Nintendo Switch Lite Announced

Magma

Oldhead
Diamond City Leader

So here's one of the rumored new versions of the Switch finally announced. Any thoughts? I already have a Switch so I have no need for this but I do like the idea of a stripped down Switch for handheld play only. However, it seems a little too stripped down and for its price seems kind of a bad deal.

Personally, I think a cheap alternative to the switch to allow more people to play is a really good idea. It's $100 cheaper, but you lose TV compatibility and HD rumble, but also gain longer battery life. Most switch games can run in handheld mode too, so you're not losing too much software. (To compare prices, a New 3DS XL at Walmart costs $208, while the Switch Lite costs $200)

Although, I already have a switch as well, so I don't really want it either.

Lovin' the different colors but I still wouldn't by the Lite

Also it bugs me that they call it that because it's lighter but the GB and DS actually had to add a backlight to justify the name even more.

Lovin' the different colors but I still wouldn't by the Lite

Also it bugs me that they call it that because it's lighter but the GB and DS actually had to add a backlight to justify the name even more.

The GBA had backlight only in the second generation of the SP models, but for the DS, backlight was standard from the beginning.

Wow, that was right out of the blue...
Anyways...
While I'm not big on the missing features, this does looks very nice (I particularly love the turquoise color) and I can see this being a good low cost alternative for those who don't want to dump $300 onto the normal Switch and plans on primarily playing it as a handheld.

This will no doubt be a huge success on the market, especially in Japan, where handheld is the name of the game.
Also if the Switch itself isn't the final nail on the 3DS' coffin, this definitely is. Lol

But... with no HD rumble, how are you supposed to find those rumble moons in Super Mario Oddessy, that game that was IN THE TRAILER!?
I didn't even think about that! Maybe the screen will shake instead? Or maybe the switch will rumble, but it won't be HD rumble, just generic rumbling.

Not to mention Odyssey's motion controls will be much harder to pull off now...

Of course, Mario Odyssey's motion controls probably should have been given easier to use non motion fueled replacements too. So in that sense, it's a problem in Odyssey about as much as with this console.

Still, technically none of those things are truly needed to beat Odyssey, so it'll be playable on the Switch Lite none the less. And work well for about 95% of the game.

Speaking of this, I'm slightly worried that the existence of this will cause stuff like HD Rumble to be de-emphasized or even omitted on future games. I'm not exactly sure but it feels like after the 2DS came out fewer games started having 3D. Granted I never really used the 3D on the 3DS but I just hope this doesn't happen with the Switch since the HD Rumble as well as a few others are pretty cool features.

My friend said he is planning on buying one cuz he doesn't have a switch, So yea its perfect for people who don't have a regular switch and its $100 cheaper!

Back