The Mario RPG thread

Oh great, now Mario & Luigi is a series in trouble as well. When will Miyamoto just freaking leave the Mario series alone and maybe find another job?

Wasn´t paper jam bros released like really recently? while first week sales are important i´m not sure if it´s safe to evaluate the entire commercial life of a game just because of first days sales....after all there´s games that sold like crap at first and because they had strong legs their ended seeling for long periods of time and end becoming a success (Project X Zone for example)

maybe it´s a little of wishful thinking on my part xD , but hopefully the game does well, in my case i did my part and bought it just a few hours ago, i heard pretty positive impressions so far so i´m pretty hyped for it :p

"Beloved"
I hope the gameplay is at least better than Sticker Star. Aside from the bland atmosphere and lack of story the gameplay didn't do it for me at all.

Well, if Paper Jam is any indication, this game will bomb hard.

They'll soon realise exactly why Sticker Star was a bad idea when that happens and the series is basically dead in the water.

They could at least put in the Toad Brigade and Toadette and even Toadsworth if they want to get that crazy with Toads but stick to only main series characters.

Heh :
gfd.JPG

I really wonder what Nintendo is trying to do with this, there is no way in hell that they couldn't have expected any backlash.

If it sells poorly, perhaps they'll realise their mistake.

Or just cancel the Paper Mario series, unfortunately.

There's no hype in me for this. Not a single drop.

Gonna call it now: Mario is gonna go through 6 generic worlds (one for each color), fight lots of old enemies except they now have color gimmicks to them, Peach is gonna get kidnapped at some point, he's gonna fight bowser at the end, the bosses are gonna be variations on existing Mario baddies, maybe there are gonna be Koopalings, if not just Bowser Jr. again, a generic looking Kamek is gonna be there, there will not be a star points system, all the NPCs will be generic Toads, some of them recolors, Mario's companion will be that floating paint bucket with eyes and he's gonna have a smidge of a personality but practically no backstory, the backstory of the color town is gonna be as rushed as the sticker comet's backstory, there's going to be no acknowledgement of any pre-Sticker Star Paper Mario games, Luigi is going to have a very minor role, probably not even a speaking role and there will be close to no sidequests or subplots.

Wanna make a generic Paper Mario Bingo out of this?

As a big fan of Bowser, I have to voice my biggest gripe with Sticker Star: They gave Bowser no dialogue. At all. Like, isn't this the series which has the best characterization of Bowser to date? With hilarious dialogue and great character chemistry with everyone around him, especially Kammy? Why would they possibly think that it's a good idea to have Bowser be completely silent the whole game? You'd think that, after grabbing a source of ultimate power, he'd be gloating the whole game, and provide witty banter in between-chapter intermissions as per usual or something. But no. Nothing. This alone is enough to ruin it for me. And also the gameplay is boring and the game as a whole lacks the interesting cast of previous games, I guess. That too.

My guess is that Miyamoto felt insulted by how doofily his precious Bowser was portrayed in TTYD and SPM and how much of a screw-up he was so he told the Sticker Star Team not to do that again or he'd fire them all so since they didn't wanna risk it they made him say nothing at all.

But he is. He's a goofy guy who keeps getting thwarted in his schemes by Mario. That's his thing. He can still be threatening (whether it be threatening to you or to the villains) while maintaining his personality, like in Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario, Bowser's Inside Story, and Dream Team. Take that away, and you've got a non-memorable generic villain like in Super Mario Bros. But then again, Sticker Star got far more than just Bowser wrong in terms of interesting characterization. Remember all the unique Toads in the first Paper Mario, each with their own personalities and names? Meh, screw that, everyone is now just Toad.

What's sad about the Toads is that it seems like the developers really tried to give some of them unique personalities but since they all look the same it's almost impossible see them as characters.
Like, when I noticed that the traveling Toad kept appearing I was wondering... "Is this an attempt at making a character? Am I supposed to like this random Toad? Is he supposed to be unique? Is this even the same Toad or just another one?"
When they all look the same you have to talk to them and find out whether you've even met them before.

In Superstar Saga they made a joke about this with the koopa who was like "I'm THAT guy from before." but in Sticker Star it went from a joke to sad truth.

• Useful
Reactions: 607
Back