Puyo Puyo

That's a shame, I've been trying it out over the past week and it is a neat experience, althought my controller is at war with me when it comes to this game for some reason and playing Puyo with a keyboard is weeeeeeird.

I played the old version long ago though I didn't know too many people who were into Puyo and my interest in the series had lulled a bit so I wasn't very good. I'm probably even worse now since it's been forever since I played human opponents.

I don't consider myself to be all that good either, it amazes me that my win/lose ratio is pretty even, as opposed to me getting curbstomped left and right, that's why I was hesitating to give it any shot for the longest time.

So I got this in the mail earlier in the week.
20160929_020731.jpg
20160929_020845.jpg
These are some very poor images but this is what it's meant to look like.
CmQGLec.jpg

Even though I am totally broke I found it in me to spend a rather unreasonable amount of money on this Ringo gatcha/keychain/charm whatever. I just had to have it. My pictures don't do it justice since for its size it is very well detailed and feels solid and not cheap. It looks just as good as it does in the promo pictures. I'm totally not going to use it as a keychain.

I have that. In fact, I got Arle, Amitie, Ring and Carbuncle ones as Christmas gifts.

The Amitie one I got first. It was a complete surprise, but one I had no comaints about. I actually said it was my favorite Christmas gift, and it was. And I had gotten amiibos and a copy of IDW TMNT vol. 8, so I guess that says something.

Some more translated info about the game:
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/puyo-puyo-chronicle-details-screens-rpg-mode/
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/puyo-puyo-chronicle-details-story-characters-screens/

Aliie is in fact the very first new character Arle meet in this mysterious new world. Their first conversation goes like this:
  • Allie: “Now, Hero! Let’s get intimate!”
  • Arle: “You’re definitely not a normal person!”
Now I really want to see Allie meet Schezo

Also it's very nice to see more reassurence that you'll be able to use more characters then just the four ''A'' girls in RPG mode, I'll be able to form my Arle/Sig/Schezo dream trio after all once I get to play the game 6 years from now!

Just something I wondered, there have been so many differend artstyles over the course of this franchise, so what are everyone's personal preferences here?

I for myself do enjoy the artstyle introduced in 20th Anniversary the best, since it is essentially a refined version of the Fever 2- PP7, with added shading colors that pop even more and a more three dimensional feel.

Outside of that I also like ~n's artstyle, it's very unusual for the series, but I find it refreshing, both with ingame visuals:
20uu8pd.jpg

and official art, as well as character design (you won't ever convince me this is isn't the greatest kid Lagnus design!) :
tumblr_obnsra9I6Y1v39q72o1_500.png

If we take Madou into account as well then I'd certainly count ARS as well:
ChvhjZgVIAAuCJG.jpg

especially with the sprite art:

(Seriously the detail in his mugshot here is friggin' lovely)
izz67d.jpg

PC98 Madou 1-3 are also neat for being a very different:
CoSiKfeUsAEbmt-.jpg

But yeah, those are the ones I like the most, but they are far from the only ones, honorable mentions go to Sun Fever 2/15th Anniversary and Waku Waku Puyo Dungeon.

Just something I wondered, there have been so many differend artstyles over the course of this franchise, so what are everyone's personal preferences here?

I personally enjoy the simplicity of the first Puyo game's cover and manual artwork, complete with like cute chibi pictures of the opponents you faced, from what I spotted on the net.

My most favorite however, is the in-game artwork and animations from SUN, which is also what I think was used for the basis of the Discstation shorts.

images

I really like the way Schezo's hair was drawn in this art style for example.

For the Madou ones, I will agree with Warelander on how nicely drawn the ARS artwork was, though for creepyness factor I also like the different more 'realistic' takes on the well known enemies and NPC characters for the PC98 versions of Madou Monogatari 1-2-3, like actual creepy undead creatures and Schezo with a decapitated head, it's quite disturbing.

Oh yeah and I also liked the Tower of the Magician artwork, a good piece after how bizarrely off the Final Exam artwork was.

Would it be wrong to sort of group together the artwork used in the first 3 Puyo games and all the games released around the same time (Nazo Puyo series etc.)? While not my favorite it's the artstyle I associate most with the classic Madou Puyo series.

Though on that note I always loved how detailed the spritework is.

For my favorite artstyle from an aesthetic standpoint I loved Madou Monogatari ARS and I wish we could've gotten a Puyo game with that artstyle. Just the spritework in the intro is gorgeous in itself.

I am not sure if this is a popular sentiment and it very well may be but while I mostly like the post-Compile Puyo artstyles, I found them to be rather lazy. Just so simple and it makes me feel the artstyle was picked for that reason when being compared to the artstyles used by Compile. More distinct? I would say so but I can't shake that feeling of laziness for the games from Fever 2- Puyo Puyo 7. One of the reasons for this is because on pixiv I've seen a lot of less experienced artists use this artstyle for non-Puyo projects. This feeling of it being an easy to use artstyle similar to Sonic fan-characters cheapens the feeling of the artstyle for me if that makes sense.
I do find the 20th Anniversary artstyle onward to be to my liking and I feel more forgiving towards that one.

A translation for the siory details of the first page of the recent scan (again, by a PuyoNexus member) :
"Blueo", the Village Covered with Snow and Ice
Arle and co. travel in the other world in search for clues to returning to their world. Along the way they visit "Blueo the Blue Village", where they hear people talk about "a dreadful monster which sing a strange song". What will they encounter in "Scurellen Iceberg"?
Arle: No, we shouldn't be feeling dizzy in a place like this...
Ringo: Arle and her troupe, somehow collapsed by the roadside!?
Rider: I happened to meet Mr. Sig in Primp, and when we were talking...

where they hear people talk about "a dreadful monster which sing a strange song".
...Maybe:
Character_Harpy_PuyoPuyoSun.png

Hmmmmmmmmmm-nah, I doubt it, but it would be neat.

In other news all 18 rulesets are also confirmed :
Puyo Puyo
Tsu
Sun
Fever
Mission Puyo
Mini Excavation
Mega Puyo Rush
Foursight
Active
Quartet
Block
Big Bang
Excavation
Spinner
Non-stop Fever
Giant Puyo
Ice Blocks
Skill Battle

Unless there are unlockables beyond the 18 they annonced (which I doubt) Skill Battle is the only new one and Big Bang from Puyo Puyo Tetris replaces Mini Puyo Fever. A fine list of modes overall, but the lack of Pair Battle mode makes me sad.

A first look at the character select screen, which confirms Klug, Raffine, Ocean Prince, Risukuma Yu and Rei:
Cu98lS1VYAEwOBd.jpg:large

24 characters, not counting alts this is the same amount as 20th, gotta wonder who's getting the boot.

We also know that Satan, Draco, Carbuncle and Dongurigaeru (blech) are back and I believe to recognise Ecolo, Lemres, Feli, Schezo and Suketoudara from the sillhouettes, not sure about the rest, thought Rulue and Witch are ones I expect 100% as well.

Haven't been posting; I can't really say much other than "I am very much looking forward to this."

I do like seeing these modes, and the characters, but I'm happy just to have Amitie, even if she was a given. Call me an oddball.

Back