The Mario RPG thread

The point is, it's possible to write characters to be memorable and unique despite being generic-looking characters. The Mario RPG games have a good history of this. Remember the Goombas that Luigi meets in Castle Bleck? What about the minions Peach meets in the intermissions of the first two Paper Mario games? And of course, let's not forget that everyone in the Glitz Pit save for Rawk Hawk, Grubba, and Jolene is a generic-looking enemy character.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Or in other words, why Miyamoto should be kicked out of Nintendo. It's only since he's gotten more involved in these RPGs and Mario games that things seem to have started going to hell.

Sort of reminds me of how the Smash series progressed. After Melee's success, Sakurai was held in such esteem that his ideas went largely unquestioned. He had a team working with him, sure, but at that point, what he said goes, whereas in the first couple installments, they had a whole team of people making decisions together. And, well, that leads to things like Brawl and For Glory. Miyamoto's experiencing something similar, where he's simply so influential that if he says something should happen, it will happen. And while he's a very creative man who's had some great ideas in the past, he's far from infallible, and he's had some pretty bad ideas recently that just got green-lighted because he's Miyamoto.

Goombella is awesome, and she's basically just a Goomba with hair and a helmet in terms of design. She's one of my favorite characters in the series. You know why? Because she had an interesting personality that she could exhibit throughout the course of the entire game, because partners with interesting personalities are conducive to many good opportunities for good writing. You know what Paper Mario 3DS was going to have before Miyamoto told them to make Sticker Star lacks? Partners.

Best hashtag ever:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/MakePaperMarioGreatAgain?src=hash

And some nice pics and videos:

comparisonpm.png

Am I the only one who would like a SPM sequel? Yes, It wasn't the whole turn based system but to me it had the perfect blend of platforming and RPG elements honestly. I don't see why it's hated, It's not the "Sonic 06" of the franchise. That goes to Sticker Star with everything stripped out of it that made all the first 3 games good in the first place.

It saddens me they decide to make Mario this TOO simple of a thing, They really should go back to the route they were taking with Sunshine with new ideas and storylines and everything. I miss that.

Hell, Am I the only one who would love our plumber to speak some full dialogue instead of just making grunts now and then? Charles Martinet's vines show what potential could unfold if Mario were allowed to speak.

Back