the_studio_behind_minions
Apparently Illumination and Nintendo are doing a Mario movie.

Now admittedly I had a feeling that if Nintendo was gonna do movies, it would be with Universal (What with the themed land and all that) so I'm not surprised that Nintendo is doing this with illumination (Which is owned by Universal) and according to the report, Nintendo is gonna be heavily involved with production (Even having Miyamoto as a potential coproducer) so who knows.....we could have something good here if things don't go too out of hand.

Though the fact that illumination Productions of all companies is doing it
Does make me a bit cautious considering their past rep (Which has been a bit...well murky to say the least)

What does anyone think of this news though?

Last edited:
A lot of people have wanted this for a long time but I don't really see the appeal in a Mario movie. Regardless of whoever was behind it, at best I could only think of it being a surprisingly fun and not completely brainless kiddie fare. It could perhaps make Mario more relevant again, which has been going on for a while but this could be an even bigger catalyst than we've seen thus far.

The problem is that they're going to butcher it like what they did to Seuss, can't wait to see Mario being voiced by Bugs Bazinga Bunny or by any of the nobodies worshiped by tumblr.

I like this, they should know there's some risk in video game-based movies: if they suck, they can badly hurt video game sales and company reputation. But if it's done right, it will be awesome.

Please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy please don't make it cringy...

If they keep it timeless... (no pop culture references that are gonna be dated a year later)
If they keep the voices we all know and love... (at least the english-speaking voice actors for the english version).
If they don't make it overly generic...
If they keep the humor in line with the games (no overuse of gross-out humor, no mean-spirited humor, etc.)
If they balance humor and... well, everything else (suspense, drama, heart, wonder, etc.) and don't just make it "funny" and nothing else...
If they don't let any of the writers of Minions or Despicable Me 1-4 anywhere NEAR the script...
If they don't limit the characters to just Mayro, Weegee, Petch, and Bowz but actually have people from all over the canon appear, at least as cameos...
If they make the writing not fucking unbearably immature (i.e. Minions, i.e cringe)...

Then maybe... it could be a good movie.

Damnit, why didn't they ask Disney? You know, the people who made Wreck-it Ralph? The videogame movie that's actually good? The movie which has Bowser in it and whose sequel is gonna have Mario in it?

Or Pixar? Or were they too busy making more Cars sequels and spin-offs?

Oh well.... at least Illumination movies don't have bad visuals and animation.
It just... it needs good writing. Please, don't fuck up the writing. AND DON'T SPOIL THE ENTIRE MOVIE IN THE TRAILER.

On the animation side of things...I wonder how much freedom will Nintendo allow Illumination. I remember seeing in Wreck it Ralph the various real-life video game characters. It looked like the animators were allowed a certain degree of freedom with animating the characters, especially the Street Fighter characters. Bowser, however, looked straight out of an official Nintendo promotional material.
XHK6MyY.png

Makes me wonder just how much freedom will Nintendo allow Illumination since Nintendo is really rigid when it comes to being on-model.

I just hope they make them expressive.
You can be completely on model, but still get some great cartoony expressions out of them. I basically want Superstar Saga the movie. :sgrin:

Ive known about this for a while, but lets be clear, Nintendo DOES NOT want another failure like the "Other" Mario film, so they are probably keeping a close eye on this one so they dont sink this boat too.

P.S. IMA SEE IT ANYWAY SO THEY GET MY MONEY BOTH WAYS

Back