Puyo Puyo

D4aFsy8UcAAFM5I.jpg

They are actually making Sig's Fever 2/15th outfit a alt in Quest and it looks so good in the current style.

Img126206_l.png

Amitie was actually the first one to get that tratment, though that was many months ago, so Sig came as a surprise. Not sure if Raffine is getting something similar, since her outfit never changed much.

Speaking of which, I do wonder if they are going to do PP7 designs as alts as well or the Henshin forms, THAT would be something.

So eSports being localized under the Champions name is pretty much confirmed now.

As someone who's played Puyo for years and isn't into the competetive scene, eSports/Champions is not a exciting title for me, not even close, but the mindset of wanting to hook people with a cheap budget version to get them to play the bigger titles and to retain and grow a western following for the sake of future titles getting localized is uplifting, whether it's going to be successful is something we will have to wait and see.

Yup it's real:

This also hints at a possible stream (maybe a Nintendo Direct?) on May 7th, since that's where it's coming according to the other leak and I don't see them posting the trailer on it's own.

Okay, now that I finally got to see what the conversation with Rulue when you fight her, I want to bring up a few things. I know I posted into the comment section, but i'll post them here.

It seems to me most of the characters don't do or say anything different from what they normally do. Ringo is still afraid of ghosts, Yu and Rei still try to turn people into ghost (i.e. kill them). Sig is obsessed with bugs, and tries to stop Dongeri Gearu from eating bugs. Draco challenged Raffina of the title of Beautiful Heroine.

So... it's kind of weird that Arle says Rulue is "acting strangely" because they didn't automatically fight each other. Because Lagnus is in this, everyone who has played Saturn knows tat Rulue went the ENTIRETY of the game without mentioning Satan once, and even when he is becomes relevant to the plot, Rulue never attempts to fight Arle at all, and both Arle and Lagnus know Rulue becomes disgusted with Satan if he breaks something. There are a lot of times Rulue doesn't bring up Satan and she's shown to be quite a reasonable person (Oshare and Ms. Accord in 15th, and Lidelle and Raffina in 20th, etc. etc.). None of the other characters act any different at all in this scene. Draco is being Draco, Ringo is being Ringo, Yu is being Yu, and Rulue is being Rulue. Rulue's "acting strangely" is due to the fact that this is an RPG and not a puzzle game with only Manzai scenes.

That said, I noticed the Raffina is being *very* polite and not snotty at all. Using Ms. Amitie and the like. The reasons the characters fight is kind of neat and much less contrived (outside of a few like Sig/Dongeri, Ringo/Yu, and the obligatory Arle/Rulue fight). I loved Ringo disciplining Maguro for using his Dazzle Beam and Draco and Raffina's reason for fighting who the best heroine is.

I know I've pointed this out before, but I'll say it again. Rulue seems to be judged by a completely different measuring stick than seemingly every other character even ones with similar traits. Even the in-universe characters seem to be doing it.

Last edited:
There is now a fan translation of Madou Monogatari II for the game gear. Hoo boy I had NO idea what I was in for. Here's Jellipuddi's
explanation of it.

Okay, this is a short game, so minor spoilers are kind of unavoidable. Fair warning.

Apparently, Rulue is physically present in Lyla's Ruins, and she set traps to stop anyone else from getting to Satan. The original version was just Rulue leaving love letters for Satan. This version has her leaving letters for people telling them to GTF away from Satan. Arle never meets Rulue but does overhear her twice:

The first trap is a needle trap that Arle avoids; the second one this THUMBTACKS that Arle steps on. Arle actually looks at the tacks and notes that letters are written on them. The letter spell a note written by Rulue. Yes, GG Rulue actually put a note written by letter on THUMBTACKS. Next up was Rulue getting her dress caught and torn in an arrow trap, and finally a Mission Impossible type exploding letter. Arle later overhears Rulue and Schezo fighting over, get this... Schezo wants her POWER... with the same misunderstanding to Arle. Even though Rulue can't use magic Schezo apparently doesn't know the difference until Rulue Judo Throws him. The last you hear of Rulue is that she falls into a pit on the second to last floor. This pit is apparently VERY deep as Arle drops a pebble down to test the depth and apparently Rulue survived, and thinks someone buried her alive. Finding no way out, she decides to dig her way out of the pit, and thats the last you hear of her. When I first found out about this, I thought that this was just the PC-98 version of Rulue who wasn't a martial artist until ARS; I assumed for a good bit that Minotauros was with her, but after getting into a scrap with Schezo, it turns out she was alone and can fight.

Okay, now about Arle: when Arle is almost out of Schezo's dungeon, Millu shows up offering to drink some tea with Arle, but Arle refuses and thinks the Millu looks tasty with salt. Millu freaks and offers the Great Staff Uranus, but not for free. Millu wants the Rubelcrack (Carbuncle's gem), in exchange. Arle then kicks Millu. When she finds Carbuncle, instead of taking the gem, decided to befriend him. Why did she attack Millu when he offered Arle something? Why did she attack Millu when other monsters offered something to Arle, you don't attack them after to take the offer. The only monster who doesn't follow this rule is Leviathan, and because you had one of his fireflies. Arle just seems to be content with attacking random non-hostile monsters, until she meets Carbuncle. I know there are versions of Madou 1 that have Carbuncle and Satan in them, but both Carbuncle act like they've never even met before, and because Rulue is now a martial artist because ARS, that means Madou A now has a plot hole.

Schezo doesn't get his head cut off in this one, he just non-leathal KO, and he hits on Arle several time thought the dungeon. It's the same fight over and over again, only Schezo has more HP/attack power. Honestly, Camus was much better rival in GG 1; he actually influenced stuff based on how well you did (like being able to get the the key items before you did), and how he reacts to you (if you heal him when he's hurt). In fact, you had a lot of chance to help other characters in the dungeon as well, there is no such thing here. There is just Arle/Schezo/Satan with Rulue backstage.

GG 2 was much less satisfying to play than GG 1 was; all of the puzzles where just "go here, get this key and open these doors to get more keys." In GG 1 you could freeze water to walk on it, create and destroy temporary walls so you can change your direction on icy floors (and the direction actually made sense, instead of being completely at random like in B6, fill a room with water so you can float up to the next floor, get rid of a possessing ghost so you can warp again, cast ice on a wall and then fire so you can wash a wall.

GG 2 is lacking in originality when it comes to design, it all comes down to trial and error, with uninspired lock-and-key puzzles, a teleporter maze, and false wall maze, a "go left or right" where you are permanently closed out of half a dungeon floor (not that you will miss anything important). , one with fog and spinning tiles that is foiled simply by looking at the map and compass, and "slippery floor" maze that has no logical sense where it takes you. The last floor is has no real puzzles in it and just a gauntlet of stronger enemies, one of it is a Medusa that can instantly stone you without any telegraph (she usually just paralyzes you); you know from GG1 at the start Cockatrice does that, and that's a gradual petrification effect. When a random encounter can instant-kill you with an enemy that used to just cause paralysis over a penultimate final boss; you know you have severe balance issues. Every single floor requires to grind two whole levels on top of the two levels you get by exploring just to survive the next boss encounter; this is acceptable in the early levels where you can get more gold and items, but later levels more than wear their welcome out, especially the last at the last level where you just want to finish the game and be done with it.

Another thing I'd like to point out that all but two of the enemies in this game are female; the two exception being Vampire and Dark Dragon (and perhaps Mummy if you don't count the 4koma comics). Satan apparently issued a challenge that whoever got to the end is worthy to be his wife. I'd ALSO like to point out in order to do that you had to find three gems and place them in a Carbuncle shaped dungeon floor to open a warp; seeing that RULUE made it down there, and this dungeon required all kind of teleport warping to get to critical items and spells (and Rulue would need a light source to get through the dungeons).

GG2 as it stands is a uninspired dungeon crawler with nothing interesting that goes out of it's way to have it's characters be mean, petty, and stupid for the sake of "humor", even with a fourth-wall break about an alleged final boss door that's not funny. If I could point one really funny thing; there is a merchant named Pigra that offers to make a magical staff if you pay him 10k; then during the final battle with Satan he sells it to you for ANOTHER 10k (if you don't have 10k on you, don't get the staff). If you do have it you get a full hp/mp fill right when you run out of HP.

Having said all of this; I'm glad I got the opportunity to play it. I don't hate the GG 2, but making Rulue seem petty and stupid with dishonorable Dick Dastardly Stops To Cheat tactics (this alone make me give it a negative opinion of it), Schezo chasing Arle like Wile. E. Coyote chases the Road Runner, and the fact that Arle is mean to everyone that's not Carbuncle makes it a HUGE disappointment. If you are a fan on dungeon crawlers and Madou in general I do recommend playing it, and trust me, you won't need gamefaqs to figure out how to beat it.

Hey guys, anyone who has Super Mario Maker 2, I have spent over 50+ hours the last 4 days making a Mario level based on Madou Monogatari R. Every section is based on each floor of Count's Mansion, and all enemies, bosses, NPCs are all represented here: WTW-929-5XG. Be warned, it's fairly long and difficult for new people.

What are the odds of madou ever getting a new game, realistically speaking? Not talking compile heart's "Sorcery saga". Which is basically just the same thing, but has to Appear to be different for copyright reasons. I really wish sega and compile would collab for a madou 4 or something. I think it would be great.

Puyo Tetris 2 came out a few days ago and it's pretty good. The soundtrack is nice and theyre finally phasing out some of the 20th anniversary remixes. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of new modes but it's nice we're at least finally breaking the 26-character rule!

Reactions: 607
Back