Share your Wario Land remixes/covers here!

Challenged myself by attempting the Cannoli theme from memory (via EB soundfont). I unfortunately didn't get the String line 100% (I figured I wouldn't, I never did have this part quite as memorized, although I was able to remember more than I thought). The lowest set I had written an octave higher than was proper, and the last note on said set I got wrong. I also fucked up the top line by second-guessing myself in a couple places). To my surprise I had a harder time trying to remember the Hi-Hats' pattern. Altogether, I came really goddamn close. Considering that I know the other instruments like the back of my hand, though, in my mind I don't consider this as much of a success as I probably should.
also, as a bonus, i'm including an ancient chiptune mix that i rediscovered while looking for the project file to compare my from-memory ver. with

Attachments

• Cannoli Memory.mp3
    641.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Silpher Zevver.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 284
Sounds pretty cool to me. It's not perfect, but it's a nice version of a somewhat forgotten Master of Disguise song.

Challenged myself by attempting the Cannoli theme from memory (via EB soundfont). I unfortunately didn't get the String line 100% (I figured I wouldn't, I never did have this part quite as memorized, although I was able to remember more than I thought). The lowest set I had written an octave higher than was proper, and the last note on said set I got wrong. I also fucked up the top line by second-guessing myself in a couple places). To my surprise I had a harder time trying to remember the Hi-Hats' pattern. Altogether, I came really goddamn close. Considering that I know the other instruments like the back of my hand, though, in my mind I don't consider this as much of a success as I probably should.
also, as a bonus, i'm including an ancient chiptune mix that i rediscovered while looking for the project file to compare my from-memory ver. with
Cool. I was actually thinking about doing a rock cover of this!
I like the chiptune mix too!

Oh, this reminds me. To anyone planning on doing this kind of thing, you can fix your WL4 traccs' shitty export quality by changing your settings to 192kbps, the extrapolation to 6-point hermite, and checking the ACIDized box. MarioSpore and I found this out yesterday after comparing our export settings. Not sure why or which of these things is the main benefactor here, but after he set his to match up with mine his export sounded ten times better.

Last edited:
MarioSpore got the idea to challenge me to arrange some Wario Land 4 tunes to use other Wario Land 4 instruments. So, I produced two of them.
The first choice was Hotel Horror, because goddamn that song('s instrumentation) is ugly as fuck (more like Hotel Horrid) by default. Up to you whether this is an improvement.
The second one I created was Monsoon Jungle in the style of Crygor's orchestral bathroom theme.

Attachments

• monsoon restroom.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 293
  • Hotel Horror but less terrible.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Both sound pretty good to me. Though I never thought Hotel Horror's music has ugly instrumentation before. Can you maybe give more info on why you believe that in another topic? Curious how you'd judge a song's instrument quality or what not.

Both sound pretty good to me. Though I never thought Hotel Horror's music has ugly instrumentation before. Can you maybe give more info on why you believe that in another topic? Curious how you'd judge a song's instrument quality or what not.
the way it meshes together, mostly. the key to what makes or breaks an instrumentation is how everything meshes. the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but if one of your human pyramid's members is crippled things are going to look a little lop-sided, know what'm sayin'.

The biggest problem I have with it is probably the lead sounding a bit obnoxious to me (in the context of this song, anyway).
I changed my mind about not liking the drums and use of [93,2], though. With the right sound settings they're perfectly fine together.
You know what, I take it back, the instrumentation is fine, I just think the lead sounds annoying here.

Good job. But I can't grasp why anyone would call :hotelhorror:'s music horrible. It's one of the most catchy songs in the game. Granted, it's not scary by any means, but it still suits the setting perfectly. I have this headcanon that Hotel Horror was built in the 1920's (it certainly has elements or Art Deco) which was also a time that funky jazz was extremely popular. And the Hotel Horror theme has certainly elements of this too. Mario Wiki even says that Hotel Horror's music is based on a jazz piece.

Good job. But I can't grasp why anyone would call :hotelhorror:'s music horrible. It's one of the most catchy songs in the game. Granted, it's not scary by any means, but it still suits the setting perfectly.
No, I fucking love the actual piece itself, it's just the instrumentation rubs me the wrong way, y'know? Not even sure why, but the use of [63,2] bothers me for completely irrational reasons.
I have this headcanon that Hotel Horror was built in the 1920's (it certainly has elements of Art Deco) oh yeah, aren't you like an architect or some shit, or were you just an engineer of unknown specificity which was also a time that funky jazz was extremely popular. And the Hotel Horror theme has certainly elements of this too. Mario Wiki even says that Hotel Horror's music is based on a jazz piece.
The Hollywood Horror Hotel

HMMM, maybe that's why Hotel Horror as a stage seems smaller, because lightning struck the entire east wing and made it disapparate :jokeydokeys:

oh yeah, aren't you like an architect or some shit, or were you justan engineer of unknown specificity

FYI, I studied architecture, so yes, I know quite a bit of historical building styles. And on that ''unknown'' part, I have said multiple times before that I study electronics and power engineering. As a matter of fact, I gave up my architectural study career in favour of the latter.

electronics and power engineering

Back