So this is Sakurai's excuse for removing Wario's shoulder bash...

If we're talking Brawl Wario, he's still got rather lackluster power, but his u-air is significantly stronger, so it's bearable. His air speed is great, and despite mediocre knockback growth, his f-smash is quite nice (armor, transcendent priority, good startup). Waft is also strong, but takes a lot of time to become so. Bike wheels are great neutral tools thanks to Brawl's item mechanics (and, of course, being a projectile at all), once you get the bike destroyed. Dair is also fun, for reasons we both understand. All of these things are things that Smash 4 Wario lost, which is kinda dumb in and of itself, but my biggest gripe with Wario in Smash is that it simply doesn't emphasize his strength too much, and that's always been a primary trait of his. He's a fun character, but I don't feel like he plays like Wario should.

Again, Wario sorta had gained a few "gross attributes" mid N64/GC era as far as I remember mostly with animations or pictures of him picking his nose or such. But even then it's his strength that had more focus to it. If they were going to remove his Shoulder Bash they should have made it a custom move at least. ((Why Mega Man and Palutena are the only ones who have unique customs is beyond me, characters like Wario and Pac-Man show lots of potential.))

I think Brawl Wario was honestly a better representation than Smash 4 Wario, but at the very least it seems modding for Smash 4 is starting to suffice... Maybe somebody can port his Project M moveset? But either way, The thing that really annoys me is the Shoulder Bash is his trademark move, It's as iconic as Mario's very ability to Jump: JUST as memorable as we know how Sonic spins into a ball. Why take it out? Because it was "uninteresting"? Screw off, How about we just replace all of Mario's special moves with punches? After all he punched a lot in SM64 hurr durr burr.

(I know the disscusion about Wario's potrayel is long over, but I have a bit to say about it)

My problem with the whole idea of the ''two Wario depictions'' is that what the Land 4 wesite has shown really isn't any different from how he is portrayed in western materials, the Wario World manual has him brag about how much he can hold in before he needs to go to the bathroom, giving tips on stuffing as much into your mouth as possible, without having to vomit and telling us of a time where the stench of his feet has killed several cockroaches at once and that's not even going into Master Of Disguise and the many foul jokes he makes there or most importantly, his unversal unaltered game self.

You can make an argument about how the japanese material is more foul, but remember, Japan also has two childrens manga series' (that are also used to promote the games I might add) that involve stuff like Mario getting boners whenever he is near women or Mr L shoving a Pure Heart up his ass :

2zq50sk.jpg

10xdg0l.jpg

This is really more of an example of Japan having an affinity for this stuff, rather then an example of Wario just being a disgusting pig.

All I'm getting from both western and japanese materials is that Wario likes to talk about vulgar stuff and has a crass sense of humor, but neither of which tells me that he activly weaponizes the stuff that comes out of his asshole on a daily basis.

Also, the Shake It interview and how even japanese producers can come to the conclusion that grossness isn't all there is to Wario has been brought up before, but it begs repeating :

Tsukawaki: After I’d played a bunch of the games in the series, I thought Wario was pretty manly. He’s so uncool that he ends up being extremely cool. Depending on the game, he can be coarse—farting and doing stuff like that, but I didn’t want to show that side of him. As much as possible, I wanted to show a macho Wario, one who is masculine and tough. I asked the animators to emphasize strongly his manly characteristics. We built up this image step-by-step during the animation process
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2008/Drawing-Wario-The-animation-of-Wario-Land-250334.html

Vulgarity is a part of Wario's character, but it's not one that defines him, his strenght is what defines him as a playable character and his greed is his prime motivator that sets of the plot of every Wario game. On top of that he is loud, noisy, over the top, very medium aware, wacky, cocky and goofy, but also badass, only focusing on one trait and inflating it like Smash does is nothing more then flanderization.

Last edited:
Hehe, believe me, there is even worse stuff to be found in Mario Kun, certainly worse then anything that's ever been said by Wario.
Speaking of that, is Mario Kun actually good? It's getting a lot of attention lately but I wonder if it's mainly due to the previously unknown nature of it and the novelty of a Mario manga.

I can't judge the writing for obvious reasons, but they are pretty fun to look through and see how they adapt the games, thought personally I'm more partial to the Bombom/KC Comics Mario mangas, because of how batshit insane they are, Kun has it's own weirdness, but not to the same extend.

Back