Shantae Thread

Didn't realise it until recently, but the main melody of ¨Dance trough the danger¨

is from the Game Over theme of the original Shantae:

I'm not even sure this was intentional, but they do have similarities.

Speaking of Dance Through the Danger, check this awesome orchestrated version on the title screen:

The hype, it is real.

cannon__jump__by_ruthlesspeasant-da7gycf.png

Last edited:
Interesting series but hmmm.. they should have sexy, strong half-clad male characters too..

Seriously.. MGS and Sailor Moon are the only series I've seen where it goes both ways

Interesting series but hmmm.. they should have sexy, strong half-clad male characters too..

Seriously.. MGS and Sailor Moon are the only series I've seen where it goes both ways

They could....but the girls kinda run the show in Shantae. It just wouldn't seem right, imo. One of the more interesting things about Shantae's world is how female-centric it is.

But who knows, the idea has crossed their minds i'm sure.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
They could....but the girls kinda run the show in Shantae. It just wouldn't seem right, imo. One of the more interesting things about Shantae's world is how female-centric it is.

But who knows, the idea has crossed their minds i'm sure.

Sailor Moon is female-centric too. In the manga the beauty of both the male characters and the female characters are given focus. Both sexes have elaborate styles and attractive detail added to their designs. Shantae only has waifu material, no husbandos.
It doesn't seem right for designers to sexualize one gender (usually only female) and make all the men really unappealing. It just seems irritating and unfair to me. They should not do it at all or they should make designs of both sexes appealing.

Sailor Moon is female-centric too. In the manga the beauty of both the male characters and the female characters are given focus. Both sexes have elaborate styles and attractive detail added to their designs. Shantae only has waifu material, no husbandos.
It doesn't seem right for designers to sexualize one gender (usually only female) and make all the men really unappealing. It just seems irritating and unfair to me. They should not do it at all or they should make designs of both sexes appealing.

Well, in order to do that they would need male characters in the first place. There aren't very many worthy of note, you know.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Well, in order to do that they would need male characters in the first place. There aren't very many worthy of note, you know.

They already have male characters, about 5 I've checked. All of them are old, ugly, or cartoony
Even the minor female characters still look good. :dunno:

You really wanna see this guy in a banana hammock?

View attachment 2110

He could have a redesign into a handsome djinn (like how Shantae is half djinn)
just kidding

Take this for example, similar setting to Shantae's story (Arabian desert place, except Shantae has more Indian elements)
Arabian_Nights_Sabaku_no_Seirei_Ou.jpg

Meh, Shantae has a solid enough gameplay and level design for people to like it regardless. So I respect it. But I still have a pet peeve with the female character designs being obviously for male players to gawk at.

He could have a redesign into a handsome djinn (like how Shantae is half djinn)
just kidding

Take this for example, similar setting to Shantae's story (Arabian desert place, except Shantae has more Indian elements)
Arabian_Nights_Sabaku_no_Seirei_Ou.jpg

Meh, Shantae has a solid enough gameplay and level design for people to like it regardless. So I respect it. But I still have a pet peeve with the female character designs being obviously for male players to gawk at.

I see what you are saying. But that's the design choice they've chosen.

At least, right now. Who's to say we won't see that in the future? The series has a long life ahead of it.

A good ending of a good game.
The credits music is one of the best ending themes I have ever heard (right after Super Mario Land's), and still my favorite Gameboy Color music.

Jake Kaufman, man...the guy is a force of nature. One of the best VG composers working today. His stuff really recalls some of the great video game soundtracks of the '90s, during the golden age. Just another reason Shantae is such a perfect storm of of creativity.

Meloetta Shantae.png

A good ending of a good game.
The credits music is one of the best ending themes I have ever heard (right after Super Mario Land's), and still my favorite Gameboy Color music.

Speaking of the ending, I wonder if we'll see the Genie Realm again in HGH? Sure at the end of the first one Shantae turned it down in favor of staying with her loved ones, but after the comments Mimic and Risky made in Pirate's Curse that's where I would expect Shants' mother to be...

EndingImage.png

I'm not sure, but it has been stated that we will discover more about her mom and dad in following games. I am really curious.
It is said in the Pirate's Curse that after defeating the Pirate Master the genies went to their own place, the Genie Realm.

That makes me wonder: Did they go there themselves, or were they offered a stay by Genies that were already in there?
And is the Genie Realm some kind of heaven for dead genies? The last one seems unlikely. In the 3DS digital manual for the first game is written that, unlike ¨mortal men¨, Genies are in fact immortal.
Risky Boots said in Pirate's Curse that magic never truly can be destroyed.

So many questions unanswered...

I'm not sure I should be posting this for those that haven't played it yet..

***IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED SHANTAE AND THE PIRATE'S CURSE, AVERT YOUR EYES***

It was strongly implied that the Warrior in the Village of Lost Souls was, in fact, Shantae's father...(it was also implied that he is Karnov, of the 1987 platformer of the same name) Everything else about him, such as how he met Shantae's mother, is shrouded in mystery.

Karnov.png

Karnov_game_flyer.png

Also there are the genies you rescue in the first Shantae, who later show up in the Genie Realm to converse with Shants. They are clearly capable of moving back and forth between the mortal world and Genie Realm, so apparently that is possible? If so, why hasn't Shantae's mother connected with her daughter?

Gah. No kidding. So many questions. For a cute genie game there's some serious lore going on here! :SHmmm:

Back