The Aldegara Waterfall Tribe

KingDragonWario

Virtual Boy Apologist
I'm going to be talking a bit about my favorite Wario Land game; the one for the ill-fated Virtual Boy console and often considered its best title. Yes, I'm talking about none other than Virtual Boy Wario Land.

Not much is said about the enemy faction Wario faces in this game, nor have I seen any conclusions drawn about them here or in the Mario Wiki's trivia section, nor do they even have an official name! So today, I'm going to be taking it upon myself to do what hasn't yet been done to profess my love for this game.

MaskGuyVBWL.png

Given where they reside, their leitmotif , and the designs of the Mask-Guys, we can safely say they're a tribal cult of sorts.

Though they also have, unlike most of their kind in fiction or reality, technological literacy. As evident by the elevators at the end of each stage and Level 11 (which is a trap-ridden factory full of burners, lasers and all sorts of other deadly gizmos.) Also of note is the Tank Boss in the stage after.

So then what about this guy?

thedemonhead.png

This is the final boss of the game, a being known simply as "Demon Head". He has no backstory, no dialogue, not much of anything that would traditionally make a good villain. But you have to admit, he's pretty cool looking.

But is it possible he has some kind of link with the rest of the enemies in the game? I think so. Why else would his likeness be etched into the background of the Treasure Rooms? Given this and how you see in the intro Mask Guys carrying treasure to a gigantic door with his mug on it before tossing it in as some sort of tribute, it's likely Demon Head is a deity this tribe worships. One who grants his followers with power in exchange for riches. It only makes sense when you connect the dots, and it makes even more sense when you consider he's the final obstacle preventing Wario from running away with all the loot!

Last edited:
That's a very interesting insight into a game that is mostly out of my scope of knowledge. I think you described exacly what the story behind this enigmatic boss actually is, and it does indeed sound very plausible. ...and dark for a Wario game.

Great post, Mr. "Virtual Boy Apologist"! I used to be the self-proclaimed champion of the Virtual Boy / VB Wario Land 'round these parts, so it's great to see somebody else who shares my views. Virtual Boy Wario Land is an utterly spectacular game in just about every respect, but I've always particularly appreciated its subtle sense of storytelling -- your post highlights that.

Believe it or not, you aren't the first person to make the tribal connections; I've long theorized that the little "Mask Guys" were some sort of demonic cult of the Awazon who idolized the Demon Head, gathering gold & treasure as an "offering" to the God (or whatever Demon Head is supposed to be). That tidbit about him granting power and technology to the tribe in return never crossed my mind, however. Interesting stuff!

Even better, I love that you picked up on that little thematic drumbeat which pops up throughout the game's score. The Wario Land games have always been graced with some surprisingly sophisticated use of music (especially Wario Land 3, which features an extremely well-utilized score by Kozue Ishikawa), so it's nice to see somebody besides myself recognize their greatness in a sense beyond "it sounds cool".
If you'll allow me to be a shameless plug, I actually arranged an orchestral suite of Totaka's score for VB Wario Land several years ago. I've come to regret some of the creative choices I made on it (in fact, I'd probably handle it 100% differently today), but it's still a fun project to reflect upon. Being a fellow Virtual Boy enthusiast, you may find it interesting!

Great post, Mr. "Virtual Boy Apologist"! I used to be the self-proclaimed champion of the Virtual Boy / VB Wario Land 'round these parts, so it's great to see somebody else who shares my views. Virtual Boy Wario Land is an utterly spectacular game in just about every respect, but I've always particularly appreciated its subtle sense of storytelling -- your post highlights that.

Believe it or not, you aren't the first person to make the tribal connections; I've long theorized that the little "Mask Guys" were some sort of demonic cult of the Awazon who idolized the Demon Head, gathering gold & treasure as an "offering" to the God (or whatever Demon Head is supposed to be). That tidbit about him granting power and technology to the tribe in return never crossed my mind, however. Interesting stuff!

Even better, I love that you picked up on that little thematic drumbeat which pops up throughout the game's score. The Wario Land games have always been graced with some surprisingly sophisticated use of music (especially Wario Land 3, which features an extremely well-utilized score by Kozue Ishikawa), so it's nice to see somebody besides myself recognize their greatness in a sense beyond "it sounds cool".
If you'll allow me to be a shameless plug, I actually arranged an orchestral suite of Totaka's score for VB Wario Land several years ago. I've come to regret some of the creative choices I made on it (in fact, I'd probably handle it 100% differently today), but it's still a fun project to reflect upon. Being a fellow Virtual Boy enthusiast, you may find it interesting!

Oh man, I love this arrangement. You sir, deserve a medal for being such a devoted and fellow champion of Virtual Boy Wario Land.

Back