obligatory "What vidcons are you playing????" thread

55315_front.jpg

Call of Duty Finest Hour is a WWII fps released in 2004. Developed concurently with the original COD but delayed to a troubled development cycle, Finest Hour was made by Spark Unlimited, a company founded by the original producers of Medal of Homor and made up of staff that worked on MoH Frontline and Rising Sun. The Medal of Honor heritage can be seen in things like the lengthy over-the-top death animations and enemies droping health canteens when killed.

Finest Hour is a pretty competent WWII FPS that mostly succeeds at matching the cinematic feeling of its bigger brother; arguably the game's take on Stalingrad is more impressive than its PC equivalent and the game has many foward-thinking mechanics like hit confirmation and being able to deply bipod for machine guns. The game also takes some rare risks for WWII FPS in term of characters by having you play as a female russian sniper, and having one missions where you play as a black tank commander

Ultimately though, Finest Hour just doesn't feel as good to play. None of the sensitivty settings are entirely satisfactory; the default one is just a little too fast but the "slow" one, while allowing me to make more s1ck headsh0tz is so slow you're guaranteed to get gunned down before you can complete a full rotation. Levels are dark and dingy, although at least the game runs at 60 FPS. Enemies don,t react convincingly to hits and their drawn-out death animations make it difficult to tell if you're wasting ammo on a dead man or not. Most problematic though, is the dearth of checkpoints, which get really problematic by the time you get to the american campaign.

But yeah, FO is decent fun times though as far as console-exclusive spin-offs of COD, Big Red One is a big improvement. More games should play behind-the-scenes video over the credits btw

7Bc72bX.png

Been a while since I've written about a game that I've played but this game left such a strong impression on me that I just had to write something about it.

This game is really an awful disappointment. It really just feels like a lot of rather interesting ideas that were poorly thought out and executed even worse.

I did like the idea of a more serious story but there was pretty much no story to speak of. The whole idea of "the power of friendship" feels completely tacked on.

Infinite is probably the most laughable excuse for a "character" I've seen in just about anything. Almost no backstory whatsoever and his character consists almost entirely of saying the most cliche, edgy stuff imaginable. It almost feels like it was intentional and that they were making a parody of how Sonic Mary Sues are usually written.

The stages are completely bland and maybe only two stood out to me. And even then, when they were starting to feel interesting those stages abruptly end.

Classic Sonic actually detracts from the game as a whole. He has little to do with the actual story and his stages suffer from horrible physics and awful controls.

I'm echoing what a lot of people have said I know but I kind of wanted to ignore it all and see the game for myself but it really is all true.

It really does not give me much optimism for the non-Classic Sonic side of the series. Sonic Mania was great and I'm sure those guys can continue to build upon that. I've read that a lot of the team that made Unleashed, Colors, and Generations have left Sega which doesn't give much optimism. The level designers consisted of relative newbies but even then it seems like they made an attempt at putting in interesting things in the levels but Sega seems to have intentionally made them dumb down the game so it'd be "dashing around like a maniac".

I'm really not sure what to think now.

I found c&c red alert 2 for 360 for cheap and picked it up.

Was kinda unhappy though, on medium difficulty the cp is way to fast. Like, by the time I get my factory and barracks up the enemy is hitting me with bomber jets.

I think I get that every general in the game has their own tricks they use, and yeah sure with that example I spend my money trying to keep up with AA turrets and fighter jets, but blegh, the computer just acts too fast. I dunno, takes away the fun of it for me.

So far halo wars is a more fun strategy game imo.

I found c&c red alert 2 for 360 for cheap and picked it up.

Was kinda unhappy though, on medium difficulty the cp is way to fast. Like, by the time I get my factory and barracks up the enemy is hitting me with bomber jets.

I think I get that every general in the game has their own tricks they use, and yeah sure with that example I spend my money trying to keep up with AA turrets and fighter jets, but blegh, the computer just acts too fast. I dunno, takes away the fun of it for me.

So far halo wars is a more fun strategy game imo.

>playing a rts on consoles

at least it wasn't 360 supreme commander

>playing a rts on consoles

at least it wasn't 360 supreme commander

I dont even own a pc right now : p I dunno though I feel like that issue could still exist on a pc version of the game.

And yeah? My little brother really liked that game, played it on 360 too. Thought about trying it maybe but always looked like the learning curve was high.

Oh also in red alert 2 the Soviets are clearly the best, cuz can build more than one structure at a time.

Kinda makes me miss playing star craft on n64, where you can just build as many things as you want without the need of a construction yard.

80661_front.jpg

Rogue Warrior is a FPS published by Bethesda and starring and based on the exploits of SEAL Team 6 founder Richard Macinko. You've been sent on an undercover ops to retrieve an informant in North Korea, only for things to become a total goatfuck when it turns out the Norks are conspiring with the Soviets to make the Cold War go hot. This takes the form of a ridiculously linear and easy shootbang with broken stealth mechanics.

By far the biggest part of Rogue's Warrior is Demo Dick himself. Voiced by Mickey Rourke, who I guess really needed the paycheck or something, he is an hilarious protagonist who doesn't go a minute without professing his hatred for commie motherfuckers, telling people to suck on his balls after throwing a grenade or so on. That the game ends with a rap mix of his best lines is icing on the cake

[youtube]

It's also short - really short. My Steam playtime after beating the game showed 100 minutes and a good 15 of that was troubleshooting tech problems as the PC port is quite broken. I could actually refund it under Steam,s refund policy, but I know for a fact I won't as I had so much fun with this and will certainly replay for years to come.

Ive been playing Legend of Dragoon for ps1 lately.

I know it has a pretty big cult following or whatever, and I can see why, its a super neat game, and I like it to so far. (Its also a favorite of both my older brother and younger brother)

My only comlaint about it is the "additions" battle system. It kinda goes the way of paper mario, where you have timed attacks that have you hit the attack button multiple times in order to build uo damage against your opponent.

I love it in paper mario, but the problem with it in LoD is that, unlike PM, theres no rhythm to it. Its all based on when a big box rolls into a small box on screen. So it forces you to memorize the timing of every attack you can do.

And its different with each character too. For example, lavitz is a slower character. And it usually takes him a few seconds before he actually hits your opponent. But rose is very quick and agile, so you have to hit hers at almost the same time you hit the attack button.

Doing this often causes me to miss darts attack, because hes in the middle of the two with his attack, and its somewhat difficult to get the timing for his just after doing so for the other two.

This has also just caused me to just continue using their first basic attack, which only requires one additional attack. Luckily, these additions DO lvl up and increase in power the more you use them, so Ive been able to get away with it so far : p

Reactions: 607
Playing a dirt cheap but fun game called Downwell. It’s a roguelike platformer where you try to get to the bottom of the well without dying and while grabbing as many gems as you can. Check it out if you have a couple bucks to spare and like action games.

Last edited:
Ive been playing this game as much as I can lately-

In the like 7 hours that Ive played it so far, I think its become one of my favorite 360 games. Its like a mix between dynasty warriors and battalion wars. It focuses on capturing and defending bases, but instead of having some super powerful character that you hack and slash through armies with, the focus is instead on simply guiding your unit to victory.

I saw that most people who reviewed it sat that its an okay game, good but not amazing, and I guess Id agree. But I dunno, Im really enjoying it so far. Tye game is both simple enough to not have to spend too much time to figure out, while also complex enough to keep your interest, so for me at least it feels like a strategy game that fits me well.

@Glowsquid you like strategy games, right?

Nemesis is a 1990 shmup on the Game Boy that’s part of the Gradius series. Typical of Game Boy games of its time, it features 5 stages that take around 25 minutes to clear and music largely lifted from the earlier games, although the level and bosses are brand new.

I think it’s pretty cool! The play mechanics are solid as ever and though it’s simple and not particularly ambitious, it’s not creatively bankrupt either: the organic stage is quite different from other uses of that theme in the series and the bosses (beside the first, who’s just a retread of Big Core) look and fight quite unlike anything else before or after. I also think it’s the first game in the series to try to change up the subsequent loops by tweaking enemy spawns (albeilt only lightly) instead of just adding suicide bullets and making everything faster and tougher.

Difficulty-wise, it’s pretty relaxed by Gradius standards: I was able to clear the first loop in one lift and also beat the second on my first creditb efore getting bored. This is mostly thanks to the abundance of power-ups: it never feels like you can’t recover from death, which is something I can’t really say about most other gradius games.

The GB-ified classic tunes are competently arranged and the graphics are very nicely detailled, with the bosses in particular looking good. This does come at a heavy cost however: the game runs at 30 FPS and though you get used to it, it,s pretty disorienting at first and not ideal. ALso the sound for the Laser is horribly annoying but laser is useless anyways

But yeah, Nemesis is a pretty good shmup on its own merits and does the series proud. Recommended.

Back