obligatory "What vidcons are you playing????" thread

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
User Name Style Change
Ive been playing Dark Cloud for ps2. Its been a game Ive been wanting to try for years. I saw it for 3$ at my local game shop (btw someome bought it out just before they shut their doors and reopened it, yay), and picked it up.

The game is super fun. Its a dungeon crawler. The game revolves around going to towns that have been trapped into magic spheres to protect them from destruction, and collecting the town piece by piece and rebuilding them by exploring the dungeons.

I like the idea. Though the game plays in real time, over a turn based system youd see in rouge-like games. The battles can feel clunky at first. It also took me a bit to realize that circle locked onto enemies. But if you stick with it, you get a feel for the battles eventually.

I really enjoy designing the towns however I want, too. And every town has its own theme, your first town is a rural, pioneer town like youd see in tge early american west. The second town is more of a tribal forest town, with homes built in the trees. So it feels fun to finish a town, and seeing what the next one will look like.

The game starts off pretty hard, you really have to learn how to upgrade your weapon to make any progress. Your weapon gains exp and lvls up, and you also collect gems that upgrade it. Once you upgrade your dagger for the first time, youll be able to move down a few floors and find better weapons, which make the game easier.

My biggest complaint about the game is the allies you have. Sometimes the game forces you to play as one of them. And theres one playable character thats very badly designed. His basic attack includes a jump, which causes the attack to take an extra second before actually striking your opponent. Even when you are facing your opponent, he often misses his attack. Hes extremely slow, and dies quickly. I feel like the game comes to a halt when forced to play as him. But outside that the game is fun. I find myself feeling excited about the next time I get a chance to play it :p

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Profile Music

Battle Unit Zeoth is a 1990 GB side-scrolling action game by Jacelo where you play as the titular mech out to destroy self-replicating alien robots or something. It’s an early Gameboi game so there’s nothing ressembling a plot.

The game is split into two type of stages: odd-numbered stages basically are a horizontal shmups with a vertically-scrolling field, albeit you aim in all four cardinal directions and you control Zeoth’s ascend by feathering the A button, like a jetpack. Even-numbered stages are more conventional sidescrollers where you climb up (or down) the level. You have generous allotment of 8 hitpoints (somewhat offset by the extremely short mercy invincibility period) and you can collect power-ups to change your shot type or regain health.

It’s pretty decent: it’s not deep but stages are decently paced and the quick and frequent enemies keep you on your toes. The relative freedom of movement helps to give it an identity.

Definitely the best thing about BUE is the aesthetics: the sprites and backgrounds are all very nice looking and detailled. the bosses in particular look fantastic, being suitabling mean and gritty. The soundtrack, though quite simple, is also decently catchy. Unlike a few other games, it looks great without being riddled with slowdowns or skimping on the framerate

It’s a good thing too because Battle Unit Zeoth is short. The game lasts about 10 minutes (both of the sidescrolling levels last less than a minute each) and while the bosses can be decently challenging, their limited and unchanging attack patterns mean it won’t last too long before you eventually learn them well enough to clear the game on a first life, and if that’s you just don’t say “fuck it” and exploit the fact continuing returns you on the stage you died on with a filled lifebar. The game has no difficulty selection and though pressing select on the credit screen restarts the game with a different weapon, it does not seem the levels or difficulty change in any noticeable way. But while it lasts, Battle Unit Zeoth is pretty cool.

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
User Name Style Change
View attachment 10032

Battle Unit Zeoth is a 1990 GB side-scrolling action game by Jacelo where you play as the titular mech out to destroy self-replicating alien robots or something. It’s an early Gameboi game so there’s nothing ressembling a plot.

The game is split into two type of stages: odd-numbered stages basically are a horizontal shmups with a vertically-scrolling field, albeit you aim in all four cardinal directions and you control Zeoth’s ascend by feathering the A button, like a jetpack. Even-numbered stages are more conventional sidescrollers where you climb up (or down) the level. You have generous allotment of 8 hitpoints (somewhat offset by the extremely short mercy invincibility period) and you can collect power-ups to change your shot type or regain health.

It’s pretty decent: it’s not deep but stages are decently paced and the quick and frequent enemies keep you on your toes. The relative freedom of movement helps to give it an identity.

Definitely the best thing about BUE is the aesthetics: the sprites and backgrounds are all very nice looking and detailled. the bosses in particular look fantastic, being suitabling mean and gritty. The soundtrack, though quite simple, is also decently catchy. Unlike a few other games, it looks great without being riddled with slowdowns or skimping on the framerate

It’s a good thing too because Battle Unit Zeoth is short. The game lasts about 10 minutes (both of the sidescrolling levels last less than a minute each) and while the bosses can be decently challenging, their limited and unchanging attack patterns mean it won’t last too long before you eventually learn them well enough to clear the game on a first life, and if that’s you just don’t say “fuck it” and exploit the fact continuing returns you on the stage you died on with a filled lifebar. The game has no difficulty selection and though pressing select on the credit screen restarts the game with a different weapon, it does not seem the levels or difficulty change in any noticeable way. But while it lasts, Battle Unit Zeoth is pretty cool.

Out of curiosity, how much time do you spend on games like these? I saw that you wrote that it took around ten minutes to beat, do you feel motivated to play through the game more than once? Am wondering about how much someone can get out of games like these in comparision with the amount they spend on them :p

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Profile Music
Out of curiosity, how much time do you spend on games like these? I saw that you wrote that it took around ten minutes to beat, do you feel motivated to play through the game more than once? Am wondering about how much someone can get out of games like these in comparision with the amount they spend on them :p
I played the game in 10-minutes burst at work. I wanna say it took around 1 hour before being able to one-life clear it so I got my $15's worth